China: Harbin - Any tips?

Kianbeng

Hi Bros,

Just confirmed my trip to Harbin 2nd week of Jan. Going to stop over at Beijing on return leg. AirChina flight (yes!) with ChanB.

I have some questions, hoping bros here can advise. Knowing that our bros here got all sorts of experience hehee

1) Clothing for -30+degrees Current temperature in Harbin. Even Beijing got snowstorm -17degrees. I stayed in winter countries for 2 weeks at -10 only wearing shirt + sweater + myjacket and walk outdoors for hours no prob. I hate long johns but was told this -30degress don't play play -> must get wool long john thumbsdown.gif But my thinking is that for tours, normally the time outside is minimal so it won't be that cold? Was thinking of skipping my long john and sticking to my shirt + sweater + myjacket. Any comments?

2) Photography - Going to bring my super trusty 20mm + 60mm fixed lenses + D80. Going to borrow my BrotherInLaw's D80 battery as spare (anyway his D80 is broken and waiting to be sent to Japan for warranty coz I helped him buy there shakehead.gif ) Anyway my lenses don't have filters. Just wondering if I should go buy a CPol (better skies?), or Skylight (cut away the blue from snow). Any suggestions and place to buy? Thinking of running past MSColour + Mustafa later. Some times surprised that Mustafa can be quite cheap on things but not sure about photographic stuff.

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

Hi Bros,

Just confirmed my trip to Harbin 2nd week of Jan. Going to stop over at Beijing on return leg. AirChina flight (yes!) with ChanB.

I have some questions, hoping bros here can advise. Knowing that our bros here got all sorts of experience hehee

1) Clothing for -30+degrees Current temperature in Harbin. Even Beijing got snowstorm -17degrees. I stayed in winter countries for 2 weeks at -10 only wearing shirt + sweater + myjacket and walk outdoors for hours no prob. I hate long johns but was told this -30degress don't play play -> must get wool long john [thumbsdown] But my thinking is that for tours, normally the time outside is minimal so it won't be that cold? Was thinking of skipping my long john and sticking to my shirt + sweater + myjacket. Any comments?

2) Photography - Going to bring my super trusty 20mm + 60mm fixed lenses + D80. Going to borrow my BrotherInLaw's D80 battery as spare (anyway his D80 is broken and waiting to be sent to Japan for warranty coz I helped him buy there [shakehead] ) Anyway my lenses don't have filters. Just wondering if I should go buy a CPol (better skies?), or Skylight (cut away the blue from snow). Any suggestions and place to buy? Thinking of running past MSColour + Mustafa later. Some times surprised that Mustafa can be quite cheap on things but not sure about photographic stuff.

Thanks

I will rather go for more layers of clothing than long john.... more layers trap heat too...

while preparing my photography equipment.... I realised my Tokina 28-70mm F2.8 constant is nowhere in sight! I must have lost it during my last trip to Genting!

[bigcry][bigcry][bigcry]

Hi Bros,

1) Clothing for -30+degrees Current temperature in Harbin. Even Beijing got snowstorm -17degrees. I stayed in winter countries for 2 weeks at -10 only wearing shirt + sweater + myjacket and walk outdoors for hours no prob. I hate long johns but was told this -30degress don't play play -> must get wool long john [thumbsdown] But my thinking is that for tours, normally the time outside is minimal so it won't be that cold? Was thinking of skipping my long john and sticking to my shirt + sweater + myjacket. Any comments?

2) Photography - Going to bring my super trusty 20mm + 60mm fixed lenses + D80. Going to borrow my BrotherInLaw's D80 battery as spare (anyway his D80 is broken and waiting to be sent to Japan for warranty coz I helped him buy there [shakehead] ) Anyway my lenses don't have filters. Just wondering if I should go buy a CPol (better skies?), or Skylight (cut away the blue from snow). Any suggestions and place to buy? Thinking of running past MSColour + Mustafa later. Some times surprised that Mustafa can be quite cheap on things but not sure about photographic stuff.

Thanks

I kana -4 cannot tanah liao. Will be good to bring and not to be without when u need. As for Long John, take care not to wash in hot water, it will shrink a few size smaller. On top of long john, a few layer of clothing would be good. U can also get heat pax selling at $9 at OG. These are for your toes when u r wearing shoe. Not forgetting socks. Remember to protect head and ears, very important. Then there's gloves too.

Happy holiday.

ya I have some heat packs leftovers from my mum's trip to China last month. But so far I bring them but never used them.

