Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:55 PM
When I top up battery water today, found some white powder/chemical sticking on the battery positive cable terminal, is it normal? or the battery will be flat soon?
My battery is 19 month old, and voltage output is 14.2V / 12.4 V when engine is turned on the off respectively.
Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:49 PM
Looks like there is a leak...acid build up. Will cause bad connection.
Edited by Silver_blade, 30 September 2008 - 09:52 PM.
Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:50 PM
pour warm/hot water over the terminal, this will dissolve the white powder and then wipe it clean.
Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:54 PM
It's just oxidation. Disconnect the terminal, use some wd40 clean it up, make sure it's dry and apply some grease on it.
Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:55 PM
Yup...use hot water.
Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:02 PM
>> Looks like there is a current leak
only this cable connects the battery to all the electrical devices,how does the current leak happen? current leak will cause white powder/chemical?
Edited by Sstar, 30 September 2008 - 10:17 PM.
Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:08 PM
You should do what Help 1 suggested....pour hot water one it, clean it completely, grease it and re tighten it if possible.
Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:11 PM
Hey u all ask ppl to pour hot water over it but never tell ppl to disconnect both the terminals first. He gong gong go and short circuit everything sia...
Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:15 PM
>>>>It's just oxidation. Disconnect the terminal, use some wd40 clean it up, make sure it's dry and apply some grease on it.
actually the powder is not on the juction of battery and cable, is on the junction of cable connector and copper wires.
Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:20 PM
Connected to earth terminal?
Edited by Silver_blade, 30 September 2008 - 10:20 PM.
Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:22 PM
Yes it can happen there too cos of the acid from the battery react with the air and moisture aka oxidation.
If need to u have to cut off some of the insulation and clean it thoroughly. Best is to use wd40 and a wire brush and a cloth to clean dry. Apply grease on the connectors and expose wires is to somewhat seal it off from oxidizing.
Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:23 PM
no, positive terminal.
If possible, will upload a picture tomorrow.
Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:31 PM
U go and clean off the grease on the connection? Right?
It will oxidize and corrode the contact points.
A lot of ppl dun know dan go and clean off the slimy grease cos they think it's dirty. It's there for a reason.
Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:38 PM
>>>>Yes it can happen there too cos of the acid from the battery react with the air and moisture aka oxidation.
how come the acid from the battery come out? I never top up too much water leh...
Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:40 PM
>>>>U go and clean off the grease on the connection? Right?
>>>>It will oxidize and corrode the contact points.
>>>>A lot of ppl dun know dan go and clean off the slimy grease cos they think it's >>>>dirty. It's there for a reason.
No, the grease still there, so the junction of battery and cable connector is normal.
Edited by Sstar, 30 September 2008 - 10:55 PM.
Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:03 PM
Your battery is boiling from overcharging. White deposits are the electrolyte spewed from the vent caps as the gases follows the contours of your bonnet and oxidises. Why there? because of the dc current charge attraction. The white deposit is actually lead sulphate crystals same ones as in the internal plates.
If I am not wrong, observe to see if your battery has signs of bloatedness at the sides. Usually in tandem with overboiling/overcharging. Either your battery has bad construction or your alternator voltage regulator is faulty. Take note during this time
Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:37 AM
Base on yr battery age and voltage reading - yr battery is still healthy. Formation of suprhric oxide ( due to evaporation of battery water cause by heat/ overcharging or overfill) at the battery terminals is a common occurrence - nothing to worry about.
To overcome this problem , what you need is a used tooth brush , some baking soda/water ( if not avaliable use hot soapy water)Dip the brush into the solution and brush the terminals and finish off with a piece of rage.
Remember to dispose off the use brush and rage properly as the oxide is very corrosive.
Visit My Facebook for the latest automotive breaking news & innovative specialty tools.
Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:35 PM
You guys got half the answer correct....the green stuff is caused by oxidation between the acid and terminal leads BUT the acid is coming out from the batt from the terminal leads because of a leak. This is normally caused by twisting or over tightening of the terminal wire breaking the seal of the batt plastic. Pouring hot water or cleaning away the green stuff and applying wd40 or vaseline will only help for a while.
If you see the green stuff or worst still white stuff appearing around the battery on other
car parts or bonnet....change the battery
source : http://sgfiat.com/index.php?showtopic=2429&st=0
Edited by Mingsect, 01 October 2008 - 12:35 PM.