Where to buy economical basic 26" mountain bicycle

Vtim

$200 considered good price loh. Back dan when I was hunting for my budget bike which has to have an aluminium frame, rock shox suspension and shimano gear cost me nearly $600. And that is without accessories.

I forgot one thing, don't full suspension can put rear rack + a seat for my son sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif looks like have to settle for hard tail MTB liao sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif

↡ Advertisement

yes, please give the low-end version a miss.

Aleoca's entry level bikes are over-price for the quality. Give it a miss too.

A hardtail will prob suit you better, aka with front sus only. Forget about full sus. Its difficult to mount a rear rack for full sus, and for the entry-level full sus, you kid will be bounce2.gif .. bounce2.gif .. bounce2.gif .. as you cycle.

There are still good deals in the marketplace. No harm going for older bikes with Shimano STX components. I got a decent 15yr old bike with STX parts for way under $100, and after cleaning and tuning, its as smooth and fast as my friend's $500 bike tongue.gif

wah, 15yr old bike sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif

As per subject, where got the best deal for 26" mountain bicycle?

me looking for around $100 or less, basic model, will have to add a small rear seat + front basket so that I could ferry my eldest son (P3) next year in the morning to his school.

Sista, safety first. Spend a bit more and get a more sturdy bike, after all you are fetching your son to school . . . don't compromise on safety please. nod.gif

er........ me no Sista lah, me bald headed bro laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

true, I will look for more sturdy build MTB instead of the low end entry version nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif

It'll be a good morning work out for me since I can no longer go for a jog as the cartilage has worn off on both knees sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif

Having basket in front not a good idea. Ur stuff thens to roll around in it. shakehead.gif When it rains or floor wet, u r not doing to be Drift King but Buang King. Tried changing to street tyres they got better grip than the MTB style.

was thinking of putting his school bag onto the front basket lah sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif

So, they have those thick street tyres that can fit onto the MTB confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif me a bit "mountain turtle" on bicycle lah laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

As per subject, where got the best deal for 26" mountain bicycle?

me looking for around $100 or less, basic model, will have to add a small rear seat + front basket so that I could ferry my eldest son (P3) next year in the morning to his school.

Bro,

Goto http://www.togoparts.com, there are plenty of good offer there. Times are bad, good to buy 2nd hand thumbsup.gif

yap, another bro have recommended that website, now slowly going thru the marketplace to hunt for a better build bike nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif

thanks again thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

dont mention, I'm hunting for a cheap bike too. Planning to buy one to commute between my house and MRT daily so that I dont have to walk or take feeder bus. Save time waiting for stupid feeder bus and also can exercise a little everyday. Cycling is still better than public transport, no fare hike, more reliable (as I can cycle fast or slow on my own mood) and more healthy, burns some calories [laugh]

Now adays Kid's bag very heavy how you steer? Trust me not very good idea, if just some item maybe still Ok. Carry big bulky put it behind(Sorry not referring to your son ah don't get me wrong). Ever see motor bike with basket in front?

Very sure got street tyre for the MTB got thin and thick one. Up to you. But $100 maybe not be within buget liao.

ok, will not put his school bag on the basket sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif

after reading most reply, I'll will not go for those entry level type, don't think it will last laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

still huning around in togoparts.com for a used but better quality, hopefully can get one around $200 sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif

Those thick street tyres are not too ex I hope sweatdrop.gifPosted ImagePosted Image

$200 then u should try Ah Heng (MSCP at Upper Boon Keng MRT near ATM). You can trade in the original tyre for slick(street tyre) if he got them. Else I think 20~30 for a pair.

Or go HUP Leong look for Ah Bird(Gilbert) I think it is blk54 people part behind subordinate court.

Should I go for this at around $100 ?

Owner mention it's 2 to 3mths old full suspension Aleoca bike Posted Image

or maybe this one also at $100 p1010216wz1.jpg

Edited by Vtim
↡ Advertisement