-4 and cannot tahan? I think it must be because of the wind. Wind seems to make a big big difference.

ya I have some heat packs leftovers from my mum's trip to China last month. But so far I bring them but never used them.

-4 and cannot tahan? I think it must be because of the wind. Wind seems to make a big big difference.

wind plays a big part..if got strong wind..even 0 deg will feel like absolute zero(-273 deg)..

Not wearing long john! [:p] Just a pair of jean! Also not e-nuff sleep and rushing here n there! In general wind factor is : 10Km/h wind drop 1deg Celsius.

You are there to catch the ice-carving? I am comtemplating of going to Hokaido in Feb to visit the Oodori Park for the ice-carving.

Ya lor. heehee. Coz the Ice Sculpture festival is only from Dec to Feb yearly. Oh I didn't know Odori park also got Ice carving. I was there 1.5 months ago. But that was the start of the winter season so probably not enough Ice I guess.

hi bro,

harbin is no joke. i m just back from a biz trip in changchun ( 1hr by train from harbin) temp there is abt 3deg warmer than harbin. also do note that early jan is the coldest part of winter to visit.

as for clothing, the cold wun kill, its the wind chills that stuns. I was donning 5 layers to withstand a nite temp of abt -26degC. can only walk in the streets for 5 min, and this is in the city. cant imagine wat happens in the open.

do also get heat packs in SG, most in CN ones cmi.

layers: longjohn(top + bottom) + L/S shirt + wool vest + wool sweater + winter jacket. Do also get proper windbreaking ( no puns here pls.. not pants wif a hole for you to break wind :) ) pants, as jeans wun stop the wind .

the abv is also suitable for skiing, but after a while u will be perspiring like a dog in a -10+ deg temp.

also if u hv time in CN, u shld get their wool caps + scarfs + face masks + ear cups there. real cheap each item typically less than S$5 each.

mice

Hi Bros,

Thanks

I have been there at -20 degrees without adequate clothing. Wasnt a good experience. Would recommend you to get 羽绒服. Trust me, once its minus 10 its very different from 0 degrees. I am in Shanghai now at 0 degrees :S

Neutral Newbie

Hi , i frequent china ask my job needs me to be there..jus came back sg for bout 1 mth..

I not sure bout harbin's temp now but Please wear enough to keep yourself warm...DO NOT believe some SG shop that sell winter wear saying their wat super fibre/wool 卫生衣 alone can tahan till -10 to -20 degrees...rubbish....i think the shop owner never even try before -10 degree with wind blowing...

Normal -10 degree without wind is still ok> 卫生衣+normal t-shirt + long sleeve wool + 1 good windbreaker + gloves is quite ok le...

If with the wind blowing..you will need more to keep yourself warm if its @ -10 degree...

Sometime bout 5 degree with wind is already knn horrible liao...

@ -15 degrees....its quite hard to smoke in the open..this i kanna at jiangsu...hv to use heat pack...quite buay tahan for me as used to SG weather lah..

Lowest that freek me out is bout -26 degrees...i see ppl pour boiling water from kettle in open street then turn into ice...i urine also can see my urine becoming ice....& there are ppl that ears fall off...i not 夸张....sometime can find ice on my nose..

China selling all these winter wear bloody cheap..if you buy in SG, go china see le will eyes big big..

If.. lets say if.. you go to pudong, take bus to their central train startion bout 45mins,take taxi willl be bout ¥150.. around it so many places to buy winter clothes..

Bring "TOILET PAPER" with you..heat packs..that place is really cold...some ear muff will be good..

EDITED: You are with tour group.. try ask if can go get some wool caps/mask watever...

I must stress> Do get some really good windbreaker, to block out those chilling wind...out in the open, try to wear 1 pair 卫生裤+wool stockings+your jeans...Y wear 2 pairs inside, jeans do not block out those cold chilling wind...

Shoes>> i at there, wear wool socks + a pair of shoes got wool inside de...Even those "caterpiller" boots also no use against those winds..lol

If out in the streets, sometime only half an hour, you might see around & start cursing the weather & you need to hide yourself from the wind or temperture change..

BUT this time go , you will see many china fashion...all wear high boots + the till knee length wind breaker with rebonded long silky hair..lol..some are very swee...

If you smoke, there is heaven for you..whahaha, marobolo is bout sgd 2-3....or u get their high class 中华,bout sgd 10...

