Lasik Eye Surgery

Driven

Neutral Newbie

I m having v high astig of 650 degree in each eyes, with v minimal myopia. I had v thick cornea, which is gd for laser but having ruby cornea....so nid to hav epi lasik. However, the lasik machine cld only correct up to 500 degree astig. I will hav leftover degree which means I nid to wear glasses, cannot wear contact lenses cos aft lasik, cornea might be different shape. So contact lense might drop off. So Dr Marc Tay advised me to wait for better future technology in the lasik machine.

10yrs bk, lasik machine cant even correct astig...now they cld correct up to 500 degree astig. So hopefully in few yrs time, shd be able to correct much higher degree. I m v positive abt it.

↡ Advertisement

HAd mine done with Marc Tay 1.5 yrs ago...I have only astig so a but tricky and costly as I have to opt for custom wavefront. 1 eye astig came back so I did enhancement. Now bith are corrected and ok. Do note that once your flab is cut, it is for life meaning it will never heal completely...so have to protect your eye...

Neutral Newbie

Does it matter if the surgeon is wearing specs?

Probably if he is a lasik surgeon he should try it on himself right? Maybe not that he doesn't trust the technology of lasik, but doesn't trust the surgeon who will be performing it on him?

But not everyone is suitable for lasik I guess and some just prefer specs?

Turbocharged
...my spec will drop easily when doing SBJ and shuttle run...laugh.gif

What is SBJ?

My wife also did at LSC. Total cost came up to around $2341.

The procedure is like going to the doc for common cold.

Neutral Newbie

I checked with an old fren who is in this industry for long time. He told me not to do yet because of whole lots of side effects u can possibly get. Do u really wanna risk it? He also mentioned there is a new technology which is more expensive yet dun have to cut the cornea... but still its new. I really dare not try. I see my colleagues having dry eyes and keep blinking every few mins. [shocked][shocked] Yes it solves the prob but the side effects can be irritating.

Did it @ LSC 1 year ago.. Very crowded place..

No pain or whatsoever, but have complications like dry eyes, halo, glare at night which is caused by the so called "healing" of the corneo flap which should disappear after 3-9 months, depending on your degree.. Day eyesight have no problem at all, but may need to wear sunglasses for the first few days.. Can look cool in office..

So far never heard of blindness caused by lasik surgery in Singapore, but do have people kenna eye infection.. Most likely they never use the antibiotic as stated by the doctor or another type of bacteria infect the eye.. Chance is 1/10000.. Easier to strike 4D, i guess..

Also have people who did not get the result they want or prefect eyesight.. Maybe some expected to get eagle's eyesight..

All the thought of surgery going wrong will sure come into your mind.. So go for it only if you feel comfortable..

This lasik surgery video. Not mine.. but basically what happen.. I think may put a lot of people off..

Do not watch if you have weak heart or stomach!!

Wa lao, the video freak me out. Before watching i am against lasik. After watching, i am even more against it.

unsure.gifunsure.gifunsure.gifunsure.gifunsure.gif

Actually these videos are mainly from US as their clinics there are very loosely regulated. Laser machines every grade everywhere...SGP is strict in laser use. Of course, this is still a surgery meaning risk involved.

U can go Dr Mark Tay @ lsc.org or Dr Leonard Ang @ SNEC. Both r highly recommended at flowerpod.com.sg forum. If I m not wrong, lsc is having promo on certain credit cards n oso 12mths interest free instalment. My SIL had hers wif lsc, she's v satisfied wif their service. I went too but not suitable cos degree too high...but overall eye evaluation is v gd, foc. I tot they might ask me to pay. tongue.gif

But u r a gal, I highly recomm Dr Mark Tay...he's charming though not young liaoz... lipsrsealed.gif

how much is your degrees?

Been hesitating for a long while whether should go for the lasik surgery.

Always feel how nice it is to wake up with clear vision without having to find my glasses.

Somehow, the thought of "what if i'm the "lucky one" the surgery gone wrong. Permanent blindness, partial blindness, loss job, etc. All these disturb and distort the decision process.

Anyone cares to share your experience with lasik. [blush]

Did mine ... in M'sia ... JB .... in 2004 ... never looked back since.

Enjoying every single day after that till now .... [nod][nod]

When I did mine ....

My thought was .... "If suay ... then bo bian lor .... just do it" .....

Edited by Guyver

Ask yourself these questions:

- If wear specs, will u die?

- If u blind, will u still enjoy life as before?

I have a few friends who took the plunge & went for lasik. Lucky nothing happen. Some jio me to go for it but i already declare i die-die won't go for lasik unless there is insurance to cover blindness from lasik (practically impossible at all)

u will never know when u will be the lucky one.... if it doesn't happen GOOD...

BUT IF U REALLY STRIKE LOTTERY ... HOW ???!!!

think of the consequences: no more family to see, no more chio bu to see, cannot drive, problem finding job, pay cut or loss, etc...

WORTH IT MEH?

u only live once & why take such risk? all the beautiful things in life u see now will end if anything happens during lasik. What if tat day the surgeon screw up hand shake? blackout? or watever sxxt happens?

wearing specs - no big deal at all

Think twice again I say...

I fully agree with you ....

After considering all that .... I went for Lasik .... [nod][nod]

Now can see chio gals EVERYWHERE liao!! [sly][sly]