Malaysia : Sutera Mall - The next one to go at Johor Bahru

Kelpie

Hi Carnut, any advice on buying property in JB? Any restrictions for foreigners for any areas/financing etc?

Thanks in advance!

Gated and guarded is a must. Foreigners can buy so long as the property is valued above RM250k, you have to pay RM10k for State's consent,

margin of finance is usually capped at 80% of purchase price. Another thing, to buy only completed units/development but if you have no choice, buy from

the more reputable developer - even that is no guarantee, so better avoid those development that exist in blue print only.

Edited by Carnut

Neutral Newbie

for those who are thinking of going sutera mall, be extremely careful at the main road .. when u see red light with no other cars except one or two, just cheong. never stop at red light with little cars around. there are at least 10+ cases of car-jacking along that stretch of road.

Bought half a year ago at RM230K under wifey name (Malaysian) for the 2 storey Terrace house at Setia Indah. Area is being fence up with guard. Singapore cannot afford then only can go JB buy lor.

coming from the causeway.. is this mall further or nearer than the existing carrefour? [confused]

Erm..should be slightly further away. About the same distance to Jusco TC from Causeway, personal perception. I didn't switch on my GPS because it is easy to locate that place.

In fact, Sutera Mall is pretty near to Jusco Bukit Indah. In between them, you should see BestMart too. From Sutera Mall can also go to Jusco TC.

Regards,

Erm..should be slightly further away. About the same distance to Jusco TC from Causeway, personal perception. I didn't switch on my GPS because it is easy to locate that place.

In fact, Sutera Mall is pretty near to Jusco Bukit Indah. In between them, you should see BestMart too. From Sutera Mall can also go to Jusco TC.

Regards,

checked using my gps it's few km further than jusco TC

checked using my gps it's few km further than jusco TC

KM may be further, but does you GPS shows that it's faster to get to Sutera than to Tebrau? From causeway.

KM may be further, but does you GPS shows that it's faster to get to Sutera than to Tebrau? From causeway.

i dont think gps will show this right.

(edited)

i dont think gps will show this right.

GPS shows estimated time of arrival once I enter the destination I want to go. I tried using Garmin and Malsingmaps, Sutera is 2km further than TC from CIQ, and takes about 2 mins longer to reach.

Edited by Sgnick

Turbocharged

GPS shows estimated time of arrival once I enter the destination I want to go. I tried using Garmin and Malsingmaps, Sutera is 2km further than TC from CIQ, and takes about 2 mins longer to reach.

dont think the timing is accurate. think it depends on road conditions, travel speed, etc

Some of the popular Food and Beverage Outlets at Sutera Mall Commercial Centre, just a stone throw from Sutera Mall:

1. Bamboo Restaurant

2. Goh Zha Lang Porridge Restaurant

3. Ming Hub Restaurant

4. Zen Thai Cafe

5. Axtivo Cafe

6. Hikage Japanese a La Carte Buffet

7. Hwa Nui Restaurant

8. Ah Hong Koptiam

9. Tea Garden Eating House

10. Restaurant Pontian

11. Senwell Vegetarian Restaurant

12. Restaurant Sutera Bak kut Teh

13. Pure Fruit Bar

I will try them out one by one. Today visited the Ming Hub and I like it.

Actually, IMHO, Sutera Mall doesn't have a strong number of restaurants in there. It is a let down given its large size.

Regards,

Hi,

i usually go in early for breakfast. Do you know if any of these opens early (8-9am) for the breakfast crowd?

Neutral Newbie

Some of the popular Food and Beverage Outlets at Sutera Mall Commercial Centre, just a stone throw from Sutera Mall:

1. Bamboo Restaurant: Famous for its 纸包鸡 "Zhi BAO JI" aka begger chicken... But to those who don't like salty food, this dish might not be an interest to them. Will recommend to give a try as there lots more dishes that might suit your appetite well..

2. Goh Zha Lang Porridge Restaurant: Typical teochew porridge style. Nv try before but know it had quite a few franchises. Hear from other comments its quite expensive.

3. Ming Hub Restaurant: Chinese Ramen noodles. So-So but still can try it... definitely better than your nowadays foodcourt Zhong hua Ramen and its not run by ah tiongs.

4. Zen Thai Cafe: Nv try before.

5. Axtivo Cafe: Nv try before

6. Hikage Japanese a La Carte Buffet: lunch ard RM$35++ (can't remember their dinner buffet). Their buffet varities not bad and portion serving also just nice.. So at least you can try all the dish throughout... Will recommend to give a try.

7. Hwa Nui Restaurant: This one must try...Old signature coffee shop... Their TEA not bad... Recommended dishes such as Curry chicken rice (Will sell out fast), hwa Mei hainan chicken chop.

8. Ah Hong Koptiam: Forget it... Lousy, portion small, expensive.

9. Tea Garden Eating House: This one must try... For coffee lovers, you will sure like it.. Better than old white town coffee... Their menus also look nice.

10. Restaurant Pontian: Nv try before

11. Senwell Vegetarian Restaurant: Nv try before

12. Restaurant Sutera Bak kut Teh: Nv try before

13. Pure Fruit Bar: Nv try before

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

i usually go in early for breakfast. Do you know if any of these opens early (8-9am) for the breakfast crowd?

Hwa Nui and Tea garden..

(edited)

Thanks. I was there for the first time yesterday morning. Reached about 915am. Found a coffeeshop with many locals having their breakfast. In this coffeeshop there are stalls selling Chicken Rice, Bak Chor Mee, Wan Tan Mee, Fish Noodles, Fried Kway Teow, etc, RM3.50 - RM4.50. Wantan mee so so, could be better. Seafood soup noodle not bad.

Sutera Bak kut Teh surprisingly opens only 10am. Most bak kut teh stalls closer to the city opens very early for breakfast and is packed in morning.

I am glad the shops in Sutera Mall is not like Jusco Tebrau. Mostly local shops, not those expensive international brands like Singapore malls or TC. And best they sell friendly DVDs openly, something I can't get in TC.

It'll be perfect if there is a cinema.

Edited by Sgnick

Neutral Newbie

Not really as big as someone mention can spend half a day there. I went there and spend lass than an hour shopping and drove off. Nothing much!!! maybe this place is more for food.

↡ Advertisement