Anyone cancel order from dealer after placing deposit?

Wolverine23

My friend did though ... say 5 months back ...

Paid a deposit of 500 for a Honda Stream somewhere in Early April . (Promised to delivered in Mid April ...The lastest before labour day) Waited and waited ..Still no sight till 1st May ... Give several excuse like Car hold by custom ...Custom come out liao ...now fixing leather ... then now fixing Audio ...(Keep on delaying weeks after weeks)

Then came in the ultimate ..say what due to report low value of OMV...car need to tow back to custom etc ...all and all by end May ...still no smell of the leather of the new car .

In the end . friend Tulan ...say wanted to cancel ...But the PI also steady lor ...pay back the $500 deposit ...

Then my friend went to another PI ...got his new car in 2 weeks time ...chop chop swee swee ...

Edited by Ixiz

I think talk to the Boss will be much better ... SE will still need to seek his Boss approval also ..

I think in this case ...PI should be easier to return deposit than AD though . (Correct me if i am wrong)

Also try to give valid and reasonable reason on why you want to take back the deposit .

last time when i book my car .. i also wanted to take back my deposit ...(because the price offered by another PI is more attractive). Somemore the deposit amount is less than what i could save if i change PI .

In the end ..i just negoiates with my current PI for better freebies lor ...

Other reason like kenna retrench or sacked suddenly ... kenna hit by stock market etc ..I am not sure can be used or not ...but if really kenna the above also LL ...really no money how to buy car ???

• Praise 1

very difficult to get back deposit if you initiate the cancellation...

read the contract clause you signed and if there's no mention of deposit being forfeited then you still have some chance.

• Praise 1

What's the car you are getting ?

Last time i pay for my Honda City from AD ...I pay around $2000 (For insurance , paperworks , first deposit ) if i still remember correctly .

Anyway . My take is ...anything that ask for deposit ... i always request for the lowest amount they can accept if possible ...

At least if anything goes wrong ...i don't lose much ...Unless if they state die die must deposit at a certain amount (say certain % of the value purchased)...then LL again lor ...

I was offer this option + full refund when the dealer could not fulfill part of the T&Cs. But I opted for the other option which is to proceed with it + AD compensation.

But under normal circumstances....I would think that a cancellation (initiated by you) would mean you will forgo part or all of your down payment.

That i agreed ...normally anything that is deposit say for buying a house or car ...they will state something like "No deposit will be refunded " or "Deposit will be forfeit bla bla bla ..."

$5000 deposit not a small amount ...not like my case $500 ... [laugh]

unless there is a clause or agreement which you and the seller had stated earlier that if car or product is not delivery by when and when ...(or if bank loan is not approved etc) then maybe you had a case ...

But again ..all must be stated in black or white ...

Will have to depend whether the AD has secured COE for you. I've done that before in 2004 and managed to get my deposit of 10k back from AD. But the process was long and nasty, complained to their management several times before they finally agreed to return my deposit. They failed to secure COE for me after 3 rounds and keep asking me to topup, took my used car away and left me carless for a while. Got frustrated by them and decided to cancel order.

Btw, why ask? U want to cancel your stream?

I believe that in Singapore, we have a 7 day cooling off period. i.e. if you cancel your order within 7 days, you can get back your money. So make sure that you have black and white and you can bring the dealer to Small Claims Tribunal if they don't pay back. (Not completely sure, check with your lawyer friends)

As for me, I once placed an order for a luncher with the AD but decided to cancel it the next day. They refunded me the deposit less $50 for admin charge, which I thought was quite fair.

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

Would like to seek advice.

recently choose but not yet purchase a used car 2010 (Kia) from 88 motor trading, was asked to put $1000 deposit. I requested used car dealer to send to Kia service centre to get warranty check as when asked the saleman if warranty is vaild, answer is dun know. Found out from Kai servcice centre that the milleage meter has been tampered.

Ask for refund of deposit, so diffcult, was asked to view another same model, different color Kia. Went down, take a look at car, seems ok. Saleman said if that's the case will transfer the $1000 deposit to the 2nd car. Within 2 days, called saleman, informed him dun want 2nd car, was told by him that the deposit $1000 will be forefit.

So everyone out there, dun even even go to 88 motor trading.