To Malacca..

Robo

I did a search and found that there wasnt much info on the other threads. am thinking of driving up this wkend. anyone can recommend some tips like where to go, which hotel to stay and wad the toll like and whats the must go place.

actually am contemplating to go KL also, so which one will u all recommend? malacca or KL?

thanks alot!

↡ Advertisement

u can get info frm....

http://wikitravel.org/en/Malacca

quite a readup but infomative.

hotel depends on budget... if wanna spend on luxury living... willing to pay ...

can try the new holiday inn... my fren went... very new very nice. v worth it.

budget u can source for budget hotel or hostel.

Check my VT page on Melaka.

KL is OK but does not have the charm of Melaka.

Depends on what you want. If it is shopping, movies, Petronas Towers, KL Tower and all that, KL is OK. Just that the jams might drive you crazy.

Melaka is more historical. Jonkers has night market. Quaint boutique hotels and a more distinct cuisine if you know where to find Portuguese food.

I'll be travelling to Melaka this Sat for a daytrip.

Will be going to Mahkota Parade Shopping Centre and the new S/c opposite it.

U can try visiting the A'famosa Waterpark.

http://www.afamosa.com/main.php

Makan-wise, u can try visiting the many many seafood stalls at Umbai. It's at the Pulau Besar Jetty.

As for toll, it should be around RM 55.70 from causeway to Ayer keroh.

You can use the toll calculator on the PLUS Webbie.

http://www.plus.com.my/tollcalculator.asp

word of caution:

-Like most parts of msia, Melaka has a good record of floods.

if you are kia-su like me and wouldnt want to wake up in an ocean of water (with your ride in it), choose a hotel that has multi-storey carpark - Renaissance is good.

Tips:

-Like you, it was my 'virgin' trip to Melaka. The good thing is that I have my GPS with me. It can be pretty tiring, but not impossible, to walk the town of Melaka - the thing is, the streets are One-Way. So having a GPS with an updated map is [thumbsup]

Melaka is know for their brown sugar - Gula Melaka. So do try their Cheng-do if you can.. there is one in Jonker street that is pretty famous (Sorry i forgot the name, try google)

There is a Teochew Seafood restaurant that is also well-known in town.. Teo.. something loong.. [sweatdrop]

Have a good trip!

Edited by Hermit

is GPS really needed??? [laugh] im thinking of just getting maps.. i hope its ok. so far all mine JB trips and all the melbourne driving all depends on maps only...

looks like alot of food for me to try out.. [;)]

thanks for all the links. really useful!

im driving a silver aveo5, do watch out for me. [:p][scholar]

Neutral Newbie

I just went a few months back. For the food. Stayed at Holiday Inn. New and nice, depending on your budget.

Drive is short, about two hours if very leisurely at 110 km/h (after crossing checkpoint).

Alot of good peranakan food there. Really much finer (and cheaper) cuisine there compared to Singapore. Do a search on Google about the makan. Many places to eat: Peranakan, Chinese, Portugese. The shopping there can actually be missed. The "new" shopping centre has a giant. But there's really nothing much to see, shopping wise, IMO.

Hi there, i will be going to Melaka on 17-19 Oct also. And also it's my first trip travel up the NS experssway

By the way, I had already book my hotel at Everly Resort Hotel. And cost me about RM171 per night after discount. Well i had bought a discount voucher "65% discount on the actual price" at $10 from my friend.

↡ Advertisement