Hmm.. tour group-beijing airpot, hv to see which hotel you stay, around it sure got shop sell winter wear..

Also do not 4get to take a pic of yourself with the big big dragon scrupter at departure there & the big big "鼎

Edited by Sgcop

Hi Bros,

Thanks

Been there, done that! [sweatdrop]

I'm a winter person and I cannot take it. Day time temperature should be around -20 degree. Night will go down to -35 degree.

Harbin is windy. Especially at the popular tourist attraction (ie the frozen lake, the mountain 'resort', and the ice sculpture) where there's vast open space.

I managed without long john!!! But I'm wearing my thick snow boarding pants and thick 'Antarctica expedition' type of ALL WEATHER JACKET, with PLA winter cap + cotton face mask + fleece scarf + wearing wool gloves under a thick ski gloves. [sweatdrop]

Those who suggested don't wear Long John and put on more clothing is giving a wrong advice bro. When you enter in door, you will be sweating with all those layers of clothings and you will feel itchy and get sore because with so many layers your skin can't breathe and it gets too moist.

With tour group, you will still get to expose to the elements because most attraction will require you to walk about for a minimum of 1 hr. But try to stay outdoor as long as you can. This way you get your body to acclimatize to the cold. If you keep going in and out of buildings, your body can't adapt to the cold and you will find that half the time you don't enjoy the tour at all and all you want is to return to your hotel only.

IF one of your attraction is the mountain, then good luck. They used single seater ski char lift (no canopy) . And the wind chill is scary. Wind will sip into your sleeves and shoes and your collar. Your face will be frozen... FROZEN hard.

At the top of the mountain is a small cottage where they serve hot beverages at ripped off price! They also sell winter gear at ripped off price for obvious reasons.

As for camera. Well, the DSLR body is ok. Battery life can be rejuvenated by warming it with your armpit [sweatdrop] But all those lenses which I brought to shoot are all spoilt prematurely. The cold will cause the lubricant to break down and the motors to die prematurely. So you are warned!

And also lenses will fogged up when you walked out of heated places into the cold. And the fog took ages to go away.

And finally, when you return to Beijing, you don't need a jacket anymore!!

As for camera. Well, the DSLR body is ok. Battery life can be rejuvenated by warming it with your armpit [sweatdrop] But all those lenses which I brought to shoot are all spoilt prematurely. The cold will cause the lubricant to break down and the motors to die prematurely. So you are warned!

And also lenses will fogged up when you walked out of heated places into the cold. And the fog took ages to go away.

Thanks for all bros' advise. Appreciate. Meaning I need to be serious!!

Regarding the cameras, oh dear all my lenses are my favourites! Last time really save up money just to buy it when I was a student more than 15 years ago.

Regarding the fogging of lenses, I thought it should come when we walk from cold to heated places instead? Outdoors should be dry isn't it?

Bring "TOILET PAPER" with you..heat packs..that place is really cold...some ear muff will be good..

Shoes>> i at there, wear wool socks + a pair of shoes got wool inside de...Even those "caterpiller" boots also no use against those winds..lol

Haha...ok thanks!

Regarding shoes, I've got a pair of Red Wings boots which is damn solid. I think it should be really ok. but I am thinking of bringing another shoe for comfortable walking in Beijing or other not so cold places. Otherwise this pair of boots is really heavy duty lor.

I'm actually worried for my wife's shoes. We haven't been able to find a suitable shoe for her yet. Her leather boots are normally with some high heels. I don't know if that'll be safe from slipping.

When you mentioned regarding those china girls fashion shows, the boots they are wearing, are they high heels?

I have been there at -20 degrees without adequate clothing. Wasnt a good experience. Would recommend you to get 羽绒服. Trust me, once its minus 10 its very different from 0 degrees. I am in Shanghai now at 0 degrees :S

Sigh. need to start digging out all my wool (yucky) stuff and shawls which were never never used.

Neutral Newbie

Haha...ok thanks!

Regarding shoes, I've got a pair of Red Wings boots which is damn solid. I think it should be really ok. but I am thinking of bringing another shoe for comfortable walking in Beijing or other not so cold places. Otherwise this pair of boots is really heavy duty lor.

I'm actually worried for my wife's shoes. We haven't been able to find a suitable shoe for her yet. Her leather boots are normally with some high heels. I don't know if that'll be safe from slipping.

When you mentioned regarding those china girls fashion shows, the boots they are wearing, are they high heels?

