Aveo...going...going...gone?

Brock

Despite winning Car of the Year 2008 for the Subcompact Category in Wheels Singapore, I hardly see it around. There was a period of time whereby the new F/L Aveo was pretty much around on the roads and in car parks. Now, I hardly see it anywhere. Even for the other Chevy models as well. Prices for the Aveo have dropped like $10k and yet it doesn't seem to be selling well, judging by the number of new plates on the roads. I see more new Vios.

Anyway with similar observations?

↡ Advertisement

Well, apart from the obvious, what else is contributing to the, IMO, dismal sales? My personal take is that it's overpriced, low resale value, poor FC and question on longevity in terms of wear and tear. But now that it has dropped like $10+k, it may have some effect.

If you go through the Fuel Consumption chart in Mycarforum, you will note that the Chevrolet cars consumption is rather high. This is especially when one compares the Chevrolet Aveo with Toyota Vios.

However, in terms of driveability and sturdiness, the Chevrolet Aveo provides a more Continental feel. This is my personal view after test driven both cars as I was buying a car for my children.

In sg what ppl look at is the overall package of the car and price. Aveo's package is just not as attractive as its competitors.

Look at our zhng culture(although KNS but still quite a lot of them on the roads). Aveo got little potential to zhng as compared to Vtek and WWt-i rivals.

chevys in SG are really just rebadged daewoos. not sure if their price reflects that. if it doesn't, than little wonder why they dun sell well.

[lipsrsealed]

i don tink chevys now can b called rebadged daewoo.it has long moved away from daewoo.so...its jus de mindset of ppl n also de hearsay from "experts".if ppl bother enuf to find out more abt a certain brand...den i tink dis "expert" advice will no longer bear any truth.

abt wear n tear comment earlier, for me de chevys will last as long or even longer den some other more popular brand.i've been driving 1 for more den 3 yrs, n no breakdowns, wear n tear or anything so far.(thank god)...

so...my conclusion is its jus de perception of de not well informed buyers...

I do agree that it has moved away from the Daewoo branding and it is able to stand on its own now. Just found it strange that a year ago, one tends to see more 'Daewoo' rebadged into Chevy models than the current purely Chevy models. The Aveo and Optra models were pretty much visible a year back or so. Now, I hardly see any on the roads.

I'm just wondering what is the cause of the decline of popularity. I'm sure GM or the AD would like to know too. Could the entry of the Avante been the cause of the shift? Poor AD aftersales? Bad mouthing from past or existing owners? Limited stockist?

Interesting viewpoint. IIRC, I spent about $6k-8k on 'so-called' mods on my Aveo. I've learnt that my future car, I'll keep it stock. But I may change my mind again! laugh.gif

so do u think it's more "american" or more "korean"? [sly]

i've compared two stock chevy's to other cars i've driven. sad to say, i find the chevy engine very gruff compared to the other koreans and jap makes. only the lone proton i tested was worse [lipsrsealed].

when i say "gruff", i don't mean "sporty". to me, mazdas and subarus sound sporty. rough is another thing.

both chevys were relatively new. under 50k (the first i tested was under 20k).

other pple also drive their "other more popular brand" for "more den 3 years" with no problems. lemons can be found across all brands.

not saying that chevy is bad. but if they are charging a premium above the other korean make, i'd find it overpriced. personally, for the same price, i'll go for kia, hyundai, follow by chevy. among the koreans.

btw, even if chevy cannot be called rebadge daewoo, look at the components. all made in korea still. not a bad thing, but that's just reality. btw, i also drive a korean make.

[;)]

hmm. i just checked out prices of chevy, kia and hyundai on Sgcarmart.

price wise, kia, chevy, hyundai, lowest to highest.

thus, chevy presents decent value after all [thumbsup]. i had this impression it was marketed as "american/conti" and thus more "upmarket" than the avg korean rides.

but to TS, honestly, i see fewer new kias, and very few new hyundais on the road also. could be that jap car prices are more attractive these days, thus pple prefer to go for jap rather than korean.

common new cars these days are the civic FD, altis, latio. i even see the venerable sunny in SJ_. very few SJ_ getz or sonata. avante have some.

kia picanto also have quite a number [nod]

btw, i'm driving getz 1.1. very budget box. [;)] doesn't matter what pple say about ur ride, or if few other pple buying ur ride model. as long as ur own car serves u well and u are happy, that's great [flowerface]

it boils down to pricing as well as the overall package

for the aveo price i can get cerato variant 2

bigger car, 1.6 vs 1.4, more interior + booth space, better road presence and most prob better fc too.

no prizes for guessing why the aveo is trailing behind.

i dont see wad u're talking about... mine only says eco-tech II..

after driving one for nearly 5 mths. i find the car

1) very stable at high speeds 170km/h no vibration. and best is my gf dont feel that its in excess of 170km/h

2) Fc is still considered ok. im getting around 12-13km/L

3) the power is there low end is sufficient i can switch gear at 1.8-2.5k with no hinderance. mid-high end is terrific! frankly i'll take on any 1.6 salons at the traffic lights.

4) potential to zhng is very good. there is so much u can do.. go visit chevy's form and u will know. from cam pully to flywheel to manifolds to CAI etc etc...

5) yes resale value is no good. but i like! i bought this 3 yr old aveo5 with 38k on its trip meter at $25k ONLY! thou yes i will not recoup it back when i sell. but den calculating in terms of depreciation it super cheap. 2yrs plus i break even. why not!?

6) korean or not as far as im know.. the engine is made by GM in US.

7) spare parts are cheap if u know where to find them.

8) continental feel is there surely.