China: Harbin - Any tips?

Kianbeng

also, pls dun pay more than RMB 5 for the top one, while abt RMB20 for the fancy designs...got a fren whole paid RMB40 for a hellokitty ear muffs [knife]

also, sry abt big pics, needed to show details

mice

↡ Advertisement

ok I just came back from Harbin.

Just get the snow boots from there. Can buy from the shops at Zhong Yang Ta Jie (main shopping street). 50 RMB. Thick padding with metal spikes.

The ear muffs are useful. 5rmb only.

There are total of 3 ice sites. 1)Zhaolin park (in the city) 100rmb. This year is disney theme. nothing much but kids may like. 2) The annual harbin snow world. Cross the songhua river (north side) recommanded to see. rmb150. 3) during the day, snow carving at sun island.

Another must see is the safari tiger park. You will be sitted in a bus. Tigers and lions in the wild. RMB65. Can buy chickens(rmb20) and sheep(600) and even cow(1200). we bought a sheep and feed the lions.... see they chase down the poor sheep and rip in apart..machiam national geographic...gross. but its nature I suppose...

overall, nice place, cold,cheap food.... and try the ski too at Yabuli . Take the cable car up the mountain... temp will be -30 withstrong winds...freeze ur balls off... haha enjoy

(edited)

try this type, can get abt S$1 each in china shops

many designs too...

this for the missus

[laugh]

mice

Wow thanks for the pics! Will get them. But I wonder if I get to buy from these cheap shops first before I go to those icy place. You know lah....guided tours have to follow itinery one.....

Edited by Kianbeng

ok I just came back from Harbin.

Just get the snow boots from there. Can buy from the shops at Zhong Yang Ta Jie (main shopping street). 50 RMB. Thick padding with metal spikes.

The ear muffs are useful. 5rmb only.

There are total of 3 ice sites. 1)Zhaolin park (in the city) 100rmb. This year is disney theme. nothing much but kids may like. 2) The annual harbin snow world. Cross the songhua river (north side) recommanded to see. rmb150. 3) during the day, snow carving at sun island.

Another must see is the safari tiger park. You will be sitted in a bus. Tigers and lions in the wild. RMB65. Can buy chickens(rmb20) and sheep(600) and even cow(1200). we bought a sheep and feed the lions.... see they chase down the poor sheep and rip in apart..machiam national geographic...gross. but its nature I suppose...

overall, nice place, cold,cheap food.... and try the ski too at Yabuli . Take the cable car up the mountain... temp will be -30 withstrong winds...freeze ur balls off... haha enjoy

Thanks for tips. Just checked with my wife, our itinery with ChanB don't have the Safari leh. Which tour agency you joined? I guess my wife cannot tahan the sight of it too....

Regarding shoes, she just bought her trekking+waterproof shoes. Columbia brand. $179. Sigh I can expect it'll be used only for 1 time. Expensive trip. Coz normally she don't even wear track shoes out so these shoes will be left at home. It's also hard not to buy 1 prior to trip coz during the briefing they kept telling us not to wait till arrival to buy. At least get a decent pair in SG first. So .... no choice. But RMB50 is dirt cheap....

I hope they do sell the spikes where I can clip on to my boots. Otherwise my boots if slippery...also wasted liao

Wow thanks for the pics! Will get them. But I wonder if I get to buy from these cheap shops first before I go to those icy place. You know lah....guided tours have to follow itinery one.....

this is a bit tough as its real cheap to get there. and the quality is gd enuf for one trip of 2 weeks est... yes, thats all.

mice

i believe you already got lot of information from various people from the forum. here are my trip to haer bin last year during the cny.

part 1

part 2

part 3

basically what you need to prepare are

1. Top: 3 layers, long john (wool or cotton), a long sleeve thick T-shirt, a wind proof jacket or ski jacket

2a. Bottom option 1: 2 layers, long john or cotton track pant, ski pant

2b. Bottom option 2: 3 layers, long john, cotton track pant and jean

3. Gloves: use a liner and a external thick glove. this allow you to take out the external glove and take pictures with your inner liner.

4. Shoes: At harbin, if you need to buy boot with metal claw below, it cost about 80 to 100 rmb. Those trekking shoes with Goretex technology would be good but i understand it cost a bomb especially if you are only going to use once.

5. Head gear: some friend of mine put on mask like those terrorist would put on but later they find that it is too hot.

6. bring your sunglasses. it is very glaring during the day.

my wife and friend were on top of the mountain, wind were blowing strong and these were what they wore.

post-9011-1230862297_thumb.jpg

Some advice over there.

