Instant Water Heater

Nlatio

just checking ---- can the outlet (hot water) from the instant water heater fix to the pipe that leads to the mixer tap? Will there be any water pressure issue? e.g. the water pressure from the instant heater will be too low, and will not flow to the mixer tap....that kind of issue?

unless u dont close the mixer tap,water will explode in the heater and circuit break.

no resistance to any instant heater outlet hor.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

unless u dont close the mixer tap,water will explode in the heater and circuit break.

no resistance to any instant heater outlet hor.

oh. I see. Instant water heater outlet has no valve?

Thks.

Edited by Garfieldpal

i plan to install another instant heater on my other toilet ...can i do that ?  i heard that HDB dun allow as there is a dedicated point for instant heater only ? 

anyone did that ?

i plan to install another instant heater on my other toilet ...can i do that ?  i heard that HDB dun allow as there is a dedicated point for instant heater only ? 

anyone did that ?

Should not have problem installing instant heater on both toilets in hdb flat.

anyone did that ?

You may contact HDB.

I didn't see anything mentioned about 2 water heaters here:

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/residential/living-in-an-hdb-flat/renovation/electrical-works

However, for your own safety, the water heater is a high load device and should not share with another high load device on the same circuit breaker. High load device are aircon and heaters.

They need to use separate breakers, preferably with separate new wires.

When you combine load on the same wire, which is probably older, insulation may have hardened due to heating over the years and insulation breakdown, leading to dangerous situation.

Wires that don't carry heavy load is ok, but those that carry heavy load over the years, you have to watchout or replaced.

• Praise 2

Get a storage heater, one tank to serve two bathrooms. It is just slightly more expensive than 1 instant heater. If you install 2 instant water heaters, the total costs doubled. Potentially also safer if you practice switching on 5 minutes before use and turn it off when showering.

• Praise 1

Depends on the type of "rain shower" you have in mind.

Those small palm sized ones that runs up the wall and arc overhead should be sufficient with electrical instant heater.

Those large ones especially those that are installed in false ceiling anf running off an inbuilt wall mixer can only use a storage heater as you will need a large volume of heated water (thus pressure) to ensure proper "rain effect"

Any bro fit rain shower to water heater or must use storage heater? TIA!

• Praise 1

If install rain shower, must make sure the water pressure in your flat is power, if not your rain shower effect would become drizzling effect. Lol.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

If install rain shower, must make sure the water pressure in your flat is power, if not your rain shower effect would become drizzling effect. Lol.

i live on the top floor ....12th ....water pressure sucks... assuming that during peak period for the block .... so i got a instant water heater with pump ... cost double of non-pump models .... but gives me a proper shower. but the water from my rain shower is still not powerful enough though.

Mine should be fine then, the water pressure quite power cos living on 2nd floor. I wanted to install but salesman said cannot and wanted me to change to storage heater. I thot he was a bit pushy and did not buy in the end.[furious]

The salesman might not be wrong though...

Think of the storage heater acting like a reservoir of heated water ready to supply the required volume of water required by the rain shower. So you take out the water pressure component to have it keep up with the rain shower.

How the instant water heater works is by running water though a series of heat exchangers in real time thus getting heated water when it exits. There is a limit in how fast or the amount of water pressure each instant heater is designed for. Let's work it backwards......... For eg. your rain shower required X PSI of water pressure to work, in order to achieve that X PSI, the water from your instant heater have to produce X PSI on the exit port. But the heat exchangers convoluted water passage within your instant water heater will lower your water pressure. So the cold water entering your instant water heater will need to be at least X+Y PSI. Questions will be: Can your instant water heater specifications handle X+Y PSI? (think of over pressure seal burst etc) Is your unit  water pressure equal or larger than X+Y PSI consistently?

In a way, if you decided to try installing the rain shower without the storage water heater, you are running the risk that the rain shower effect might not be optimal and becomes highly dependent on the current water pressure at your unit.

I stay on 4th and top floor of an apartment block, water pressure sucks  as it is highly dependent on the water pump pushing the water supply up from ground floor. There is no water storage tank in our development.

So installing 1 water storage heater for each bathroom solves the problem. My master bath, which has the grohe rain shower/mixer, we put in an even bigger capacity storage heater tank in case the heated water runs out during a long hot shower. Lucky thing is that all my water storage heaters can be hidden inside my false ceiling.

Mine should be fine then, the water pressure quite power cos living on 2nd floor. I wanted to install but salesman said cannot and wanted me to change to storage heater. I thot he was a bit pushy and did not buy in the end.[furious]

• Praise 4

the salesman is correct. Instant heater cannot support rain shower. It will be a case of insufficient heating even if you have the volume flow.

• Praise 3

OH? [smallcry]

The guys are right. Rainshower only can use storage heater cos the flow volume of an instant heater is too little (cos of the narrow tubes required for the heating element to work fast enough to heat up the water instantly).

My FIL's max flow via his instant heater is probably at best 50% of what my rainshower can do? And I'm being generous.

i live at 6th floor. Think the water pressure is decent. But still can't fight with the ones in some hotels haha  [laugh]

My house tank is about 23-25L.

It's a compromise between shower length and time it takes to heat up the water. A 23-25L tank can be heated up in 19mins to 60 degrees. The larger u have, the longer it takes to heat up. Those bigger tanks take almost 30mins.

But one good shower may almost drain the whole tank if not being constantly heated. Lucky I prefer warm only. no need hot hot.

The salesman might not be wrong though...

Think of the storage heater acting like a reservoir of heated water ready to supply the required volume of water required by the rain shower. So you take out the water pressure component to have it keep up with the rain shower.

How the instant water heater works is by running water though a series of heat exchangers in real time thus getting heated water when it exits. There is a limit in how fast or the amount of water pressure each instant heater is designed for. Let's work it backwards......... For eg. your rain shower required X PSI of water pressure to work, in order to achieve that X PSI, the water from your instant heater have to produce X PSI on the exit port. But the heat exchangers convoluted water passage within your instant water heater will lower your water pressure. So the cold water entering your instant water heater will need to be at least X+Y PSI. Questions will be: Can your instant water heater specifications handle X+Y PSI? (think of over pressure seal burst etc) Is your unit  water pressure equal or larger than X+Y PSI consistently?

In a way, if you decided to try installing the rain shower without the storage water heater, you are running the risk that the rain shower effect might not be optimal and becomes highly dependent on the current water pressure at your unit.

I stay on 4th and top floor of an apartment block, water pressure sucks  as it is highly dependent on the water pump pushing the water supply up from ground floor. There is no water storage tank in our development.

So installing 1 water storage heater for each bathroom solves the problem. My master bath, which has the grohe rain shower/mixer, we put in an even bigger capacity storage heater tank in case the heated water runs out during a long hot shower. Lucky thing is that all my water storage heaters can be hidden inside my false ceiling.

Twincharged

My 2 cents here. Slight off topic. Forget about gas heaters. Unless your shower is right next to the gas heater. Gas heaters must be sited in an airy place. And if your shower is some distance away, you need to waste time to run the water.

For me it's more efficient to use electric heaters and site them close to the shower head.

Also regardless of the storage tank capacity, what I notice is that all the elements are the same. At least for joven. All are 3kw heaters.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Agree with Bro Mkl22... gas  heater also cannot hold the warm water for long... after awhile, the water turn cold... wtf.... but my 2 toilets already fixed up with gas shower... not to sure if it is a big hassle to change back to electric heater??

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1