BMW 520I - Damn Cheap !!!

Gs300999s

Heard frm many taht the 520 boh lutt (underpowered)... maybe shld test drive 1st.

I was one of those who thought the 520i would be underpowered but I was very pleasantly surprised when I test drove it. Of course it's not super fast but it's very acceptable considering the specs, and the 6-speed auto is a LOT better than the Merc E200's 5-speeder. Makes the car feel responsive and crisp, unlike the Merc which has 184bhp but is jerky and unrefined.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I think the second hand 523 are only going for $8.5k per annum dep at your online website. How much is a new $145K 520's dep?

• Praise 1

sounds more likely [:)]

but i didn't want to discount the possibility given my limited knowledge of BMW or conti in general. so better clarify first [;)]

Neutral Newbie

the 520i 2L engine not enough power one.. tried before, not shiok to drive.

i'm currently driving the e46 318i already hiam no power already, now they put the engine into the 5 series...

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

I agree man, my dad drives the E60 520i with the old 2.2 litre IL-6, and he complains that even that is underpowered. I think the 2.5 litre and up engines are best suited for this car.

But then again, we can't really blame PML for bringing in a 2.0 520i given how C&C was pricing the E200s. After the 2.2 520 was phased out, the entry level was the 523i and it was priced significantly above the price of the E200s. Some people will just do a base model to base model comparison and conclude that BMW 5 series is not worth it. So oh well, discerning drivers will just have to choose for themselves which they want :)

• Praise 1

I think the second hand 523 are only going for $8.5k per annum dep at your online website. How much is a new $145K 520's dep?

I dont think so.

$8.5k is too low, something fishy

Heard frm many taht the 520 boh lutt (underpowered)... maybe shld test drive 1st.

I was one of those who thought the 520i would be underpowered but I was very pleasantly surprised when I test drove it. Of course it's not super fast but it's very acceptable considering the specs, and the 6-speed auto is a LOT better than the Merc E200's 5-speeder. Makes the car feel responsive and crisp, unlike the Merc which has 184bhp but is jerky and unrefined.

test driving alone is not "chun" becos there is a lot of psychological influences.

the fact that it is a 6 speeder already will give you the feel of power.

for good built and value for money , nothing beats the volvo S80 2.5T to me.

you think S80 2.5 is fun ?? wait til you lay yr hands on the T6

thats evail man !!

but frankly, the current S80 dont appeal to me.

Too long and not wide enough.

no commanding presence

• Praise 1

Dude, this isnt a discussion of which is the more wicked car becos then, the T6 is also no big deal.

I'm comparing the price/category with the 520i which is the topic lah...

I would rather get a secondhand 523i upwards anytime.

doesnt mean the 520i 4cyc is lousy

anyway the current 320i and 520i are basically targetting mostly inexperienced buyers who probably care more for other things such as brand, build, etc.

I've the same thought too. Those who gotten the 0 series as new are likely to be more brand conscious than performance/technology. It probably seems cheap to them at $148K, so long it is a BMW.

Regards,

Edited by Kelpie

no need to...I'm telling you that its underpowered cos i drive many of these diff beemers @ work [laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1