Income/Class classification in Singapore.

Milgram

i agree with what throttle bro said, class doesn't matter, it's what you do within the 'class' you are in that matters. eating in hawker centre, food courts or coffee shop doesn't mean one is low class. the same applies to pple with frequent expensive restaurants, they could be living beyond what's comfortable for them.

for me, i try to save 50% of monthly take home pay to invest. recent market turmoil made me lose one 5series too, but it's ok, not leveraged so can tahan a bit. heartache for sure, but i have benefited in good times too.

Edited by Taohuaychui
↡ Advertisement

cant agree with you more... 5k is peanuts in SG.. not forgetting take home only 4k.

Actually depends on individual commitments, if a young couple have no kids, no cars, spend moderately, no old folks to take care of....8k household incomes (take home) is very very comfortable.

Neutral Newbie

I believe using percentage is a better gauge than to state figures.

Top 20% income - High Class (Top 10% of the 20% - Elite Class)

Bottom 20% income - Low Class (Bottom 10% of 20% - Poor Class)

The Other 60% income - Middle Class (lower 20% - low middle class; middle 20% - middle middle class; high 20% - high middle class)

Nice post bro....any idea what are the top 20%, bottom 20% and middle 60% incomes are like in terms of actual total household incomes (in SGD)?

To all bros - I think the stoopid newspapers, when they wrote low/middle/high class, they actually meant low income class, middle income class and high income class.

I take the point, and wholeheartedly agree, that one's salary is not a good gauge in terms of how classy one is - classy in this case referring to how you conduct yourself with respect to people and things about you. But I wasn't really talking about this dah [lipsrsealed]

Neutral Newbie

in economic theory, savings = investments and vice versa.

So, yes is my answer.

During recent crisis, paper loss enough to buy a brand new 5er so very sim tiah.

Remain disciplined and did a bit of scalping to reduce losses by a Latio so now not so bad but still sim tiah.

always remember, dare to play, be ready to lose

Good advice bro, thanks! [thumbsup]

i agree with what throttle bro said, class doesn't matter, it's what you do within the 'class' you are in that matters. eating in hawker centre, food courts or coffee shop doesn't mean one is low class. the same applies to pple with frequent expensive restaurants, they could be living beyond what's comfortable for them.

for me, i try to save 50% of monthly take home pay to invest. recent market turmoil made me lose one 5series too, but it's ok, not leveraged so can tahan a bit. heartache for sure, but i have benefited in good times too.

wah say Dude, you also like me save 50% of salary type.....steady lah.

about losing a brand new 5 series, no choice , as long as in the market , sure lose.

some people lose Porsches , others lose Aveos and Corollas.

As least you know that you are not alone..

Turbocharged

about losing a brand new 5 series, no choice , as long as in the market , sure lose.

I lose saucepanter but at least did not lose myself [sunny]

Nice post bro....any idea what are the top 20%, bottom 20% and middle 60% incomes are like in terms of actual total household incomes (in SGD)?

To all bros - I think the stoopid newspapers, when they wrote low/middle/high class, they actually meant low income class, middle income class and high income class.

I take the point, and wholeheartedly agree, that one's salary is not a good gauge in terms of how classy one is - classy in this case referring to how you conduct yourself with respect to people and things about you. But I wasn't really talking about this dah [lipsrsealed]

Hawker like selling mince meat noodle or curry puff which earn more than 10k or 20k a month can consider as upper class anot? Do take note that some even drive Benz

Edited by Axela72

It has never been class basis..... its;

Low income group

Middle income

High income.....

When has we become a class based society????

Since you started primary school, which class did you go to? Since you start taking your driving license, which class do you have?

Since when our society didnt have class based classification?

Edited by Loneranger

Hawker like selling mince meat noodle or curry puff which earn more than 10k or 20k a month can consider as upper class anot? Do take note that some even drive Benz

Let's just define it by economic class. high income/middle income and low income. that way, we won't need to consider the cultured high class artsy fartsy class. [flowerface]

Since you started primary school, which class did you go to? Since you start taking your driving license, which class do you have?

Since when our society didnt have class based classification? BTW you never tell me how did you got a $2500pm table wiper job? Still need ppl

or not?

haha.. yes.. throttle wipe tables at suntec and drives a BMW too... i have been waiting for an opening for a long time.

haha.. yes.. throttle wipe tables at suntec and drives a BMW too... i have been waiting for an opening for a long time.

eh you pls take a queue hor....you are no 250 as of now [laugh]

oh yes..i was referring to throttle.

Good advice bro, thanks! [thumbsup]

Try to diversify into precious metals too. Incoming inflation would eat into your savings and the interest you earn would probably not make up for it. Our local inflation rate shot up in 2008, and with all the stimulus plans being laid out globally I am afraid to see what would happen in 2009. Why precious metals? Because everything else is very volatile now. For me I don't think even my nerves can take this current volatile environment. [bigcry]

yes yes, i always save for rainy days and for investments. you are absolutely right, once in the market, sure will lose some. but as long as i know what i'm doing, i'm perfectly alright with taking those risks.

Try to diversify into precious metals too. Incoming inflation would eat into your savings and the interest you earn would probably not make up for it. Our local inflation rate shot up in 2008, and with all the stimulus plans being laid out globally I am afraid to see what would happen in 2009. Why precious metals? Because everything else is very volatile now. For me I don't think even my nerves can take this current volatile environment. [bigcry]

personally, i think with the amount of dislocation in the markets now, equities should be the asset class to be in for the next few years. if u can stomache the volatilities, i believe more money can be made in equities.

personally, i think with the amount of dislocation in the markets now, equities should be the asset class to be in for the next few years. if u can stomache the volatilities, i believe more money can be made in equities.

Unfortunately I have a small stomach when it comes to savings. Unless its not my own money *coughmadofff* [:p]

Unfortunately I have a small stomach when it comes to savings. Unless its not my own money *coughmadofff* [:p]

fair game...u shd do/invest in stuff which allow you to sleep well at night. that's my criteria...

↡ Advertisement