Drive to Koh Samui (CNY 2009 week)

Dwoon

Hi All,

I wanna get out of Sgp during the 2009 CNY week by driving to Koh Samui for a week. Anyone interested? I've already booked my rooms from the 24th Jan to the 31st Jan.

Stopover at Penang for the night (23rd Jan & 1st Feb)

Its a family thing for me with my 4 years old kid going as well.

Do highlight interest. I can pass to you the websites that you can book your accomodation, eg. AWD or Asiarooms, etc.

Cheers.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Yup. It not new though.... just that we can now save alot of points & $$$ by using club points, instead of having to change to rewards points to claim (cat 5 classification). (also requires more points)

But 27th & 28th Jan not available. Somehow, the hotel has blocked it out. Can't even purchase it using cash from any other online tour operator. So have to resort to other hotels for that 2 nights.... which I'm considering to go to Hua Hin (also another club connections resort availabel there) whch is ~ 500 km away. (6 hours drive)

Kill 2 destinations since I'm already that far up.

BTW, did a check... didn't know that Renaissance rooms are ~ SGD320/night cheapest with taxes in... like that my 7 nights already worth more than $2K.

Edited by Dwoon

Say... you wanna do another trip to Phuket later on in 2009? (Dirve up again)

I've got to use up my points from 2008, else have to convert to reward points... which I already have heaps of and have not used any.

Yes. Not new. Just that they allow us more choices now. Guess this timeshare is really worth it. No need to be locked into a single home resort. Now got so many to choose.

Wife is thinking more of Bali.

Yes, Renaissance rooms are expensive. Using club points really worth it. Like what we paid only a fraction in club maintenance fees.

I have no idea. Wife doesn't like long trips. No point if I go along myself only. Kids will ask the ever annoying "are we there yet?". They even asked this on the plane. sweatdrop.gif

(edited)

I just got back from Bali last week. Didn't stay at the Renaissance there though... but through RCI exchange.

In my opinion, Phuket is still better and more developed (though abit sian already). Their biggest and best shopping centre can't even compare to Junceylon (can't remember how its spelt). Everywhere is temples.... seen one... see it all. All places require entrance fees. (Oh... bring your own sarongs if you want to visit temples, or buy in art market for ~ SGD3/- before going. Else have to rent it there). Also, not advisable to drive there as they don't follow rules at all... it costs SGD60/day for a driver+car. If you want to change rupiah.... do it there just at the entrance of "Matahari" shopping centre. The rates are better (like 1% below interbank rates). They have art markets in Ubud & Denpasar which are like Bangkok's Chatuchat but on a much smaller scale. I don't see how it can be so popular.... imported stuff on sales are even more expensive than in Sgp.

Edited by Dwoon

(edited)

Okay, let me put this trip details in abit more order.

- Depart Sgp on 23rd Jan (friday 5am) to reach Penang at around 2pm for hotel check-in.

- Leave Penang early (maybe 6am) on 24th Jan and head to Donsak Ferry terminal. If Bukit Kayu Hitam entry is jammed, then detour to Padang Besar which is another entry point but less popular since it is off the NSWHY.

- Reach Koh Samui about 5-6pm?

- free & easy on the island.

- I'm leaving on the 1st Feb morning for Penang. Stay a night there before coming back. This should be better to avoid the heavy traffic of people returning to work after the CNY break.

Return leg is just the reverse.

If there's any interest in Hua Hin, do highlight. Then Koh Samui can be used as a stop-over point but with more days spent there.

If not going for so many days.... feel free to join for part of the trip. Also, you arrange your own accomodation based on your own budget, but can always meetup for outings over there.

Cheers.

Edited by Dwoon

Hehe.... want to see temples, Bangkok is better.

Bali is more for the angmoh style relax and vegetate location after a night of being trashed. I think Phuket is more like this too but way more advanced.

Koh Samui will reach the level of Phuket if it continues like this unabated.

Propose lah... no harm trying... sell her the cost savings in doing a drive trip ...... maybe that'll work better. (some more economy is tough now....) [:p]

That's how to really utilise the timeshare which you paid dearly for. If everytime fly... (somemore you got 2 kids right?)..... will go broke man. I only have 1 kid and its already taxing to fly so many times a year. 2009 will be a drive year for me.... this year already flew Phuket, Bali and upcoming Langkawi... cannot tahan..... then when you fly, still must rent car..... [rolleyes] costs go up.

Wanna go Bali... can start changing your rupiah now... its about 7200 interbank rates... which mean you can get it about 7000 to the dollar. It has depreciated some 10% from a week ago.

Yes. Not new. Just that they allow us more choices now. Guess this timeshare is really worth it. No need to be locked into a single home resort. Now got so many to choose.

Wife is thinking more of Bali.

Yes, Renaissance rooms are expensive. Using club points really worth it. Like what we paid only a fraction in club maintenance fees.

Anyone interested?

Date of Departure : 23/01/2009 to Penang (Stop-over night)

24/01/2009 - Leave Penang for Samui via Donsak Ferry terminal

24/01/2009 to 31/01/2009 - Free & Easy on Samui.

1/02/2009 - Leave Samui for Penang (Stop-over night)

2/02/2009 - Leave Penang for Sgp

Total distance covered is ~ 1300km each way. (~2600km total)

Cost of driving to & fro considering tolls, fuel & toluene, Thai insurance, ferry tickets, etc.... works out to ~ $750 (excluding accomodation, food & personal expenses) calculated using 8km/l FC. Could be cheaper if your car drinks less and can run on 95RON, then no need to buy toluene as octane booster. Then cost is ~ $650 w/o toluene.

Already liased with supplier for toluene supply in 4 ltr containers for easy 1 time application. (20 ltrs required per car)

Already have the ESRI routable GPS map of Thailand to avoid getting lost.

Anyone wants to go?

Update more info.

Those insured with AXA, it covers peninsula Thailand. (but not islands that need to take ferry across). Therefore Samui island itself is not covered and they do not want to cover even with additional premuim paid.

I feel stopover in Hatyai is better than stopping in Penang. At least 1 shot u have cleared immigration at Bukit Kayu Hitam and Sadao. So the most siong drive is nearly 1000km from SG to Hatyai, another 70km to Hatyai. Sadao check point not 24 hours 1..cant remember wat time they close..usu we overnite ride across msia, reach Sadao in morning.

Next morning wake up can zoom straight to Donsak Ferry Terminal...which is another 300+km i tink..can reach in afternoon.

Check ferry timing, Oso b4 u board the ferry to koh samui, remember to top up full tank..petrol is more expensive than in mainland.

Edited by Tarzan666

Thanks for the feedback. I too would like to stop over night in Hatyai.... but due to circumstances (single driver & rather tiring, accomodation, safety, etc.)..... decided to stick to Penang. (but leave real early like 5am the next day)

Penang is still quite alright... did that many times already.... just that to Hatyai... its another couple of hours depending on the queue at both Malaysia & Thai immigrations.

↡ Advertisement