Exercise watches that measure distance and other info.

Scenic98

I no longer have any gym facility to use and am running the roads more. Problem is, it's very difficult to guage your distance unless you run on a route where you can drive to measure the distance.

Am considering to get one of those watches that can do the above. I've come across Polar 200sd and the other higher Polar models. But it seem 200sd is the most economical but still costing something like usd250. Locally, it cost even more. I also thought of getting the Nike plus system as i already have the shoe. But the Nike shop told me all the stocks have been recalled as there's been a lot of complains for the 1st batch.

Anyone out there have used such a gadget? Is the 200sd a weight on your wrist? How about the Pod that you attach to your shoe?

Any other brands that i can consider? Tks in advance.

↡ Advertisement

I no longer have any gym facility to use and am running the roads more. Problem is, it's very difficult to guage your distance unless you run on a route where you can drive to measure the distance.

Am considering to get one of those watches that can do the above. I've come across Polar 200sd and the other higher Polar models. But it seem 200sd is the most economical but still costing something like usd250. Locally, it cost even more. I also thought of getting the Nike plus system as i already have the shoe. But the Nike shop told me all the stocks have been recalled as there's been a lot of complains for the 1st batch.

Anyone out there have used such a gadget? Is the 200sd a weight on your wrist? How about the Pod that you attach to your shoe?

I'm using a Polar S625X. Try going to Bencoolen Shopping center. There r a few store there n they give good discount, got mine slightly more than SDG $520.

Nike system is a entry level and u need an Ipod Nano and only Nano to be combatible. The watch and pod don't weight much or at least u dun feel it. It might hinder ur tying of shoe lace!

Drive your car down the road to estimate the distance :D

some routes are possible, but some are not. i ran along the road that encircles botanic gardens, the cluny park road stretch ends at Trysall (spelling?) rd which is one way. so i literally had to drive around twice in different directions.

I'm using a Polar S625X. Try going to Bencoolen Shopping center. There r a few store there n they give good discount, got mine slightly more than SDG $520.

Nike system is a entry level and u need an Ipod Nano and only Nano to be combatible. The watch and pod don't weight much or at least u dun feel it. It might hinder ur tying of shoe lace!

is Bencoolen Shopping centre the one near the Kuan Yin temple, opp Sim Lim Sq? which shop did u go to. PM me if not convenient.

the Nike plus system has a wrist band which seem much smaller than any Polar watches. but since it's not reliable, i doubt pretty much subsequent batch will not have any issues.

Any brands out there that uses GPS?

I am using the Polar 200sd and yes! I recommend you go get it.

The pod attached to the shoe is unnoticable although there is a AA battery in it. I have used it and then measured the route I ran in Google Earth and found the distance to be accurate. This Polar does not count just your steps to get the distance, it uses other parameter to measure too.

Other than distance, the heart rate monitor has a own zone function that lets you run in the required zone according to your health condition. After using this HRM, I realised I have been "over-running" all this while.

some routes are possible, but some are not. i ran along the road that encircles botanic gardens, the cluny park road stretch ends at Trysall (spelling?) rd which is one way. so i literally had to drive around twice in different directions.

is Bencoolen Shopping centre the one near the Kuan Yin temple, opp Sim Lim Sq? which shop did u go to. PM me if not convenient.

the Nike plus system has a wrist band which seem much smaller than any Polar watches. but since it's not reliable, i doubt pretty much subsequent batch will not have any issues.

Any brands out there that uses GPS?

Yes, that's the one next to OG Where they sell lot of jade or buddhist stuff. I cannot remember the shop name but it is beside the phone shop or a few shop away from the phone shop. Not Mei Mei and Not the opposite corner shop. If u go in from Kuan Yin temple, turn right it's on the right side, some where near the center.

There another shop at queenway shopping center,cannot remember store name but the owner is Doris but she dun open on Friday or it is Saturday. Price is OK there too. This shop is at 1F, very small shop selling watches. Location is around center area of the shopping center.

GPS unit u have to go for top end model that cost 800 or 900plus. But GPS units are not for indoor use or nead building. If u bike then go for Bike and running model.

Nike do not have HRM not useful, just basic use only.

Other brand will be I think is Garmin cannot really recall as this was pass by mouth from Sport shop. It's at Novena shoping mall. Opposite the gym, name is Outdoor something, it is a shop selling those Outdoor product. Not been to this to check so cannot really provide more info.

