Anyone cancel order from dealer after placing deposit?

Wolverine23

Hi guys, I need help...

I am new to this forum and new to buying 2nd hand car. I commit to a Honda City 07 Feb car, left with 22 months.

Before I commit to buy, the dealer verbally said ' if car is no good, you can don't take. The dealer actually discourage me to send for evaluation and stress that car is in very good condition. But I insist after I hear advise from a friend.

After he gotten the report, he tried to hide from me by just send the brief page stated Grade B. When I ask for full report then he call me immediately and telling me that is only pass or fail. He only send me 3 pages after I insist wanted to see the detailed report before I go down to collect my car. I have already purchase my insurance and cashiers order.

The condition is not like what he mentioned. Overall is Grade B but under remarks there were things not working as well as show sign of repair or worn. Before he watspp me, he tried to tell me that this and that not working and he already fix it....my reply to him is ; why you didn't tell me and hide from me? His explanation was he wanted me to go down and explain to me....

I decided not to take the car since he mentioned if car no good, I can don't take. However, he refused to refund my 2K deposit.

Asking price is $31,800 and he reduce to $29,800. Apart from that, he charge a $800 agreement fee.

I told him I am willing to pay him $500 for the work he had done ( time spend and transport to STA) and he can take back the car to sell at perhaps higher price since he claim that his car is in very good condition. He has got no loss. However, he refused,

Anyone can advice me what to do?

Thank for the feedback. As one of the bro mentioned. Think will be better to solve out a way with dealer to meet one another compromise.

Hi guys, I need help...

I am new to this forum and new to buying 2nd hand car. I commit to a Honda City 07 Feb car, left with 22 months.

Before I commit to buy, the dealer verbally said ' if car is no good, you can don't take. The dealer actually discourage me to send for evaluation and stress that car is in very good condition. But I insist after I hear advise from a friend.

After he gotten the report, he tried to hide from me by just send the brief page stated Grade B. When I ask for full report then he call me immediately and telling me that is only pass or fail. He only send me 3 pages after I insist wanted to see the detailed report before I go down to collect my car. I have already purchase my insurance and cashiers order.

The condition is not like what he mentioned. Overall is Grade B but under remarks there were things not working as well as show sign of repair or worn. Before he watspp me, he tried to tell me that this and that not working and he already fix it....my reply to him is ; why you didn't tell me and hide from me? His explanation was he wanted me to go down and explain to me....

I decided not to take the car since he mentioned if car no good, I can don't take. However, he refused to refund my 2K deposit.

Asking price is $31,800 and he reduce to $29,800. Apart from that, he charge a $800 agreement fee.

I told him I am willing to pay him $500 for the work he had done ( time spend and transport to STA) and he can take back the car to sell at perhaps higher price since he claim that his car is in very good condition. He has got no loss. However, he refused,

Anyone can advice me what to do?

Thank for the feedback. As one of the bro mentioned. Think will be better to solve out a way with dealer to meet one another compromise.

this would be hard to get back the deposit ......... you should place deposit only after ensuring not before . 2nd hand dealers are like that ...

I booked a car from a big AD with a trade-in car and deposited >$2k by CC. Two days later, I called to cancel the deal (as I called, the SE told me that he was about to call me to inform me that my bank loan had been approved). No questions asked. I just gave the excuse that my family did not agree to buying this car. He told me that the refund would take about more than a month as it was through credit Card. I got full refund!

which car was that >?

• Praise 2

this would be hard to get back the deposit ......... you should place deposit only after ensuring not before . 2nd hand dealers are like that ...

which car was that >?

Tell him you buy them will shoot him for lemon.

Tell him you buy them will shoot him for lemon.

I had decided not to buy the car and cancelled the insurance policy,

Had call CASE and will go down personally to lodge a complaint.

Since he mentioned, if car no good, I can don't take. I do not know car dealers are so unscrupulous

Edited by purpledream

I had decided not to buy the car and cancelled the insurance policy,

Had call CASE and will go down personally to lodge a complaint.

