320i vs C200. Which is a better buy?

Teriyaki

(edited)

Mazda/Volvo/Ford - all under PAG group (used to also include Jaguar, but no more) .... their weakest link is their engine. Ford/Mazda has one of the best expertise in chassis development... and Volvo, comfort and safety.... so their strength (of all these 3 marques) are chassis, suspension, safety and comfort. But sadly, their R&D in engine lags far behind the Germans (and even the japs like Toyota, Honda and Nissan).

Their auto gearbox also was their achilles heel,... but with the introduction of dual clutch Powershift (soon will be mated to Mazda and Ford petrol models as well) ,... they are catching up. But i still dont see any winner in their engine (Renesis on RX8 dont count as they are only for RX8).

VAG has their FSI

BMW has their IL6

Merc has their madness 6.3L AMG.... and their aerodynamics development is the best in the market... all their cars boast low drag coefficient (Cd) .. from A class to S class... Cd are all below 0.30 ... with new W212 E class' Cd at class leading 0.25, W204 C class Cd 0.27, W169 A class Cd 0.29.... etc.

Porsche has their H6

Toyota/Lexus ... their VVTi

Honda, their famous iVTEC

Nissan, their V6 3.5/3.7

So, you notice those marques without a good engine generally dont sell well....

errr... technically ... AMG engine doesnt count as a MB engine

just like you wont consider a Nismo engine as Nissan manufactured nor a Ralliart tuned to be bread-&-butter Mitsu

i am never a fan of MB engines (although i am a owner of 1)

i like them for their tankiness

but i do like volvo chassis also.

firm, pilant and sure footed

Edited by Comnao
↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

why not?

MB owns AMG.

(edited)

just like you wont consider a Nismo engine as Nissan manufactured nor a Ralliart tuned to be bread-&-butter Mitsu

Isn't it Nismo = Nissan Motorsport International Limited part of Nissan?

Isn't it Ralliart part of Mitsubishi?

[bounce1] Engine from ///M GMBH doesn't count as BMW engine

Engine from Quattro GMBH doesn't count as Audi engine [bounce1]

Edited by Davidtch

why not?

MB owns AMG.

bcos i still associate amg as a specialty tuning arm

not a bread-and-butter engine manfuacturer

(edited)

teriyaki,

did you book your car and get the $7K COE [thumbsup]

i think all AD will make all kind of excuses to up their price AGAIN !

Edited by Wt_know

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

3 series except coupe are from SA.

And yes, I'm considering 1st hand.. Coz very likely I will be driving till COE expire. hahahaha..

I'm already spoilt for choices.. Now u introduced me Audi?? Oops... [sweatdrop]

audi has yet to reach the level of what bmw and mercedes car can offer (if we compare all the base model from each brand).

personally i tested audi a6 - it feel almost like a japanese car. (even the feel of volvo is better)

i am not an expert in giving review, but from an user point of view - importanly is the 'feel' - i just do not experience the 'conti feel' presence in audi. plus audi engine is noisy (the hyundai avante or sonata is probaly quieter)

therefore no need look any further - u can safely target between bmw and mercedes.

Edited by Santa

audi has yet to reach the level of what bmw and mercedes car can offer (if we compare all the base model from each brand).

personally i tested audi a6 - it feel almost like a japanese car. (even the feel of volvo is better)

i am not an expert in giving review, but from an user point of view - importanly is the 'feel' - i just do not experience the 'conti feel' presence in audi. plus audi engine is noisy (the hyundai avante or sonata is probaly quieter)

therefore no need look any further - u can safely target between bmw and mercedes.

Which part feels like a Japanese Car?

Audi's Interior beats both BMWs n MBs hands down, No Fight!

Agree.... Audi feels conti enough lah.

Audi make and build quality is definitely premium conti standard but entry level vs entry level, Audi interior is one of the most dated looking, Saab also.

Volvo is the most designer looking . part of the reason why i was one of those who bot the all new S40 in 2004. very stylish modern clean interior

Neutral Newbie

'drive feel' of audi (feel like japanese car espcially the steering wheel and suspension)

the engine note is not sweet as bmw nor as quiet as volvo or lexus

when taking corner does not instill the confidence that bmw offer.

interior quality might be good as most claim but look spartan. lack the luxurious feel of a mb.

so for the price of 165k on an A6 believed there are better choices. unless u are a die hard audi fans.

Test drove new A4 before during downpour. Dont feel what it should be. Car just not stable and the ESD(i suppose) everytime kick in.

Then test drove the new C200. Ran over a patch of water and the car feel extremely stable. Now thats the difference.

Although A4 sport mode feel quite powerful, for that kind of price tag, i rather pay for high spec japanese sedan. Even the SE in Audi also nothing to say after seeing how i test drove the new A4.

And serious, i think Audi Interior is not up to the mark, exterior is very good of course. But then, it is up to individual.

Audi make and build quality is definitely premium conti standard but entry level vs entry level, Audi interior is one of the most dated looking, Saab also.

Volvo is the most designer looking . part of the reason why i was one of those who bot the all new S40 in 2004. very stylish modern clean interior

i'm a bit lost... u referring to the current Audi or in 2004?

current ones, i find the interior better, at least does feel so zen like a 3 series... [:p]

Neutral Newbie

teriyaki,

did you book your car and get the $7K COE [thumbsup]

i think all AD will make all kind of excuses to up their price AGAIN !

nope.. i may not want to get 320i anymore. The interior simply cannot make it. If time permits, I will go test drive C180 this weekend... And yes.. COE quota reduced 24%, now COE increased by 50%!!!

But economy will not pick up within the next 1 year... Dont think COE will go up above $10k...

Neutral Newbie

TS mentioned before he dun wanna pay the high road tax... [wave]

hahaha.. thanks for highlighting this..

↡ Advertisement