No more friendly LV for ah lian...

Apollo

Home > Breaking News > Courts and Crime >

Story Sep 24, 2008

3 caught for peddling fakes

By Chua Hian Hou

THREE people, including a polytechnic student, were arrested for peddling fake luxury goods over the Internet in a police crackdown on Tuesday.

The trio, two men and a woman aged 18 to 29, 'will be released on bail pending further investigations', said a police statement on Tuesday night.

Counterfeit goods from luxury brands like Louis Vuitton, computers and documents were seized in the five-hour crackdown.

The trio had been passing off their counterfeits, which they sourced from suppliers in China, as the real deal for at least three months via their blog websites. They would collect money from the unwitting buyers via online banking or ATM transfers, and then send the items purchases via post or pass it to the buyers personally.

The Straits Times understands that in the course of investigation , 'trap purchases' were also made to verify that the products were indeed fakes.

'The police and rights owners will continue to mount operations against infringers who think they can exploit the anonymity of the Internet to ply their trade,' said the statement.

Those convicted of selling counterfeit items face fines of up to $100,000, as well as jail terms of up to 5 years.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNew...ory_282044.html

---------------

Edited by Apollo
↡ Advertisement

i know u r into such stuff, i'm sourcing for old model of Gucci wallet which is no longer in production. was told to go to 2nd hand shop. do u know of any reliable ones since i can't tell the real from the fake?

Neutral Newbie

Should have known better than to commit the offence, in Singapore somemore!

I won't be surprised they are foreigners since they get their goods easily from China.

And consumers, never buy any branded goods from dubious or unauthorised dealers. Many are fake top grade AA that nowadays it is so difficult to differentiate.

i think its because they passed off the counterfiets as the real deal, pocketing huge profits, which is very wrong.

if they sold it as a replica usually authorities dont clam down that hard rite

why these people do this kind of business? surely they should know they will be caught easily [:(][:p]

Dun think so. Those selling fake hi-fi speakers in vans still flourish till today.

Those are not fakes .. they are just cheap china-made speaker box marketed as high end branded stuff. That's why police also cannot do much to them coz there 's no legal complications.

some months ago, i was walking from jurong mrt station to the bus interchange..near the "handal indah" ticket counter, was this china man..selling imitation adidas apparels.

as the bus left the interchange, i saw the man pack up and leave.

prolly got chased away. [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Replica is not illegal in a sense. There are alot of replica handbags, shoes in Singapore as well selling openly in the shops.

To pass off counterfeits as the authentic stuff, yes, infringement of copyright.

i know u r into such stuff, i'm sourcing for old model of Gucci wallet which is no longer in production. was told to go to 2nd hand shop. do u know of any reliable ones since i can't tell the real from the fake?

I think you got the wrong idea.

I'm not "into" such stuff.

I do buy quality stuff when i feel they are of the quality i want, thats all.

Sorry, cant help.

They should have paid AirAsia tix to go Bangkok to buy. tongue.gif

Anyway, some pasar malams going on now peddle such stuff. They just keep it hidden and will take out if you request for them.

dunno leh.. tat day, i think 2 month back got some1 say waterlooloo center 2nd floor got 1 shop selling 2 hand bags.

i tot tat one is feng shui shop. unsure.gif

↡ Advertisement