Spoilt for choice.

Following factors to consider:

(1) Exterior

(2) Interior

(3) Pricing

(4) Horsepower

(5) PML package vs C&C package

(6) High Overtrade?

Frankly speaking, I prefer BMW. But in terms of the above criteria, I felt that MB has the slight edge above BMW.

Another BIG headache..... Buy from AD or buy from PI?????

Bros/sis,

please kindly advise..

↡ Advertisement

Giving me headache..

Spoilt for choice.

(1) Exterior

(2) Interior

(3) Pricing

(4) Horsepower

(6) High Overtrade?

Frankly speaking, I prefer BMW. But in terms of the above criteria, I felt that MB has the slight edge above BMW.

Bros/sis,

please kindly advise..

Without a doubt, it is the C200. If you can afford and wait for the new E class, then it is definately a better buy than 5 series... I think gonna I am gonna get [bounce1] by those BMW lovers liao....... [lipsrsealed]

(edited)

c200 184bhp/250Nm bhp/torque (engine performance) beats 320i 156bhp/200Nm hands down. not a fair comparison.

IMHO, the comparison should be

c180 vs 320

c200 vs 323

c230 vs 325

it was an easy decision for me

1. budget -> $3K-$5K range difference (shortlist bmw/merc/audi models for comparison -> NETT price not the brochure listed price)

2. look & design -> i believe you like both 3-series and c-class. you can't get a perfect combination like 3-series front/exterior + c-class rear/interior :D

3. performance (bhp/torque) 4pot/6pot & NA/Supercharge/Turbocharge

if point 3 is your highest priorty, it would be even easier

Giving me headache..

Spoilt for choice.

(1) Exterior

(2) Interior

(3) Pricing

(4) Horsepower

(6) High Overtrade?

Bros/sis,

please kindly advise..

Edited by Wt_know

(1) Exterior

(2) Interior

(3) Pricing

(4) Horsepower

(6) High Overtrade?

as mentioned, i think the 320i is really much cheaper than the C200. a proper comparison is with the C180

exterior - hmm, i think the facelifted 3 series is nice but the C class has a more evergreen and avant garde design. 3 series will be redesigned earlier.

interior - without a doubt the C180/C200 has nicer interior as the 320i doesnt even come with iDrive, only a very spartan outdated cabin.

Pricing - 320i is bread and butter for bmw, now under attack by C class and Audi. i have heard of really low prices for the 320i but merc will hold fast to their prices. C180 a cheaper buy than the C200 by a lot though. i dont think u need the memory seats or twin exhaust.

horsepower : both are adequately powered for singapore roads. The C180 comes with old 5 speed gearbox though and the 320i has a sweet ZF 6 speeder. BMW wins here imho. C180 sounds really gruff when pushed into high revs.

PML package vs C and C. To be honest, bmw 3 series is known for good handling, nice engine but horrible electronics.

many 3 series owners are irritated by many niggles that plague their cars. the car is good but it is not built to last.

the C class however marks a return to the old teutonic durability of their old W124 E class like build quality.

Things in the merc seem more expensive and better made. Aftersales care for merc is slightl better i think. while there is warranty, it might be be prudent to get a AD car for peace of mind

overtrade package - a high overtrade is of course a strong gimmick to make u give up your old set of wheels. i think merc gives a better overtrade but do note their cars are more marked up too....so it all equals out. [lipsrsealed]

hope this helps...my 2 cents......this is a difficult but fun predicament to be in.....

if money is not an issue, C200. it cost at least 15k more.

if budget constraints, then 320.

this is seriously my stand if i ever were in this wonderful dillemma... [flowerface]

Honestly,

Scrutinize the rear of BMW 3 series (sedan), don't u feel that its FUGLY? it seems like there's no effort to design sleek rear lights. Compare with the IS250, or the Audi A4 or the C200.

Now, look at BMW3 (coupe), see how beautiful it is.

personally for me, i'll never consider 3 series (sedan) becos of that.

My point is.... C200 for me ANYTIME. (i really can't fault the design)

I went on a test driving spree 3 weeks ago. tested C180, C200, C230, 320i, 323i. have all the pricing for all the cars, overtrade, etc....

was seriously considering all either one of them until i was brought down to earth of my car's value.... anyway, here's my take... pricing is nett nett,,.. but still negotiable, especially with PML.

Sorting order in terms of pricing

320i basic - $110,000 (still can negotiate)

320i professional - $117,000 (still can negotiate)

Handling is good, as expected, not too uncomfortable... ride is still ok, but firm. steering is too heavy, turning radius too big (compared to W204 or even Mondeo). Engine.... i dont like the sound.... gearbox good and responsive in steptronic mode. Prof comes with xenon, but only 16" rims,... upgrage to 17" cost $5k. Basic model is very basic, not worth considering. Runflat tyres is a big turn off for me. Pedal spacing is good for left foot braking. Rear seats are uncomfortable.

