Singapore to join anti-piracy efforts in Gulf of Aden

Sleepyman

Wah...this is a good chance for SAF to fire at REAL target and get REAL experience.

Will be interesting, as the pirates will not follow Geneva COnvention or Fighting rules, this is a real test of SAF skills and capabilities!

GO GO GO SAF!

SAF has been involved in real conflicts many times alrdy. Tis is not the first and will not be the last. Not too long ago, one of our planes got an iraqi missile fired @ it and managed to decoy the missile off.

I personally applaud the decision by the Govt to send our naval ships out there.

You just do not know how much difficulty this is causing the shipping community....

At least we r doing something useful woth those assets than letting them sit around. [thumbsup]

The Navy for longest time have been involved with real situations rather then exercise, exercise and more exercise like the army.....

During late 70s, you have the Vietnamese boat people floating around, the Navy was out there, I was there too....

The the early 80s, you have a surge of pirates from our southern neighbours, the Navy was out there patrolling the Singapore Straits, stopping suspicious boats,... I was there too.....

There were the Search and Rescue missions, where the Navy were searching for survivors from sunken boats, .... I was there......

Damned.... I am old....

Neutral Newbie

How come they send landing ship tank instead of the new frigate. The latter more garang and can show the rest of the world on our latest capability... Thought the other warships sent by other countries are mostly combat vessels like frigates or destroyers... wonder if the LST can catch up with the speed of the pirates' turbo-jet speedboats.

wow.. [thumbsup] did u encounter any shootout with pirates for real??

No shoot out... stop a boat.... I was front man questioning the boat men... with my ships mates behind me, rifles cocked, safety catch off, ready to fire...

How come they send landing ship tank instead of the new frigate. The latter more garang and can show the rest of the world on our latest capability... Thought the other warships sent by other countries are mostly combat vessels like frigates or destroyers... wonder if the LST can catch up with the speed of the pirates' turbo-jet speedboats.

The LST are equipped with two choppers, which will be more effective.... guess there would be other fast small crafts that can be launched from the LST for the chase if need be.....

By S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 12 February 2009 1322 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singapore will be joining the international community with its anti-piracy efforts in the Gulf of Aden.

Defence Minister Teo Chee Hean told Parliament on Thursday that Singapore will be deploying a Landing Ship Tank, with two Super Puma helicopters for a period of three months this year.

The ship will work with the newly-formed multi-national Combined Task Force 151 to protect shipping in the Gulf of Aden.

The LST will be deployed once the operational arrangements have been made.

Minister Teo explained that Singapore's involvement is because as a maritime nation, the country shares the concerns of the international community regarding piracy.

It is also committed to supporting international efforts to keep the sea lanes safe and secure.

He stressed that it is not possible for any country, including Singapore, to protect its own shipping in all the key sea lanes of the world.

Hence all countries have to depend on international cooperation to secure the sea lanes for everyone's use and that means littoral states, user states, and the international community have a role to play.

Minister Teo said there was an upsurge of piracy attacks recently in the Gulf of Aden.

In the past year, over 100 ships have been attacked by pirates, who have raked in an estimated ransom of US$120 million.

And in recent months, NATO, the European Union, the US, as well as countries such as China, India, Malaysia and Russia, have contributed to anti-piracy efforts in the Gulf of Aden.

Other countries, including Japan and Turkey, have announced their intention to send naval vessels.

Should have sent together with our submarines there for live target practices ......... [sly][sly]

They use the LST as a floating platform for logistics & command purposes. Not to pursue pirates.

Should have sent together with our submarines there for live target practices ......... [sly][sly]

Well, I hope the Navies of the world now stationed at the Gulf of Aden will shoot on sight, rather then to stick to their rules of engagement.

Last November, when I heard and read the news about the Indian Navy opening fire, ................

No shoot out... stop a boat.... I was front man questioning the boat men... with my ships mates behind me, rifles cocked, safety catch off, ready to fire...

U r from the NDU's SWG ?[thumbsup]

During my NS days, we also go arnd chasing suspicious boats that intrude into our waters with full mags of 30 rounds and level3 body armour [sweatdrop]

Neutral Newbie

Well, I hope the Navies of the world now stationed at the Gulf of Aden will shoot on sight, rather then to stick to their rules of engagement.

Last November, when I heard and read the news about the Indian Navy opening fire, ................

So far the international navies are there more for deterrence purpose, rather than to actively flush out the pirates and battle out with them. Dunno if this the right strategy... the pirates have probbaly gioe into hiding since the warships arrive and will probably re-emerge when the tour of duty ends.

SAF has been involved in real conflicts many times alrdy. Tis is not the first and will not be the last. Not too long ago, one of our planes got an iraqi missile fired @ it and managed to decoy the missile off.

Iraqi missle? Fire by mistake?

Thought we there to help them?

KC135? SP?

[confused] [confused] [confused]

Iraqi missle? Fire by mistake?

Thought we there to help them?

KC135? SP?

[confused] [confused] [confused]

Its our C-130 that kena fired. It was on the Straits times.

↡ Advertisement