Refund of Insurance and Road Tax?

Pippo20

Neutral Newbie

Hi all

I'm changing a new car, anybody has experience how can I refund the remaining values on the insurance and road tax? Can I also refund my season parking at HDB? Thanks in advance for all your info.

↡ Advertisement

Hi all

I'm changing a new car, anybody has experience how can I refund the remaining values on the insurance and road tax? Can I also refund my season parking at HDB? Thanks in advance for all your info.

Anyway nowadays everything about your car is computerised. Whoever is doing the paperwork for de-registering your old car will do it online. LTA and your insurance coy will know about it and whatever $ will be refunded to you.

As for season parking just print out a copy of your new car's log card and present it at your neighbourhood town council to inform them you had changed your car.

Neutral Newbie

It certainly can be done.

Can just call up or email your insurance informing that the vehicle had been sold on which day and you need a refund of the premiums.

Do note the premiums are on a special pro-rated basis, but at least it's refundable.

Same for HDB parking. Can just visit them or email them requesting a refund.

Either through cheque or direectly to your bank account.

Wanted to check if road tax paid is transferred in the following scenarios:

- Change car number of the same physical car from XXXX to YYYY. If road tax is paid for XXXX, do I need to pay for road tax again when the number is changed to YYYY? if so will i get refund for tax paid under XXXX?

- Transfer of car ownership. When selling the car, is the road tax paid transferred to new owner? ie does the new owner need to pay road tax for the same period that was already paid for by original owner?

LTA enquire transfer fee site says "Road tax, including Over Payment (if any), of a vehicle will follow the vehicle to the new registered owner when its ownership is being transferred."

I checked transfer fees before and after current road tax expiry, both gave same figures inclusive of same road tax amount.

TIA for any answers or directions given. :)

Edited by Leion

Once you pay road tax no refund

my road tax is due soon. wanted to see my car after current road tax expiry date.

Looking at LTA transfer fees enquiry page, it listed the road tax to be paid as transfer fee..

so if i pay the road tax now, during transfer pay road tax again means double road tax paid?

my road tax is due soon. wanted to see my car after current road tax expiry date.

Looking at LTA transfer fees enquiry page, it listed the road tax to be paid as transfer fee..

so if i pay the road tax now, during transfer pay road tax again means double road tax paid?

What you pay for the road tax, its for that car until expiry date. Non transferable. New owner get to enjoy new road tax. They just need to pay transfer fee
  • Praise 1

LTA website is to show you how much road tax you are losing when you transfer. Most sellers add it into the price of the car instead of calculating separately.

What you pay for the road tax, its for that car until expiry date. Non transferable. New owner get to enjoy new road tax. They just need to pay transfer fee

i dun care i want ti CLAIM the PETROL IN TANK too......haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

i want claim ALLLLL i can....

• Praise 1

I also got new car ytd. So I should get back refund for my insurance and not for road tax right?

Yes. Normally gone w the car

Small issue normally if u think the up n Down of coe

Insurance can take back

depends on which insurer, some can claim back, some cannot if balance left $X, some got penalty for termination. Depends whether you are on mainstream insurer or budget insurer.

Road tax, just treat it as free gift to new owner. 

I also got new car ytd. So I should get back refund for my insurance and not for road tax right?

If your car is near scrap, most distributors will pay you just the paper value and say your car will be sent to the scrapyard. In this case, you should be able to claim back your road tax, unless the Distributor is putting on a fast one that your car will be scrapped. 

depends on which insurer, some can claim back, some cannot if balance left $X, some got penalty for termination. Depends whether you are on mainstream insurer or budget insurer.

Road tax, just treat it as free gift to new owner.

Yes some insurance co left 3 months cannot refund
↡ Advertisement