• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
148 replies to this topic | 672 praises

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:03 PM

Lufu
  • Premium member
    Lufu
    4th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Going to Beijing for 7 days holiday in June.

what's the best way to get from Airport to City?
Any recommendation for reasonable priced hotel ?
Any shopping / food hunt ?
Do we need Visa to travel to China?

Thanks flowerface.gif

1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:16 PM

Tohto
  • Premium member
    Tohto
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Be careful when you travel from airport to city. There are a lot of illegal taxi operator (no licience). Go to the proper taxi Q will be better. The best is to arrange a airport pick up from hotel if you don't mind extra cost. Try to stay at Wang Fu Jin area (= orchard). It is very centralise with night market and shopping area. For Singapore passport Visa is not require if stay <15 days.

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:34 AM

Davidtkl
  • Davidtkl
    6th Gear
    Author Image

try asking here:

www.travelbug.sg

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:04 AM

Silver_blade
  • Premium member
    Silver_blade
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Wouldn't June coincide with the sand storm season? Could someone confirm this?

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:21 AM

Starengine
  • Starengine
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

give u some tips as local Chinese... flowerface.gif

for good price hotel, try the following two website:

ELong
Ctrip

No need credit card or deposit.
As for airport transport, suggest u to contact the hotel u r interested before u book, ask them to provide pickup service from airport, free of charge if 4 or 5 star hotel.
FYI, in June, not likely to have sand storm. Beijing is quite safe, don't worry.

Edited by Starengine, 07 February 2009 - 11:23 AM.

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:50 AM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Thanks flowerface.gif

It seems like nobody answer your last question. Yes you have to get one at the Chinese embassy before you go for your trip.

If you are going on your own, better to have someone from the hotel to pick you up. Once reach the airport there, when you pick up your luggage tear away the luggage sticker so you won't be targeted by pickpockets or robbers. Cos once ppl see the luggage sticker they know you are from sg. So it's safer to have someone from the hotel to pick you up.

IMO it's safer and better to join tour group. If the tour guide is good you will learn a lot from their historical sites. If you are talking about shopping and food hunt it's better to go Shanghai.

The chosen one will bring balance to the Force...I mean Singapore. Even star wars do not reserve "the chosen one" to a sith lord or a jedi or a wookie.

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:16 PM

Twofouronenite
  • Twofouronenite
    5th Gear
    Author Image

It seems like nobody answer your last question. Yes you have to get one at the Chinese embassy before you go for your trip.

If you are going on your own, better to have someone from the hotel to pick you up. Once reach the airport there, when you pick up your luggage tear away the luggage sticker so you won't be targeted by pickpockets or robbers. Cos once ppl see the luggage sticker they know you are from sg. So it's safer to have someone from the hotel to pick you up.

IMO it's safer and better to join tour group. If the tour guide is good you will learn a lot from their historical sites. If you are talking about shopping and food hunt it's better to go Shanghai.

1st reply oredi reply no need if less than 2 weeks.

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:01 PM

KapitanE
  • KapitanE
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Thanks flowerface.gif

U making a Krisflyer redemption on SQ for Beijing in June?

It is a 50% discount on miles if you make the redemption on SQ800/801, which I am also of thinking of making....

Taxes and surcharge will come to $300 for a 1st class tix, with 30+k miles....good deal....

No signature is required

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:52 PM

Riverfish
  • Riverfish
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Actually the 15-day visa waiver for Singaporeans was reinstated after Olympics. I went on a China trip last Oct without a visa.

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

No need visa if less than 15 days . I just came back from Beijing before CNY.
If you stay at Wang Fu Jin area, the taxi ride from airport to there is around cny 100 ($20). Toll is cny 10
Taxi fare are generally cheap, but if you speak Mandarin would be easier to get around.

The main attraction would be the Forbidden City and of coz the Great Wall.

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:46 PM

Maroon5
  • Maroon5
    Supercharged
    Author Image

bro act the subways are very convenient n cheap (RMB 3)...so if u r going to the main visiting spots i thk transport is not a big issue...
for all pple going to beijing, i always tell them not to miss the great wall...but u going in june, guess u hv to b mentally prepared tat it wil b extra taxing during the great wall climb..

for my trip i stayed at Yue Xiu Hotel at Xuan Wu Men...no complaints...the subway station is just beside my hotel... thumbsup.gif
Enjoy!
Paul Scholes. He scores goals.

