Where to buy economical basic 26" mountain bicycle

Vtim

As per subject, where got the best deal for 26" mountain bicycle?

me looking for around $100 or less, basic model, will have to add a small rear seat + front basket so that I could ferry my eldest son (P3) next year in the morning to his school.

↡ Advertisement

You can try 54 Sims Drive. The shop's name is in Chinese I think. I go there to service my bike. I find the price quite ok since it's in a residential area and parking is easy. They sell many bikes and all sorts of accessories(they dun display them though). Whatever you wanna add on just request and pay money.

There are two bike shops side by side. Go to the bigger shop run by an old couple.

thanks, maybe tomorrow I'll go and take a look, since got two bikes shops side by side, prices should be very "competitive" from both of them sly.gifsly.gifsly.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Good father [thumbsup]

I was thinking of doing the same. But are you going to get a helmet for your kid? I bought a helmet for my daughter to learn roller blades, but end up unused! [:/]

By right I think it's proper to have a helmet for the kid, but I think no one actually do this.

Edited by Kianbeng

There's a bike shop at Hougang. It's quite near the mosque....sorry I know how to go there but don't know which blk, road. This hougang area is the place famous for the fish shops like "Rainbow"....the bike shop is at the row facing the mosque.

This shop is operated by a old uncle. He charges very cheap. So far I haven't found any shops cheaper than his. His shop is like a mess. But everything I want to buy, he has it.

Time for me to visit him again. My rims is crooked after an accident where my bike fell off from my car rack - car also scratched! [bigcry]

Those Aleoca brand bicycle selling at Carrefour? Sometimes can see them selling less than $100. I wanna get 1 too for work purposes.

Neutral Newbie

I really do not recommend those <$100 new bike cos after a while, all the gears will not shift properly. Up your budget a little and look for 2nd hand bikes at togoparts.com

For ease of maintenance, I suggest you get one with alu frame.

if you are lucky, might find a decent 2nd hand alu bike with decent shifters/parts for under $180. Look for something like a HASA T9 or equivalent. With a decent bike, ferrying your kids to school will be very enjoyable.

Helmet is highly recommended, and to convince your kid to where, you should prob be wearing one too. I make my kids wear them when they are 4.

I agree with you on the quality part but sometimes basic bike can do the job just as good. Anyway I see a lot of parents cycle to send/fetch their children to school in basic bikes(I think they stick to one gear all the way [laugh]). And I think they choose bikes they are comfortable in, those maybe the type they had cycle since young.

They stay HDB and you know lah they are not like you and me got space to keep their bikes indoors to prevent theft. Buy until so good and end up stolen, sian all the way.

Neutral Newbie

Quite true, even half-decent bikes need to be kept indoor else it'll be gone in 60 sec.

But another thing I notice at the void deck is that most of the bikes there have been left untouch for ages [sly] ..... guess if you don't see the bike everyday, you might just forget it even exist [:p]

Edited by Fondue

Good father thumbsup.gif

I was thinking of doing the same. But are you going to get a helmet for your kid? I bought a helmet for my daughter to learn roller blades, but end up unused! unsure.gif

By right I think it's proper to have a helmet for the kid, but I think no one actually do this.

oh, helmet is a must for him, that isn't much of a problem getting as most bicycle shop will sell them, however, I prefer those that are for inline skates (I believe "Roller Blades" is a brand name sly.gifsly.gifsly.gif). These are much better as they cover much of the back of his head nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif as compare for those for bicycle shakehead.gifshakehead.gifPosted Image and places like Carrefour/Gaint or inline skates shop will sell them Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

There's a bike shop at Hougang. It's quite near the mosque....sorry I know how to go there but don't know which blk, road. This hougang area is the place famous for the fish shops like "Rainbow"....the bike shop is at the row facing the mosque.

This shop is operated by a old uncle. He charges very cheap. So far I haven't found any shops cheaper than his. His shop is like a mess. But everything I want to buy, he has it.

Time for me to visit him again. My rims is crooked after an accident where my bike fell off from my car rack - car also scratched! bigcry.gif

Ok, "Rainbow" should be in Serangoon North, not Hougang lah laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif I will go tomorrow after sending my 3 kids to the NTUC Child Care which is also located in Serangoon North, thanks thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Those Aleoca brand bicycle selling at Carrefour? Sometimes can see them selling less than $100. I wanna get 1 too for work purposes.

I went to check yesterday, the cheapest is $76.90 + 19.90 for rear rack + 20.90 rear seat (to be secured on the rear rack) + $23.90 for a inline skate helmet (for my son) so total = $141.60 .

Still want to shop around first to see if I can get better deal or not laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Good father [thumbsup]

I was thinking of doing the same. But are you going to get a helmet for your kid? I bought a helmet for my daughter to learn roller blades, but end up unused! [:/]

but its still necessary to buy the helmet

its to send a signal to the kids that u regard safety as priority regardless of cost

sorri to OT

wat about foldable bicycle?

i'm referring to those cheap and china made ones.

not those dahon kinds

i'm just using it occasionally with my wife in east coast

I really do not recommend those <$100 new bike cos after a while, all the gears will not shift properly. Up your budget a little and look for 2nd hand bikes at togoparts.com

For ease of maintenance, I suggest you get one with alu frame.

if you are lucky, might find a decent 2nd hand alu bike with decent shifters/parts for under $180. Look for something like a HASA T9 or equivalent. With a decent bike, ferrying your kids to school will be very enjoyable.

Helmet is highly recommended, and to convince your kid to where, you should prob be wearing one too. I make my kids wear them when they are 4.

I thought those gears are quite ok sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif

maybe I'll take a look at togoparts.com also and see if I can get a good deal, thanks thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I got one of those cheapo China made type but I find it's not easy to steer even on my own, so I prefer those 26" mountain bicycle nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif

Oh, you want to get everything for less than $100? [sweatdrop] I thot you meant the bicycle itself only.

I think you should also wear a helmet to set an example for your kid otherwise he might think that why should he wear a helmet when my dad is not wearing one. Just a suggestion.

↡ Advertisement