Opel Zafira 1.8, any review?

Theman

Neutral Newbie

I have a 2002 Zafira 1.6 manual (the original model, also known as Zafira-A)). When new, getting about 12-13 km/l. Now at 6+ years old, about 11-12 km/l. The Zafira-B(i.e. current model) should get less because it is 2.2 and it is an auto.

Anyway, cannot just look at FC alone. 6 years ago, my top priority was safety. And then, it was one of the few cars that have 4 airbags. And the Zafira-B is NCAP 5 stars.

When I looked at the overall package of price, safety, features, comfort, etc., Zafira was my choice 6 years ago. And if I have to make the choice now, it would probably still be the Zafira!

You can search some of the older posts, as some bro had done a comparison of Zafira and Stream (just last year). Or join Opel owners at http://www.dreamvale.net/sgopel/.

↡ Advertisement

I think most people who bought budget-conti mainly go for safety. My top priority when shopping for an MPV was safety, particularly children safety on top of the usual NCAP rating. I need a car with IsoFix anchors for the 2 childseats I have.

Actually I wonder why don't they continue to bring in the 2.2L for the facelift version. I think, tho the 2.2L don't sell as well as the 1.8L, it still manage to shift quite a lot...to justify including it in their range.

coz s'porean tried to justified their car by road tax.. 0.4L difference and they can say it's cheaper..

make it 2.2L and they say, "might as well get a wish or stream".. hack the isofix, ncaps or airbag.. money rules..

does that help AE justify why they only have 1.8L 5sp MTA and not 2.2L ecotec 4spd auto?

So i guess those family men with a tad of speed demon in their blood can forget about test driving this huh -

Zafira 2.0 turbo 240bhp by OPC

Opel-Zafira_OPC_2005_photo_01.jpg

Opel-Zafira_OPC_2005_photo_04.jpg

Edited by Nullifi3d

oh.. this one is different profile of drivers..

this one hor, they justify that while it's a beast but it's Ncaps blab blab, got plenty of plastic bags and you will feel safe.. [laugh]

but don't bang on AE to bring it in.. They brought in the Astra Turbo but flop as people flock to GTI which is 20K more expensive..

Now they have the corsa OPC, but then, it's too cute.. I don't think we will have a market for such cute but small expensive car..

conti maintenace very expensive to singaporean.. don't blame them.. They like to base on hear say and don't compare figures

A mini is a different story..

Edited by Sony

You have a point there.

I was thinking along the line that it doesn't cost them a lot to bring a few at a time. I would have gotten the 2.2L if it was available. I test drove it over a year ago and I like it for it's smoother gear change (wife prefer that tho I like MTA more), better specifications, etc... Performance is about the same as the 1.8L MTA.

The diff between the 1.8L and 2.2L is not much.

the spec are much better for 2.2 as well..

just too bad it's a 4sp auto..

so old fashion..now they are singing the same song for the Astra Sedan..

and remove vectra

and guess what, still got people buy wor

Hahaha...you are spot on again. [thumbsup]

Actually, i find a Zafira OPC/VXR a bit of a mid-life crisis. I (a family man) would rather forgo the performance for practicality if I'm on a budget or just buy a proper hot hatch (2nd car) if I really want the performance.

Of course, those who are loaded can get a S-line Audi Q7. [;)][;)] Somehow, I find a high performance SUV to be rather cool...even for a family man.

Edited by Silver_blade

not really.. just that the local market cannot support..

in UK, it have quite a strong following for the VXR/OPC range..

it's equivalent to our C1bic Bengz leh

Yup, the only let down the is old fashion 4sp auto.

There is a market for a Astra sedan...cos a lot of people still consider a hatch a lesser car compare to a sedan. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised the astra hatch was selling well.

For the sedan, what it lacks, it made up with a longer list of specifications. I think that is enough for most buyer to oversee it's 4sp auto and country of origin.

That was my personal opinion.

I do appreciate the car itself...just that I couldn't convince myself that I look alright in it.

The VXR group in the UK is indeed strong and I saw quite a few (in Hertfordshire)the last time i was on holiday in London in Apr.

compare the spec to a full spec Astra h and the sedan still lose out.

a lot didn't know that AE start removing stuff from the AH since Dec 05..

and it spread to other models as well.

My air con is digital control, yours is on the dial..

I got chromatic mirror, tyre deflation system, what does the current AH have?

then 16inch rim, fog light, etc.. just to name a few [:)]

Yup, AE has been bringing model with less equipments. [nod]

Don't know about the current Astra H. My zafira now only come with dial climate control instead of the digital one and it doesn't come with chromatic mirror, auto wiper, etc.

Zaf B still have tyre deflation system, Cruise control, fog light (certain 'model'), etc..

↡ Advertisement