Hmm.. i later try take pic of what i wear for shoes...u see issit same type of not..lol..cos i wear boots + wool sock + wool stocking(is like another pants with socks attached)

I will also take pic of my char bor's boots, we cohibiting & i bring her for my work as assistant..if walk in snow, those heel boot do not really offer grip...on ice still hv to walk properly as my gf also slip & fall down when the road got thin ice..lol

EDITED: i take pic of the also knee height heels for u see.. china cheap..

***Pardon my stinky smelly dirty stuffs..still never wash..lol.. also dun think will be washing as going back China Herbei in 2 months time..

Last trip i went was for about 2.5 months...was @ guangzhou for seminer, there super hot, about 36 degrees, then i bring this pair go as i know end of year cold..lol.. this pair tahan be till -5 degree recently.. BUT had tahan me till -16 there during starting of 08..hope your shoes also at least like this type to Battle the chilling wind..

DSC00723.jpg

DSC00722.jpg

Then when temperture start to go lower till my caterpiller not much use.. i buy this pair @ ¥200 bah..inside got wool..

This pair tahan me till the horrible -26 degrees..with wool sock & the wool stocking pants..(jean+卫身库+棉裤)

DSC00720.jpg

DSC00718.jpg

I'm saying this type of knee height heels my gf wear during ...abit ugly but cold wat to do..price average rmb 200+..some can go up till rmb¥800。。her got flower is bout ¥370, still consider cheap if VS sg price..but when temp start lowering & the nasty wind..cos my shortest stay also 2 weeks...if kanna cold days.. i also LL hv to buy for her..

DSC00715.jpg

My ugly leg as example of knee height boots.

DSC00716.jpg

If your family members female need to buy boots, ask her to get this type inside got the wool/fur also..

If not, buay tahan de..of cos in SG, if wear will super uncomfortable lah..

DSC00717.jpg

As for the fashion, ppl now there wear this type mix with knee height boots.. swee...like (watever colour riding hood) at china buy "Normal shops> start from ¥160..then their shopping 商场 starts from ¥300...

DSC00725.jpg

Hope it helps..as other forumers had said> Harbin's temperture + wind is not joke.. its scary de..

EDITED: best is wear till become look fat fat to tahan the chilling winds..scarf can get those (棉+鸸) scarf..

If got free time, buy & buy...very cheap(subjected to places) i know those SG shop sell female bra & panties say 3 panties for sgd$10... if at china see, 1 piece is only sgd $0.40(i divide by 5,easy to count) many charbor things super cheap..guys things also very cheap..i hv a suit buy @ china converted to SGD bout $20...(1 coat+shirt+pants) then some shop sell real taxido(dunno spelling) full set bout sgd $70..

Mayb bring a adapter plug just in case..is 1 small round at top 2 flat stright at bottom..

Oh.. you can also follow what i always see & follow in china, bring thermoflask put tea leaf inside..got prepare better then dun hv when you need it.

>> my gf that knee height boot is for tarmac road use.. but when got thin ice, not much grip..the char bor over there wear boots flat sole with wool also..(saw when i was @ mongolia)

** i personelly never go into harbin stay & play... only sit jeep go see see(less then 2 hours there) then left..reason is i kanna & stay bout 1 week @ lowest -26 degrees in china, already see ppl ear fall old, see own urine turn into ice.. then know harbin more cold..cos i my body got problem, when cold hv to urine,cannot tahan, go too cold place need urine, anyhow find spot to release..lol.. scare wait my dick drop off lah..heard got old ppl say drop off..wah lao..

Out in the Cold is scary worst when not enough "protection", will make u numb, hand open up/close will pain...i remember by far worst is i go germany play wid gf's bro in law(ang mor) minus 37 degree in the mountains..7 of us "guai lan" (stupid) ppl try go up..(me, her bro in law, her father,uncle,her brother,some ang mo ppl)....all u-turn not even halfway..lol & that was like minus 20 with big wind..completly buay tahan.

I believe if with real proper clothes/winter wear(snow ski equipment)..Harbin is no problem de..if not, how the ppl live there & walk around in the open(of cos they quite used to it).

Edited by Sgcop

Wah!! I am very pai seh + gam tong for your pictures!! [thumbsup]

edit: The problem with my charbo's leg is that she wear size 4. Thats very small. So all the big ang mo brand don't have this size. Normally starts at size 7. Maybe size 6 need to order in. Size 4 ... no such size exist!

Edited by Kianbeng
↡ Advertisement