Brake Pads..

Robo

last week when i went for my 50k servicing, mechanic advise that my brake pads almost gone liao. by next servicing have to change already...

I'm wondering which pads are good for aveo5.. i hoping to find those low brake dust ones. i know song yi is selling original ones at $50 bucks and one aftermarket ones that i tink cost the same.they look exactly the same too.. question is should i just back originals or please recommend 1 set of good pads that aint so dusty...

also.. i have read in webbies that when change pads u have to skim e rotors and change fluid... i'm wondering whether i have to do it anot...

please advise...

↡ Advertisement

I think it is better to stick to original pads for $50 unless you find it really too dusty. However, if you choose those total without dust Pads, they are usually less grippy. I think safety should come 1st before beauty.

As you know, most daily accidents occurs during mid range speed like 40km/h along heavy traffic expressway, start and stop, then driver's concentration is lacking. Suddenly the front car just stop dead. You jam your brake but just short 20cm of braking distance and hit the front car.

The trouble for that little accident is hell of a lot, small repairs can cost a thousand dollars, not to mention the time to go IDAC and without car for 2 or 3 days.

Question for u: you want beauty (less brake dust and less bite) or safety (more grippy bite and more dust)?

Even if you use original brake pads, there will come a time you need to skim your rotors as well.

If your original brake pads are not bed in properly, it may warp the rotors too.

hmm... i tot aftermarket pads have better grip. but some u gotta heat em up first.. $50 bucks for original seems quite ok.. but the dust kinda irritating..

when i bought mine (original musso pickup front brake pad - 4 pieces)

for $30

i was thinking: wah not bad leh, price is good [thumbsup]

brake dust bothers me not

if fact i [inlove] brake dust

because then you will know your brake pad is good one

My personal experience is that brake fluid change once a year.

Cos in Singapore a lot of start stop situations and traffic conditions will cause the brake fluid to absorb air/moisture and this may result in poorer braking over time if the fluid is not changed.

Original Pads are general good enough, otherwise the manufacturers wont select them. This is contrary to many who believe original stuff that comes with the car is lousy cheap stuff.

Coming back to Brake Pads, those with dust are higher temperature and higher friction compared with those without dust. It has something to do with the material used.

Few cheap ones..... normal ferodo, TRW, Bendix, etc.

When I changed from stock to ferodo. Bite improved but a little squeaky at times when the pads have not warmed up. You see less brake dust but more silver dust from your rotors [:p] . Then TRW I used not too bad. More dust but lesser than stock... but grip is better.

Now just changed Bendix Ultimate this morning.... haven't even bed them in yet (or is there any need to???).... very quiet pads

Fluid can use the normal cheap Mintex ones. Then again, motul don't really cost that much more... so no need to save in this area lah.... about $13 diff for a litre to flush.

↡ Advertisement