Spring stiffener

Santa

You need to have both of them on the same height level. The spring itself it already factory aligned and compensated for weight difference for passenger and driver side. The stiffener might be to too near to the arch and it rubbing against the body, you should position the stiffener middle of the spring.

Edited by Tazstar88
↡ Advertisement

oh yea...

can i just check how does the workshops normally install the stiffeners?

do they need to take out the tyres and install?

mine didn't... just jack up the car do the 2 behinds and the the driver side

and then jack up the other side and do passenger side..

If the stiffener size is correct, the spring will sit on it perfectly without the need for the cable tie. Some workshop use the cable tie to secure the stiffener just to be safe. Since you mentioned cable tie, could it be the cable tie rubbing against the spring and the inner wheel arch that caused the "tok Tok" sound? You need to find those workshop that can jack up the whole car and this will make it easy to install and adjust all 4 stiffeners without the need of removing the wheels. Normally they don't need to remove wheel to install, just spray WD40 on the stiffener and it can easily slide the stiffener on to the spring. As for Workshop, it best that you go to your regular trusted one.

Edited by Tazstar88

alright... thank you again for your reply :)

guess i have to make a trip to a workshop to rectify this soon.

don't think will go down jb just for this liao...

you're a lifesaver!! thanks! haha

Most Workshops have various sizes to fit different springs but it needs a good mechanic to really knows the right size and the right technique to install the stiffener. You can go to those big car aftermarket accessories shops and ask around.

Most/all manufacturers design cars with suspension having a body roll like early alert against flipping over too easily. Out of ignorance, some people would prefer to eliminate such safety features thinking that the car feel more stable/safer without this early danger alert. They indeed pay for more danger

Example: the driver suddenly lost control of the car, among the symptoms

someone told me the spring stiffener will slowly adjust and sit in properly no need to go and adjust again... is that true?

here is the pic of my stiffeners.. can see 1 is 1 1/2 coil and 1 is 1 coil..

The stiffener on right

img00182201012082225.jpg

Stiffener on passenger side

img00183201012082226.jpg

I am more concern for your safety. If you have accident with it, who knows if you need to replace them, if you still around

no worries, their effects r not dat fantastic, oni prevented slight more on botoming out esp wen gg over humps.

dat's no miracle suspension enhancer u know, wat we expect from a mod costing < 150.

someone told me the spring stiffener will slowly adjust and sit in properly no need to go and adjust again... is that true?

here is the pic of my stiffeners.. can see 1 is 1 1/2 coil and 1 is 1 coil..

The stiffener on right

http://img219.imageshack.us/i/img00182201012082225.jpg/

Stiffener on passenger side

http://img835.imageshack.us/i/img00183201012082226.jpg/

generally it's about dat position; 1 pitch away fr top n 1 pitch awa fr bottom. d stiffeners r oso well seated n secured fr d photo; probably u not shiok cos they oriented differently. see if u can jackup one side of ur car n slide them to ur preferred position.

oni i dunno i they cut too much of stiffener, cos i think the two ends should meet near to touchin ea other fo max effect, but it might b negligible though.

Edited by Fuelsaver

thanks all for the reply...

I guess I will drive down to the WS again this week to ask them to jack up and adjust for me since I need to go in to buy something and might as well pump petrol.. hehe

so far, yesterday drove with full load... can feel suspension much firmer esp when going pass humps :)

After yesterday's trip to get WS to adjust:(driver side)

Before:

img00182201012082225.jpg

After:

img00193201012161825.jpg

Passenger side after adjust:

Before:

img00183201012082226.jpg

After:

img00194201012161825.jpg

Verdict: the creaking sound seems to disappear...

Just curious from the pictures, looks like my coils 'cracked' or busted near the bottom. any bros can advise if this is normal? Thanks :)

omg. I cannot believe what people are doing to their cars.. Remove those things immediately!

What you're doing is adding massive bump stops with unknown rates or characteristics to the car, which can have a serious effect on safety.

One day, you will need to swerve or enter a corner at a higher than normal speed. When that happens, your car will roll at a certain rate depending on your springs, till it hits this bump stop and suddenly your spring rate changes. Your tires are still loading up gradually and suddenly they encounter this massive weight over them, which causes their grip to reduce significantly. Not to mention your stock dampers at that time are certainly not working. Driving is all about feedback and if the driver encounters a sudden change in handling characteristic... the outcome is not very good. This is worse in wet weather.

If you want to carry alot of load, remove your shocks and springs and bolt in a 3in steel rod. No more sag. [:)]

If your car is stock, don't worry about bottoming out (by bottoming out, we mean the shocks, not the car body on the hump).. it shouldn't happen unless it's a poorly designed copy. If the car scrapes on the humps, tell the passengers to get out, or go over slowly. I believe the car is more well though of during design than the hump. Don't sacrifice your safety and 5 digit car for the sake of a lump of tar and bitumen.

isn't 3in steel rod doing more harm???

dat rubber doesn't perform miracles other than giving the very slight feel of so-called firmer suspension effect..

↡ Advertisement