Where to buy economical basic 26" mountain bicycle

Vtim

I went over to the old man's bike shop at Blk 151A, Serangoon North Ave 2 and he quoted me $220 for a Lady's 26" City bike, it's Aluminium frame with very basic 6 or 7 speed Shimano gear + front basket + rear padded seat for my son. Looks like a very good deal, may settle for this [;)]

↡ Advertisement

I went over to the old man's bike shop at Blk 151A, Serangoon North Ave 2 and he quoted me $220 for a Lady's 26" City bike, it's Aluminium frame with very basic 6 or 7 speed Shimano gear + front basket + rear padded seat for my son. Looks like a very good deal, may settle for this [;)]

Is that the shop next to the fish shop? Rainbow or something?

Simi brand/model??

Speed not really important for your case..

Is that the shop next to the fish shop? Rainbow or something?

no, not next to "Rainbow" fish shop. It is directly opposite Blk141, which is just across the road and on the same road that will lead to the Mosque.

Simi brand/model??

Speed not really important for your case..

I didn't really look at the brand but the frame is Aluminium, actually, it's better to have at least some gear to change the speed, especially when going up slight slope

I had a aluminium frame bought from the previous shop owner at Blk 141 at very good pricing. The frame is very light (compared to metal) but its very soft and easily get dents/paint scrapped off. I guess with lighter alum frames, this is a tradeoff.

Neutral Newbie

I didn't really look at the brand but the frame is Aluminium, actually, it's better to have at least some gear to change the speed, especially when going up slight slope

Gears are helpful. But must at least get a Shimano "Tourney" rear derailers, and index shifting, which is the entry level groupset for sports bike. Those that just shows SHIMANO SIS don't really work .... when you are peddling up-slope and try to change to a lower gear ratio, the gear usually only shift when/IF you reach the top [:p]

Do a google on Shimano Tourney to find out more.

Edited by Fondue

Gears are helpful. But must at least get a Shimano "Tourney" rear derailers, and index shifting, which is the entry level groupset for sports bike. Those that just shows SHIMANO SIS don't really work .... when you are peddling up-slope and try to change to a lower gear ratio, the gear usually only shift when/IF you reach the top [:p]

Do a google on Shimano Tourney to find out more.

I don't think it's Shimano Tourney, it only have Shimano word on it

Get down to push.. hehe

Maybe myself seldom need to change gear when riding over short distance, slope or not..

I go for a leisure ride of 40 km non stop every weekend.. Maybe that's why.. And I mean leisure.. Alway got those professional looking cyclists overtaking me..

Edited by Beei

Actually, I'd recommend that you get a flying pigeon (traditional china commute) rather than a mountain bike. There's a online shop selling at $125 to $145 depending on wheelsize http://www.dekibike.com/ but you can probably find other models ard bike shops too. (got mention that elias mall bike shop sell also)

Much simpler with single speed, don't need to worry about shifting, and in general less components to worry about. Being used for ferrying your kids to school, I don't think you are really looking for speed.

Anyway, if you are hougang area, check out Tiong Hin also at end of lorong ah soo, near hougang (Block 108, Hougang Ave 1, #01-1293, Singapore 530108). They open till ard midnight, try to go in the evening instead.

I went over to Tiong Hin just now and they have a Aluminium Frame 26" Lady City bike at $145 but it is only single speed. Brand is "MoMoKi", still prefer one that have some gear change for slight upslope cycling as it will be better than just single speed, not sure it's a better idea to jsut get this single speed, then buy 2nd hand Shimano gear setup and DIY

Bro I just visited the serangoon north bike shop I recommended to you before. Realised that the shop is no longer there! Previously this shop ah peh can only speak hokkien. And just 2 shops away, there is another bike shop where this ah peh can speak mandarin + english so confirm not the same shop anymore. I checked the prices and found it to be more expensive. Then I made a trip to another bike shop at Hougang Block 327? or 329? Found that shop carrying alot of branded bikes but ... even much more expensive.

I think my kangtao....no more liao. I heard my friend say that 1 of the ah peh passed away some time ago, so perhaps he sold his business away. I still vividly remembered that I talked to him in mandarin or broken hokkien and he replies me with hokkien. And all his wares are still in boxes/cartons and as long as you tell him what you want, he'll say ok he has it and bring it out from his boxes.

I missed the time I paid $15 for cateye front lamps and many more good deals on bells, lizard skins, bike stands....(coz last time I used to compare prices alot). As long as you buy some stuff from him (even if few dollars), he'll gladly help you tune your bike a little. Doesn't charge. Now when I went around, I think most shops are charging at least $5 for tuning. Some even $10 - just for labour.

Now really no more kangtao!! [bigcry]

Hougang Blk327 is Kian Seng Heng Bicycle Trader, went there just now also but it's closed, will try tomorrow again, now more or less confirm on getting a 26" Lady City bike Aluminium frame, prefer with some basic speed gears instead of single speed.

I went over to Tiong Hin just now and they have a Aluminium Frame 26" Lady City bike at $145 but it is only single speed. Brand is "MoMoKi", still prefer one that have some gear change for slight upslope cycling as it will be better than just single speed, not sure it's a better idea to jsut get this single speed, then buy 2nd hand Shimano gear setup and DIY

Aleoca is better than MoMoKi.. [sweatdrop]

Tiong Hin at Lorong Ah Soo seems to be famous but I have not been there before....perhaps you can also check that out. I'll probably also check it out this week coz I need to help my BIL get a cheap + good bike so that he can join me in CycleSingapore.

went there just now, they have a 26" Lady City Aluminium frame at only $145 but single speed. Is it easy to buy some 2nd hand Shimano Gear set and then DIY [confused][confused][confused]

went there just now, they have a 26" Lady City Aluminium frame at only $145 but single speed. Is it easy to buy some 2nd hand Shimano Gear set and then DIY [confused][confused][confused]

Sure AL? Now aday so cheap liao? Last time mine CrMo cost $550. Better take a magnet and test it or bring one along to the shop and if they say it is Al. Anyway, I think shifter for Shimano comes in index shifts only. Personally, twist shift is better. For twist shift u can down shift or up shift several gear at a time, for indext shift u can only do it like in ARMY, ONE BY ONE! except when upshift, I think.

Edited by Twofouronenite

As per subject, where got the best deal for 26" mountain bicycle?

me looking for around $100 or less, basic model, will have to add a small rear seat + front basket so that I could ferry my eldest son (P3) next year in the morning to his school.

Just came back from Jurong point NTUC Express selling 26" at $66.90. [rolleyes]

Oh dear, so looks like this MoMoKi is out liao

Aleoca has quite a strong frame, although the other main parts like fork, wheelset, tires are very lousy..

MoMoKi, erm.. I heard reviews that their frame are not very strong.. Dangerous if you put a rear seat for your son..

Sure if you know how to tune the bicycle.. [thumbsup] If not can bring to bicycle shop to do it..

↡ Advertisement