Where to buy economical basic 26" mountain bicycle

Vtim

Neutral Newbie
I had a very basic 26" mountain bike.. Aleoca brand..

Pro - Cheap

Con - Lousy quality, seat give back pain, cheap parts that will break any instant, no suspension means painful @ss for days for your son..

I have ditch it for a better hardtail.. I can stand the painful @ss but not backpain..

Conclusion: Dun buy those basic mountain bike at carrerfour or Giant Supermarket.. Unless your son had been trained with hard @ss and strong back since young.. No joke..

I agreed with you...

I got one too..but it's from a relative..who has stop using it...end up spending another 70-80 to fix up...those aleoca tyres are very very lousy...it will lose it roundness very very fast..and you will feel up up and down even on a flat road...the seat is a basic seat...

For me it's just plain simple pt 1 to 2...and I simply lock it outside my unit...

The other day just had my bike side stand stolen in the middle of th night...bl*8dy hell..took the stand plus the nut too... [furious]

↡ Advertisement

Both are full suspension mountain bike.. and not exactly what you would call good or reliable brand..

Also for a full suspension selling at $100.. sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif

There is another bro who know more about bicycle.. vincentacy.. maybe you can try PM him..

They took the stand without the bike??

Seem like Aleoca bike not even worth stealing.. bigcry.gif

Yeah Aleoca tires are the worst around.. Cycle less than 2km to buy breakfast.. Tyre pressure dropped from 40 to 18 PSI liao.. if longer distance, may have to push back the bike..

I had a very basic 26" mountain bike.. Aleoca brand..

Pro - Cheap

Con - Lousy quality, seat give back pain, cheap parts that will break any instant, no suspension means painful @ss for days for your son..

I have ditch it for a better hardtail.. I can stand the painful @ss but not backpain..

Conclusion: Dun buy those basic mountain bike at carrerfour or Giant Supermarket.. Unless your son had been trained with hard @ss and strong back since young.. No joke..

I agreed with you...

I got one too..but it's from a relative..who has stop using it...end up spending another 70-80 to fix up...those aleoca tyres are very very lousy...it will lose it roundness very very fast..and you will feel up up and down even on a flat road...the seat is a basic seat...

For me it's just plain simple pt 1 to 2...and I simply lock it outside my unit...

The other day just had my bike side stand stolen in the middle of th night...bl*8dy hell..took the stand plus the nut too... [furious]

One of my friend got it from a hypermart here and cycled to ECP. On way, think the pedals gave way. [dizzy]

Last week I purchased 2 26" mountain bikes from this shop in Changi Village. The young guy with golden dyed hair was really very good. As i know nuts about bikes, i asked alot of very basic questions. But he was very patient and very service oriented. I also bought the car mounting rack for my bikes. He even helped me to setup the rack and mounted my bikes. If you are free, can drop by and look see look see. [;)]

Edited by Singaporean1965

oh dear. I thought tyres are all the same. My original one has canvas side walls. But it breaks so quickly (maybe due to not frequent use). So my plan is to change it to the normal all rubber tyres.

Went to a shop, he changed for me the rubber tyres + tube. $25. Not sure if thats cheap or not but basically he told me the rubber tyre he sold me is damn good + value for money type. Ok.

But when I was in msia last week, I checked out 1 bicycle shop and found out that the large mountain bike tyres (is it 26"?) cost only RM24 (RM18 for tyre, RM6 for tube). So me quite keen to go for it. Maybe this weekend I'll bring my front tyre there and get it replaced.

But looking at your post...I begin to worry leh. Could these cheap tyres really cause problems? Furthermore it's going to be my front tyre. Normally for a car, the front tyre is important.....

Turbocharged

Actually, I'd recommend that you get a flying pigeon (traditional china commute) rather than a mountain bike. There's a online shop selling at $125 to $145 depending on wheelsize http://www.dekibike.com/ but you can probably find other models ard bike shops too. (got mention that elias mall bike shop sell also)

Much simpler with single speed, don't need to worry about shifting, and in general less components to worry about. Being used for ferrying your kids to school, I don't think you are really looking for speed.

Anyway, if you are hougang area, check out Tiong Hin also at end of lorong ah soo, near hougang (Block 108, Hougang Ave 1, #01-1293, Singapore 530108). They open till ard midnight, try to go in the evening instead.

personally, don't go for these 2 bikes. wink.gif

What's your budget btw? From there, it will be easier to recommend u. smile.gif

hopefully not more than $200 sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif

Last week I purchased 2 26" mountain bikes from this shop in Changi Village. The young guy with golden dyed hair was really very good. As i know nuts about bikes, i asked alot of very basic questions. But he was very patient and very service oriented. I also bought the car mounting rack for my bikes. He even helped me to setup the rack and mounted my bikes. If you are free, can drop by and look see look see. wink.gif

ok, may drop by next week thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

so you are born in the same year when Singapore gain independent har sly.gifsly.gifsly.gif

ok, I always thought that the MTB will be much more sturdy and will last longer as compare to normal China commute bike given the fact that is build to be abused in off trail environment laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Will look into the online one but still prefer to go into a shop, as least still can have a feel of the bike and to make sure it's not too high for me, me only 167cm and have short legs sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif will drop by Tiong Hin after I'm back from Sunway Lagoon on Sun , going tomorrow morning thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

↡ Advertisement