C180 - $120,000 (can still negotiate a bit)

Has everything the 320i prof has, except xenon... but standard 17" rims. OMV lower than 320i prof.

Horsepower maybe the same 156PS as 320i, but torque is 230Nm compared to 320i's 200Nm.... but its heavier... so performance wise, not much difference. 5 speed gearbox naturally cannot compare with 320's 6 speed,... but its sufficient. overall, i prefer the space and design of the C, pedal spacing does not allow left foot braking. seats are generally more comfortable than 3.

C200 - $133,000 (can still negotiate a bit)

Everything the same as C180 with 4 items more - memory seats, parktronics (C180 comes with locally fitted reverse sensor), and powered steering column adjustment (C180's is manual), and exhaust pipe has chrome tip. 184PS and 250Nm.... its marginally more powerful than C180.... in comfort mode,... dont feel much difference. But in Sport mode, the difference can be felt. Other than that, its the same as C180. For the extra $13k, i'd get the C180 and pay $8k for AMG kits (comes with 3 spoke steering wheel with pedal shifters, chrome pedal, body kits and 17" AMG rims), and still save $5k.

323i - $143,000 (i think can still negotiate)

Almost exactly the same as 320i professional.... also comes with only 16" rims. Engine wise, this is the smoothest of all (even compared to C230). Power delivery is fantastic (i can imagine how the 325i will feel). Exhaust note lovely. But i still dont like the unnecessarily heavy steering and large turning radius. But it does feel like driving an F1 car. :)

C230 - $153,000 (probably can negotiate somemore as take up rate is low)

Different from C200/180, is the 7Gtronic gearbox and pedal shifter on the steering (not even a cost option on the BMW). I love this 7Gtronics. Super smooth. its V6 2.5 though cannot be compared with bmw's inline 6 .... its smooth, but its different. Somewhat muted and not as exciting to drive. Maybe this is Merc's trait. The rest is the same as above.

Bottom line - if money is no object, below will be my order of preference,

1. C230

2. 323i

3. C200 with AMG kits

4. C200

5. C180 with AMG kits

6. C180

7. 320i professional

will not consider the 320i basic at all.

(edited)

good analysis [thumbsup]

teriyaki .... miles's analysis will help you to make your decision a lot easier

AMG package is WORTH to consider even though it costs $8K as all parts are factory fitted, tested and it perfects the car

and i don't think AMG package is sold "separately" as there is no "qualify" technicians to fit the package except factory fitted

Edited by Wt_know

(edited)

oh yes,... AMG package comes factory fitted.... with sports suspension as well... but it could be too stiff.... the only downside.

another thing to consider,

320/323 are made in South Africa

C class are made in Stuttgart.

Edited by Miles

Neutral Newbie

disliked the previous gen of c-class n e-class, even the s-class, cos they gave the "ah pek" impression.

however, with the intro of the new e, s and now the c, i love their design. they hv reli looked into the needs of the younger generations, more modern, sportier looks.

i will go for c180 over 320, c200 over 323 n even c230 over 325.

cars r not cheap, get from AD, can sleep peacefully at nite, cos all PI cars r pre-registered n de-registered b4 being brought into SG.

i m a comfort-biased person, so will go for the merc, unless u like basic raw driving feel, else a merc will b comfortable in bringing u to your destination. moreover, in SG, how fast can u drive or how fast a corner can u throw your car into? there r many lousy road hogging drivers who jus love to drive at 80 along the right lane of expressways, so how?

actually, the final decision is yours.

for me, jus get the lexus is250, it has the comfort, low price, 6-speed, 205bhp, lexus smooth, lexus quiet, and i m enjoying the is250 every minute every second :)

cheers

[drivingcar]

i have always been a BMW person

320 gets my vote

my complaint is that 320 is the lowest in the 3xx range and has the worst interior, cheap leather and fking ugly dashboard layout.

it is the car for brand-whores

the 4IL is ... haiz... tonnes of kilobytes had been devoted to this subject so i wont start WW 3 again.

but the chassis is strong, firm and the footing is pliant and surefooted.

go for 325 if $$ permits.

C200 is still the same shameful 1.8L blow-job ... packaged in a more attractive exterior and gimmicky interior with a radio that sucks.

leather is not as shameful as 320 but for the same price, i rather throw it at a Legacy GT with enough moolah left to make it into Porsche_creaming_machine

the C230 V6 is creamy smooth and provides a balanced drive with good weight balance for B roads and excellent power_to_weight ratio for that N/S highway overtaking.

btw... for the benefit of everyone

i just exported my LGT and got myself 2 COE cars instead.

a W124 E200 16 V, a E39 520 2L

currently in negotiation for a W124 300CE or a E32 730 ... wish me luck !!

cars are damn cheap now !! 1 car can buy 3 cars !!

Your price of $120000 for the C180 is after the 10% financial booster. Without it, the list price of the the C180 is $136888.

↡ Advertisement