Buying a good quality safe box for home

Neoxenon

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a good quality safe box for my home. I don't mind paying more for a good brand that provide enough resistance against a burglary - something that makes it really frustrating for him to tray to break open. Other than the uber-expensive Chubb, are there any options that anyone can recommend for value? I'd prefer not to buy those from HomeFix, Giant or some stationery stores. Thanks!

↡ Advertisement

Same one lah. Just get either one that is mounted to a wall or a ultra big one which is difficult to move one and dan get a security system that has a web-cam connected to your PC and is linked to your mobile phone.

Neutral Newbie

I've read that not all safes are made equal. First, there's the issue of fire rating, and the filling used is supposedly different from brand to brand (that may compromise the fire resistance and protection of your contents). Second, different brands have different ways of construction and different materials, which will deter the burglar to different extent (eg. how long he takes to hack open the safe using hammer/chisel or oxy-acetane flames). So from what I understand, there's a difference amongst different brands.

I've read that not all safes are made equal. First, there's the issue of fire rating, and the filling used is supposedly different from brand to brand (that may compromise the fire resistance and protection of your contents). Second, different brands have different ways of construction and different materials, which will deter the burglar to different extent (eg. how long he takes to hack open the safe using hammer/chisel or oxy-acetane flames). So from what I understand, there's a difference amongst different brands.

Have you tried Googling the words home safe?

Since you do not want the types sold at shopping malls and you are talking about fire resistance and cutting open with torches etc, what is stopping you from getting a safe deposit box in a bank? Are you talking about truly irreplaceable things? Or merely just valuable things? What is the point of having your house burn down but having the contents of the safe (supposedly) intact? If it is no longer intact when you open the safe, already too late, right? Might as well move the items to a remote location like a safe deposit box where there is fire protection (sprinklers etc). You got even a fire extinguisher at home (not to mention sprinkler system)?

Any safe no matter how secure, if movable, is no longer secure. The thief can take his own sweet time to open it after carrying it away. In that case you might as well get a safe the size of a fridge and secure it into the building by building around it. Such requirements are no longer considered "retail" or home safes.

Why bother when you can just get a safe deposit box?

Or are your own requirements just plain fantasy?

I got a better idea. Check with one of our local banks. Talk to an RM. Tell them you want to deposit SGDxxk with them. Ask for a safe deposit box. Maintenance should be around 50 odd bucks a year.

There you have a safe deposit box for your precious stuff.

I am paying $198+ pa for medium size safe box at cisco and that's because I have been with them for 20 yrs. New applicant has to pay $300+. Now I am also thinking of a good home safe about 200+kg. Anyone got suggestion? Any weight restriction on hdb flat.

Edited by Dumb

Safe deposit boxes are not necessarily safe either - remember some time back DBS in HK destroyed their customers safe deposit boxes and the contents?

Neutral Newbie

I always had this fear that if one were to buy a safe and the guy delivers it to ur home (assume it is those heavy ones) is it not like telling the whole world there might be something valuable in ur house? (presumably cash, jewels etc.)

I am not saying the delivery guy/ppl handling the acct details are bad or anything but when greed comes into the pic anything is possible.

Nohnemwan: bank safes are good but might be a hassle if u have to go down all the way to retrieve something. also the long waiting time to get a bank safe box might put some ppl off.

I think TS is referring to protecting some important certs/documents or even some monetary possessions from fires, theft. Safes are movable but are freaking heavy. So it being a hassle for any fly by night robber he will just give it a miss (hopefully).

Neutral Newbie

Have you tried Googling the words home safe?

Since you do not want the types sold at shopping malls and you are talking about fire resistance and cutting open with torches etc, what is stopping you from getting a safe deposit box in a bank? Are you talking about truly irreplaceable things? Or merely just valuable things? What is the point of having your house burn down but having the contents of the safe (supposedly) intact? If it is no longer intact when you open the safe, already too late, right? Might as well move the items to a remote location like a safe deposit box where there is fire protection (sprinklers etc). You got even a fire extinguisher at home (not to mention sprinkler system)?

Any safe no matter how secure, if movable, is no longer secure. The thief can take his own sweet time to open it after carrying it away. In that case you might as well get a safe the size of a fridge and secure it into the building by building around it. Such requirements are no longer considered "retail" or home safes.

Why bother when you can just get a safe deposit box?

Or are your own requirements just plain fantasy?

Hi Nohnemwan,

The safe is for putting valuables such as watches and cameras (valuable collection, not the typical watches and electronic cameras). I would want to access them frequently, which is why I'm not considering a safe deposit in a bank as the first choice. So I see the safe is a good compromise, giving me easy access and yet as a deterrent against home burglary.

I'm aware that a safe is not 100% foolproof. What is 100% foolproof? A vault in the bank - like the ones DBS discarded in HK with the valuables still within? So if you understand that my intent is to have access and yet deterrent at the same time, having a safe makes sense in the home. Of course, if the house catch fire, then a safe will not protect the contents (probably only paper contents will survive), but it is a better solution than leaving my valuables in open sight and unlocked right now.

I always had this fear that if one were to buy a safe and the guy delivers it to ur home (assume it is those heavy ones) is it not like telling the whole world there might be something valuable in ur house? (presumably cash, jewels etc.)