1. your tour group is likely to head to some shop that sell russion good, avoid buying from those shops, it going to cost a bomb. you could get those good from supermarket if you have free time. even the shop at airport sell cheaper. i quote an example here. I bought the wistle with the compass and thermometer built in. the shop selling at 50rmb and we bargain down to 25rmb that is good price to us. online selling for 10rmb each.

2. at the ski resort, you will need to pay 200rmb for personally coach. they do not have a coach for 4 or 5 people. but if you are willingly to pay, the coach are very professional and some are very pretty if you happen to get a female coach ;)

3. at the ice scuplture, avoid going into the shop selling snack, your camera will have foging and you will have to rest for 20mins in the cold again to be able to get rid of the fog. also, a cup of hot chocalate (a tea spoon of milo and little sugar, taste horrible) cost 20rmb.

finally, have fun, enjoy the trip and go get some firework and firecracker to set it off. you will never have this opportunity in singapore.

Edited by Fourwheels
  • Praise 1

Thanks for tips. Just checked with my wife, our itinery with ChanB don't have the Safari leh. Which tour agency you joined? I guess my wife cannot tahan the sight of it too....

Regarding shoes, she just bought her trekking+waterproof shoes. Columbia brand. $179. Sigh I can expect it'll be used only for 1 time. Expensive trip. Coz normally she don't even wear track shoes out so these shoes will be left at home. It's also hard not to buy 1 prior to trip coz during the briefing they kept telling us not to wait till arrival to buy. At least get a decent pair in SG first. So .... no choice. But RMB50 is dirt cheap....

I hope they do sell the spikes where I can clip on to my boots. Otherwise my boots if slippery...also wasted liao

It was free n Easy but its easier cos I stay in Shanghai. My return flight ticket only cost less then SGD300.haha CHEAP. Anyway the park is called siberian tiger park i think.. you can take a cab there.. cheap!. wouldnt cost you mre then rmb30 per trip. ANother place worth visiting is the 731 memorial place.. those jap invasion thingy...although th one in nanjing is better...

The snow boots is not so much for the grip, more for keep warm...the padding damn solid. Anyway, just buy one pair there lor, sgd10 bucks...use and give or throw away.

Edited by Adrianlim13
  • Praise 1

It was free n Easy but its easier cos I stay in Shanghai. My return flight ticket only cost less then SGD300.haha CHEAP. Anyway the park is called siberian tiger park i think.. you can take a cab there.. cheap!. wouldnt cost you mre then rmb30 per trip. ANother place worth visiting is the 731 memorial place.. those jap invasion thingy...although th one in nanjing is better...

The snow boots is not so much for the grip, more for keep warm...the padding damn solid. Anyway, just buy one pair there lor, sgd10 bucks...use and give or throw away.

if any1 needs a cab driver in harbin, do giv me a yell. i hv one or two "good" ones. at least they will give u a decent $$( read as reasonable, not lowest) and wun take u for a ride.

mice

reviving old thread....

anything to see, do or eat in Harbin for 1 full day?

not going during the winter time so no ice festival

appreciate any recommendations

thanks 

:D

reviving old thread....

thanks

Ice kachang :XD:
  • Praise 2

reviving old thread....

thanks 

If no ice festival, go harbin for what? Lol. Thought harbin is famous for ice festival during winter?!

reviving old thread....

thanks 

likely no roast goose there

but beer should be cheap

ladies there need some warmth

doing good ya? going hongkong going harbin

• Praise 1

Take train to Mohe to see the Northern lights.

thanks but don't intend to venture out of the city...

only 1 day free

likely no roast goose there

but beer should be cheap

ladies there need some warmth

doing good ya? going hongkong going harbin

travel for work ...u think fun meh?

[sweatdrop]

Ice kachang :XD:

if i eat any, i will post in makan thread ha

thanks but don't intend to venture out of the city...

only 1 day free

travel for work ...u think fun meh?

[sweatdrop]

if i eat any, i will post in makan thread ha

got 1 day free

to have some fun ...MTL

• Praise 3

Only 1 day then take picture of Russian church (St. Sophia), eat Russian borscht, drink Russian vodka, talk to Russian xmm (speak Mandarin only, no English).

ok thanks

ironically i would be in China

Has anyone been to the Snow City?

I read that the road to the city is pretty dangerous & not advisable to visit there as the villagers are rude.