Since he mentioned, if car no good, I can don't take. I do not know car dealers are so unscrupulous

sorry to disappoint you but you have no case.

the statement in red is what we call a sales man talk, and you have no avenue to get back at him.

FYI. the most unscrupulous job in the world is a....yes, car salesman.

• Praise 1

sorry to disappoint you but you have no case.

the statement in red is what we call a sales man talk, and you have no avenue to get back at him.

FYI. the most unscrupulous job in the world is a....yes, car salesman.

even durian seller also more honest lor. lol

• Praise 2

If I place deposit and dealer (AD) already bid a COE for me under my name, and then I cancel - will I be able to take back my COE (assume there was 10k placed with govt to secure COE) and use it for another car with another dealer?

If I place deposit and dealer (AD) already bid a COE for me under my name, and then I cancel - will I be able to take back my COE (assume there was 10k placed with govt to secure COE) and use it for another car with another dealer?

When you sign the agreement with the AD, there is a clause saying that if you are successful in bidding for COE, you are liable to pay for the entire car.

When you sign the agreement with the AD, there is a clause saying that if you are successful in bidding for COE, you are liable to pay for the entire car.

No such clause in my agreement. I don't believe they can force you to pay money if you forgo the deposit.

I am just checking whether the current TCOE (10k down) belongs to me or AD.

No such clause in my agreement. I don't believe they can force you to pay money if you forgo the deposit.

COE secured by AD in your name cannot be transferred. If you don't buy a car with it LTA will forfeit 10K.

That's why AD have to get a minimum 10K in deposit from you just in case you chickened out. AD can't force you to buy the car. You just lose the $10K (or whatever deposit you paid).

Edited by zerobim08

COE secured by AD in your name cannot be transferred. If you don't buy a car with it LTA will forfeit 10K.

That's why AD have to get a minimum 10K in deposit from you just in case you chickened out. AD can't force you to buy the car. You just lose the $10K (or whatever deposit you paid).

Since the COE is under our name, can't we take the COE and buy car from other dealer?

Since the COE is under our name, can't we take the COE and buy car from other dealer?

The COE was secured under the AD account in your name. Legally, it is the AD that owned the COE not you. I doubt the AD will "transfer" the COE to you at face value so you could go let another AD makes the profit from selling you a car.

Edited by zerobim08

The COE was secured under the AD account in your name. Legally, it is the AD that owned the COE not you. I doubt the AD will "transfer" the COE to you at face value so you could go let another AD makes the profit from selling you a car.

is it? i thought if the dealer bid the coe for u under your nric, the coe is yours??

I understand we authorized the AD to bid for the COE on our behalf.. but the COE legally belongs to us and not the AD.. legally speaking, I don't think there is any need to transfer the COE from AD to us..

You have signed an agreement aka a legal document with the AD. Can anyhow cancel meh? :D

Can lah. I mean you will most likely be sued by the AD and be asked to pay for the AD's losses in preparing a car for you. You will have to get a legal representative and fight it out in court. Worth it meh?

Just like you sign a phone contract. It's is also a legal agreement between you and the phone service provider. Any premature termination you will have to pay a penalty or basically losses to the service provider. Even buying a phone have a legal agreement dun mention about a car that cost a lot more.

No offense but IMO you are not buying a toy. You would give serious consideration before signing on the dotted line. If ppl can just pull out of an agreement anyhow dan what's the point of signing the agreement in the first place? Do ppl actually know what they are getting into when they say they want to cancel a legal agreement? Do you know how ppl will look at you? LoL... And what is your reason for pulling out of the agreement? Bro, even if your ah gong is LKY you cannot anyhow cancel here cancel there as you like.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 4

I would think that ADs sure protect themselves against customers who secure COE already but don't purchase the car. I just read my own agreement for C&C and it does state that the vehicle price applies (including COE) once bidding is successful, unless you sign with a PI that may have a lapse in this clause, otherwise with an AD, I would think that it's tough.

↡ Advertisement