I am not saying the delivery guy/ppl handling the acct details are bad or anything but when greed comes into the pic anything is possible.

Nohnemwan: bank safes are good but might be a hassle if u have to go down all the way to retrieve something. also the long waiting time to get a bank safe box might put some ppl off.

I think TS is referring to protecting some important certs/documents or even some monetary possessions from fires, theft. Safes are movable but are freaking heavy. So it being a hassle for any fly by night robber he will just give it a miss (hopefully).

Which is precisely why I asked if his requirements are fantasy (asking for Maybach quality but willing to pay Vios price).

You either have convenience or security. They are on opposite ends of the performance scale. If the safe can be delivered, it can be removed, unless in the meantime it was concreted into the building. So, heavy or not, if can move, means can move. Once the safe is gone, whether the safe can be broken into is actually irrelevant. The contents are gone with the safe. If the contents are valuable only to the owner, too bad. If the contents can be re-sold, you can bet the thief will make maximum effort to open the safe, at his own sweet time.

You want real security, get a safe deposit box, and buy insurance for more peace of mind. Hassle so what? You want real protection or not? Most serious insurance companies will not bother with insuring the contents of home safes, or they may cap it with some nominal insulting value like $5000 for such contents.

If you are paranoid that your neighbours / deliveryman / safe company are not to be trusted, then getting a big safe that requires delivery will just expose you, yes?

Neutral Newbie

For anyone else who's interested, I'm looking at perhaps a Chubb safe for their expertise and brand.

http://www.safetec.com.my/Products1-3.htm

They've got a good range, and I'm probably looking at the Custodian Safe range for the mid-range security. According to the website, "the Custodian Safe Range is suitable for the storage of cash and valuables within a medium-risk application. This range is jack-resistant and will also resist most hand tools, oxy torches, force or a combination of the above attacks. The Custodian Safe Range is secured with a UL Class 2 Keyless Combination Lock and a Chubb 6-Lever High-Security Keylock."

I'm sure I'm not the only MCF'er looking for a good safe. There're some who owns some very good watches and wear them in rotation daily. :)

Hi Nohnemwan,

The safe is for putting valuables such as watches and cameras (valuable collection, not the typical watches and electronic cameras). I would want to access them frequently, which is why I'm not considering a safe deposit in a bank as the first choice. So I see the safe is a good compromise, giving me easy access and yet as a deterrent against home burglary.

I'm aware that a safe is not 100% foolproof. What is 100% foolproof? A vault in the bank - like the ones DBS discarded in HK with the valuables still within? So if you understand that my intent is to have access and yet deterrent at the same time, having a safe makes sense in the home. Of course, if the house catch fire, then a safe will not protect the contents (probably only paper contents will survive), but it is a better solution than leaving my valuables in open sight and unlocked right now.

Then you ought to Google "home safe" and look for something serious. And then build it into the floor of your house so it cannot be carried away unless the thief has a concrete breaker. If not, can bring into the house, means can remove from the house.

The case of the HKG DBS screw up is so rare that it should not be taken into account against all the cases of burglaries committed.

You got a better suggestion? All safe deposit boxes have security for them 24/7 already. It might be inconvenient but it is compared to a bus used in public transport. It does get the job done though you share the vehicle with othe passengers.

Banks now desperate for money. Dump some cash into an FD with your favorite local bank. Put in a token 20k or something. Then bargain for a safe deposit box. Of course get a decent sized one for your stuff. Small ones need only 50 odd bucks a year to maintain. Maybe bargain for 2yr fee waive or something.

Don't take my word for it. Safe deposit boxes are also in high demand. I believe there are no more available boxes in main branches downtown. Heartland branches may not have safe deposit boxes.

Expensive watches are not daily watches to be worn in rotation.

Nothing stops a thief not even a safe just as nothing stops a determined car thief.

Thieves come in many forms but recently, they are called maids. Got a friend whose safe was completely removed and the maid got help to remove the contents. Friend didn't know until realize safe is missing.

Neutral Newbie

You got a better suggestion? All safe deposit boxes have security for them 24/7 already. It might be inconvenient but it is compared to a bus used in public transport. It does get the job done though you share the vehicle with othe passengers.

Banks now desperate for money. Dump some cash into an FD with your favorite local bank. Put in a token 20k or something. Then bargain for a safe deposit box. Of course get a decent sized one for your stuff. Small ones need only 50 odd bucks a year to maintain. Maybe bargain for 2yr fee waive or something.

Don't take my word for it. Safe deposit boxes are also in high demand. I believe there are no more available boxes in main branches downtown. Heartland branches may not have safe deposit boxes.

Dun get me wrong...bank safes are indeed the best protection money can get. However, in cases such as that of TS, where the contents of safe are used regularly there is just no sense in putting it in a bank.

BTW there is a long waiting list for bank safe deposit boxes. Not say u want can just get it. [:p]

Can get one. Must show cash and bargain. Bank also eyes see $$$$ only. [flowerface]

Anyway for daily items to be kept at home, have to research. Small puny safe confirm can be taken out. Best is to bolt down to closet or something like hotel ones. Need a lot of banging and hammering to get out. Confirm will arouse suspicion.

↡ Advertisement