Food in Johor Bahru

Genie47

Neutral Newbie

Hmmm....I've only been there once quite sometime when I was riding with some brothers from bike forums. Till now I'm still not too sure how to get there. Didn't know the standards there dropped.... [:/]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

My contribution:

Permas Jaya Jusco, at the junction before u hit jusco, turn right.. inside u can drive all the way to the end, got a variety of seafood restaurants, famous nasi lemak, and enjoy the sea breeze and view of Sembawang on the opposite bank.

the nasi lemak will be at senibong,near permas jaya.i agree the nasi lemak is nice.the beef rendang is very tender,so is the satay.you tried that,you'll think what is punggol nasi lemak or any nasi lemak in singapore compared to this one..yummy! [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

Along the same row of shophouses as the Ah Koong, is a restaurant called Peking Restaurant, or Bei Jing Lou.... Not bad also... There is another 2 branches, 1 in Taman Molek, and another forgot liao... =)

There is 1 Bei Jing Lou in Taman Sutera. Damn expensive. In my opinion, I might as well eat in Tung Lok Signature / Club Chinois locally.

• Praise 1

there are 4 bei jing lou in JB. If you are using malsingmap, search for Pekin Restaurant.

1. Taman Molek 北京楼 Address: Jalan Molek 1/9

2. Taman Sentosa 北京海鲜楼

3. Taman Sutera 五福北京城

4. Masai 北京云华宫

Addresses can be found on their website: http://www.pekin.com.my/contact.html

I have dine in all of them more than 50 times in total. Each of them are of different price range.

In general, per head budget

1. Taman Molek 北京楼 (RM20-RM40)

2. Taman Sentosa 北京海鲜楼 (RM15-RM40)

3. Taman Sutera 五福北京城 (RM30-RM80)

4. Masai 北京云华宫 (RM30-RM50)

The signature dish are different in each restaurant, my fav includes

1. Taman Molek 北京楼 - Pekin Pork Rib, Ou-nee, steam sun hock

2. Taman Sentosa 北京海鲜楼 (RM15-RM40) mutton claypot, crabs, roast chicken, 上湯莧菜

3. Taman Sutera 五福北京城 (RM30-RM80) crabs, seafood, etc

4. Masai 北京云华宫 (RM30-RM50) - this is situated in a club house, only been there once, very small and not much impression. Can skip

Pekin Restaurant is an established name in JB and very well received by the locals (almost impossible to get table for weekend without reservation - unless u go damn early or damn late, esp taman sutera branch).

Other well established chinese seafood restaurants in JB include:

a. New Lucky (新運) at Taman Sri Tebrau

b. Kong Inn (港一) at Taman Sentosa

c. Jumbo (珍寶) at various location, usually further north

If you find Pekin Restaurant expensive, you can skip Kong In (Taman Sentosa). New Lucky and Jumbo are more economical.

Some less facilities but also my fav include:

a. Onn kee (Permas Jaya)

b. San Low

c. Hackson

d. Senimbong

• Praise 1

I felt pekin restaurant in JB is expensive not solely because of the price we paid but rather the value we got for the price we paid. Given the environment, location, food quality, there isn't much motivation for me to go peikin restaurant in JB since there are comparable restaurants in SG offering similar items at similar prices.

• Praise 1

I felt pekin restaurant in JB is expensive not solely because of the price we paid but rather the value we got for the price we paid. Given the environment, location, food quality, there isn't much motivation for me to go peikin restaurant in JB since there are comparable restaurants in SG offering similar items at similar prices.

no worry, totally understand and respect your opinion.

just thot of sharing some of the restaurants i frequent and a sense of the average dining cost.

anyone got recommendation for bak ku teh? [nosebleed]

my personal best choice of bak ku teh is Ah Soon BKT along the small lane between taman sentosa and taman garden. Had been eating there for the past >25yrs [inlove]

but since I start driving, had stop going to JB cause I don like to drive thru 1st link.

Since then, had been eating BKT at Queens garden @ perlin. Not as good as Ah soon's, but at least much much better then those in sg [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

the nasi lemak will be at senibong,near permas jaya.i agree the nasi lemak is nice.the beef rendang is very tender,so is the satay.you tried that,you'll think what is punggol nasi lemak or any nasi lemak in singapore compared to this one..yummy! [thumbsup]

Latest update... Nasi Lemak standard drop liao... [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

Quite surprise that You Ming seafood was not mentioned. Located in Kulai, that place will be pack with SG bike and car groups. They has several speciality dishes, like their moonlight kwaytao, double style cod fish, double flavour prawn, giant You Ming pork ribs, signboard toufu etc.

1 junction before You Ming is the Kulai nasi lemark. less queue that our changi nasi lemark, better then our changi nasi lemark, and confirm/gurantee/chop cheaper then our changi nasi lemark. normally I will ask for double drumstick, and cost less then S$3.

And further down You Ming right beside the Shell, there is the Kulai Tim Sum. Make-on-the-spot chee chong fun is one of the regular ordered dish.

• Praise 1

Forgot to mention it's Bak Kut Teh here.

JB to kota tinggi is like ... 50KM?

that road is Jalan Tebrau or now call tebrau highway. WHich part is the bak kut teh? any name?

Was there only once this year while on the way back to JB from Mersing for Ching Ming. It was not very far from JB though. Sorry for posting info here without knowing the name of the stall. Apology.

No, I actually appreciate you sharing your experiences + prices. But can I understand whats your motivation when going to these restaurants? Or is it because you spend alot more time in Msia than in SG? Or you already sian of all the restaurants in sg?

No, I actually appreciate you sharing your experiences + prices. But can I understand whats your motivation when going to these restaurants? Or is it because you spend alot more time in Msia than in SG? Or you already sian of all the restaurants in sg?

motivation? to have a meal, always.

And yes, I spend a lot of time in JB mainly my parents are staying there. I loves Singapore's restaurants too, but depending to types of food, when it come to western food, I preferred SIngapore's wide variety. For seafood, with the exception of Sri Lankan crabs, Malaysia's style cooking suite me better.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1