Edited by Twofouronenite

I am using the Polar 200sd and yes! I recommend you go get it.

The pod attached to the shoe is unnoticable although there is a AA battery in it. I have used it and then measured the route I ran in Google Earth and found the distance to be accurate. This Polar does not count just your steps to get the distance, it uses other parameter to measure too.

Other than distance, the heart rate monitor has a own zone function that lets you run in the required zone according to your health condition. After using this HRM, I realised I have been "over-running" all this while.

Over rev ur Engine ah?? :D , HRM very useful, beginning think it is just a rich man tools(Wu Lui Kia Si type) but after using find it OK, make one very goal orientaled.! Definately help with training but lately lazy gain weight ! [lipsrsealed]

Over rev ur Engine ah?? :D , HRM very useful, beginning think it is just a rich man tools(Wu Lui Kia Si type) but after using find it OK, make one very goal orientaled.! Definately help with training but lately lazy gain weight ! [lipsrsealed]

same here...lately gain weight again. so need to get back to regular schedule. all the travelling towards end of last year makes thing worst. i typically run 5km per session but after a while, running the same route can be quite boring. inside botanic gardens has many paths to take but no distance marker. paying for the watch might just motivate me.

tks for the info, will drop by Bencolen.

Hey, I run around there too. From my house to botanic gardens and back again...

Bro you can try Sealand Sports at Lucky Plaza B1- 71

They sell sports stuff including these kind of watches. They even have GPS incoporated into the exercise watch...

got other stuff from there.

Service good and good price!

use those online maps to measure distance, that's what i did last time on streetdirectory

same here...lately gain weight again. so need to get back to regular schedule. all the travelling towards end of last year makes thing worst. i typically run 5km per session but after a while, running the same route can be quite boring. inside botanic gardens has many paths to take but no distance marker. paying for the watch might just motivate me.

This Polar 200sd goes as much as $500 in some shops but I bought it for $300+ from Parisilk in Holland Village.

I would recommend get one with HRM and distance measurement so that your running log is complete. The advantage of having distance measurement is you can change your running route anytime and anywhere. I avoid running along road, so I tend to change route when I see one that is good. This will avoid getting bored from running the same route everytime.

Forget the GPS HRM because you can't use it in the gym.

I run in Simei and usually clock 5 km, I am shooting for the Adidas sunset 10 km run in May. Anyone running around Simei?

Edited by Cklasse

hi,

i m using the Nike+ system. quite cheap when considering other sets with dist, cal, pace, time and u can use it to login to nike webbie and actually mapout your route quite accurately, with the actual dist as well. it will also plot ur pace, track ur dist... blah blah blah... less toasting ur bread.

as for the failures, there is many instances of the screen fogging. mine is still ok after 3mth of use. anyway their warranty is 1yr 1-to-1 unlimited replacement. and a new model is coming Spring 2009. so i just buy and use, if fog, just change.

oh, in order for this fella to be accurate, u need to run and calibrate it for a min of 400m and do the same for walking, then all else is OK.

anyway, i m using it with shok exp+, so far so good.

mice

Neutral Newbie

This Polar 200sd goes as much as $500 in some shops but I bought it for $300+ from Parisilk in Holland Village.

$300+ is very good price. Is it new or used? May I have the location of Parisilk?

Thank you.

$300+ is very good price. Is it new or used? May I have the location of Parisilk?

Thank you.

Bought new in Parisilk Store in Holland Village (everyone knows holland village, right?). It's opposite the chicken hor fun shop and you can't miss it because it sells electrical goods. I always buy my electrical stuff from them, one of the cheapest so far.

Had wanted to get it from US but couldn't find it in the shops there. Btw, if the threadmill is Polar enabled, it will pick up the signal from the chest HRM transmitter. This transmitter is fabric type with only the electronics in a small plastic casing.

U may want to check out the Garmin Forerunner 405.

Got it for $540 from Perfect Watch at SLS.

HRM included.

However, heard East Gear also selling and cheaper too...

http://www.timex.com/gp/product/B0015RRLK4...timexBrand=core

Hope this helps. [flowerface]

Travel a lot, and now winter time, no gym over here too. Put on weight faster than taking off! I also use a pedometer for daily step counting.

↡ Advertisement