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:23 PM

Turtlekar
  • Premium member
    Turtlekar
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Thanks flowerface.gif

Hi bro, i'm also travelling to beijing same time....i will be going on 7/6-13/6....i took up the krisflyer deal as well with my wife....still looking for decent hotel to stay....
Current Ride: 2012 Harley Davidson Sportster 48/ 2013 Mercedes A200/ 2015 Mercedes C180 AMG

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:33 AM

Kianbeng
  • Premium member
    Kianbeng
    6th Gear
    Author Image

U making a Krisflyer redemption on SQ for Beijing in June?

It is a 50% discount on miles if you make the redemption on SQ800/801, which I am also of thinking of making....

Taxes and surcharge will come to $300 for a 1st class tix, with 30+k miles....good deal....

Heehee. Everyone's thinking. I'm thinking of London in May. 35k for return economy though. But my wife can't make it. So sigh!!!!!

Beijing at 30k 1st class return? Oh didn't see that. Thats too cheap?? Normal economy return should already be 40k or so? 1st class shouldn't be 60k only....unless you meant 1 way...? ok will check out website again later.

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:39 AM

Kianbeng
  • Premium member
    Kianbeng
    6th Gear
    Author Image

just checked. can only get 50% off economy saver awards leh. Going to beijing should be 40k for return on economy saver.

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:40 AM

Davidtkl
  • Davidtkl
    6th Gear
    Author Image

how many points did u used?

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:30 AM

Turtlekar
  • Premium member
    Turtlekar
    5th Gear
    Author Image

don't know, my wife did it for me....hahaha
Current Ride: 2012 Harley Davidson Sportster 48/ 2013 Mercedes A200/ 2015 Mercedes C180 AMG

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:28 AM

Lufu
  • Premium member
    Lufu
    4th Gear
    Author Image

No need visa if less than 15 days . I just came back from Beijing before CNY.
If you stay at Wang Fu Jin area, the taxi ride from airport to there is around cny 100 ($20). Toll is cny 10
Taxi fare are generally cheap, but if you speak Mandarin would be easier to get around.

The main attraction would be the Forbidden City and of coz the Great Wall.

Many Thanks to all who repied with tips and tricks.

$20 ride is rather cheap. Any particular taxi company to avoid or only take specific taxi?
I recall in Shanghai, I was told to take only taxis from a major operator and avoid the rest.

I suppose they don't have the high speed train that goes from airport to the city unlike Shanghai.

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:57 AM

Limhm
  • Limhm
    5th Gear
    Author Image

hmmm...IMO, to go China, it's cheaper n safer to join a tour package. I wld recommend CTC. I've been to Beijing n when I see e daily hotel charges, it's v ex. Based on my tour package in Beijing, we had to change hotel everyday for our 8days tour. Hotel transfer wld be a big issue liao.

N during June, it shd be quite hot n a rainy season, if I m not wrong. Rem to bring umbrella.

Edited by Limhm, 10 February 2009 - 04:14 AM.

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:45 AM

Tribeca
  • Tribeca
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Hi Bro,

Best if u get familiar with the yuan, different colour & values.
Was passed a faked 100 yuan.

Food is cheap, travel around in taxis is easier & not ex.
Be prepared for traffic jams & spittings.

Enjoy

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:11 AM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Many Thanks to all who repied with tips and tricks.

$20 ride is rather cheap. Any particular taxi company to avoid or only take specific taxi?
I recall in Shanghai, I was told to take only taxis from a major operator and avoid the rest.

I suppose they don't have the high speed train that goes from airport to the city unlike Shanghai.

Airport buses are available that goes to major downtown areas. I didn't take coz I'm on business trip and carrying a big luggage. Not so convenient and besides, the taxi fare is reasonably cheap.

I'm not sure if you should avoid any taxi companies in Beijing. I always take from the hotel (Grand Hyatt). Some taxis might not be that clean on the inside but I've not had any bad encounters where they try to cheat you....as long as you have a destination in mind. Taxis run on meter, you can ask for receipt for every trip.

In HK, it is quite convenient to take the airport train.

Back to Travel & Road Trips  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: Beijing, Holiday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users