Spring stiffener

Santa

:D was being sarcastic.

oh wells. I don't think the makers of this or the owners who install this, have any real idea on what they are doing. [:(]

↡ Advertisement

:D was being sarcastic.

oh wells. I don't think the makers of this or the owners who install this, have any real idea on what they are doing. [:(]

me included? care to explain ur ground? or was it like wat mentioned by good carbuyer?

actually i cant b bothered wat others think; just hope to make my stock suspension last longer, esp i carry ppl at back of car.

omg. I cannot believe what people are doing to their cars.. Remove those things immediately!

What you're doing is adding massive bump stops with unknown rates or characteristics to the car, which can have a serious effect on safety.

One day, you will need to swerve or enter a corner at a higher than normal speed. When that happens, your car will roll at a certain rate depending on your springs, till it hits this bump stop and suddenly your spring rate changes. Your tires are still loading up gradually and suddenly they encounter this massive weight over them, which causes their grip to reduce significantly. Not to mention your stock dampers at that time are certainly not working. Driving is all about feedback and if the driver encounters a sudden change in handling characteristic... the outcome is not very good. This is worse in wet weather.

If you want to carry alot of load, remove your shocks and springs and bolt in a 3in steel rod. No more sag. [:)]

If your car is stock, don't worry about bottoming out (by bottoming out, we mean the shocks, not the car body on the hump).. it shouldn't happen unless it's a poorly designed copy. If the car scrapes on the humps, tell the passengers to get out, or go over slowly. I believe the car is more well though of during design than the hump. Don't sacrifice your safety and 5 digit car for the sake of a lump of tar and bitumen.

Happy New Year to you bro!

First time see you so serious..... [:p]

me included? care to explain ur ground? or was it like wat mentioned by good carbuyer?

actually i cant b bothered wat others think; just hope to make my stock suspension last longer, esp i carry ppl at back of car.

mm.. i've already explained my grounds. To summarize, it's not wise placing things in between the coils of the spring as it limits their movement. You feel comfy and stiff at the same time because you're not using the full stroke of the suspension yet and it hasn't got a chance to hit the full bump stop at a quick rate. When one day you have to, it might fail you. Stiffer springs are stiff because of the dia of wire (and length, material, no. of coils), at least there is nothing in between the coils and they move freely. It's a bit different from Good Carbuyer's version although he does have your interests at heart also.

Make it last longer.. i don't know. probably so because it keeps the susp from working properly and achieving its full life cycle. :D

btw it's not what I think.. it's a fact.

Happy New Year to you bro!

First time see you so serious..... [:p]

Happy New Year 2011 ^_^

haha.. maybe not used to the tuning scene in sg. [rolleyes]

mm.. i've already explained my grounds. To summarize, it's not wise placing things in between the coils of the spring as it limits their movement. You feel comfy and stiff at the same time because you're not using the full stroke of the suspension yet and it hasn't got a chance to hit the full bump stop at a quick rate. When one day you have to, it might fail you. Stiffer springs are stiff because of the dia of wire (and length, material, no. of coils), at least there is nothing in between the coils and they move freely. It's a bit different from Good Carbuyer's version although he does have your interests at heart also.

Make it last longer.. i don't know. probably so because it keeps the susp from working properly and achieving its full life cycle. :D

btw it's not what I think.. it's a fact.

Happy New Year 2011 ^_^

haha.. maybe not used to the tuning scene in sg. [rolleyes]

thx. any readin / ref mat'l to know more? thx again.

thx. any readin / ref mat'l to know more? thx again.

um, i don't know actually. its more of just common sense in a way. If you look at a coil spring, the gaps in between the springs have a purpose, which is to accomodate and allow the spring to twist and compress. The spring inside your pen would be a good example. once you compress until there's no more gap, that's the limit and from then on the springs will act as a solid piece where the stiffness goes up sky high.

This is only the functional part, there's the spring rate part, and the handing associated with a change in that as well.

when i searched spring stiffner, the results that came out were mostly from SG forums or m'sia. [shakehead]

um, i don't know actually. its more of just common sense in a way. If you look at a coil spring, the gaps in between the springs have a purpose, which is to accomodate and allow the spring to twist and compress. The spring inside your pen would be a good example. once you compress until there's no more gap, that's the limit and from then on the springs will act as a solid piece where the stiffness goes up sky high.

This is only the functional part, there's the spring rate part, and the handing associated with a change in that as well.

when i searched spring stiffner, the results that came out were mostly from SG forums or m'sia. [shakehead]

guess common sense may not b common for some.. but i seriously dont think these rubbers r gonna make a significant diff..

still, even tho i dont believe the claims of such rubbers, i oso dont believe they r so fantastic to cause, or even raise, the danger level to suspensions - the rubber can be compressed using both my hands.

It is true that it does not add anything to the original source, because it would affect the reaction in the car brake and safety management at the same time. I think the most important, it provides an additional cushioning effect of the suspension. especially surge, which is higher than expected, or hump bad design. A wedge be sustained if they are otherwise hard material, with frequent compression and expansion of the coil spring, the stiffness would have worn and render them useless.

Neutral Newbie

You must have both at the same height. The spring itself was already set at the factory and compensated for the difference in the weight of passengers and the driver's side. The stiffness may be too close to the bow and rub against your body, you must place the rigidity in the middle of spring.

any bro have install those spring stiffener that claim to pro-long the life span of original spring and at same time offer stiffer ride.

years ago, one mechanic ever advised me not to add on anything to the original spring as it will affect the braking reaction the car and at same time the safety handling.

have called to enquire - for suv - it is not cheap - will probably cost 240 dollars for 4 pieces of rubber...

Just to share this: Such modifications are believed to be illegal alteration to the safety features by the manufacturer. Kindly check with LTA/AD before endangering yourself and others

anybody gone to LTA inspection with the Spring stiffener? will it pass the inspection?

i have, no problem

i wonder what is the problem with it?

previously have to slow to near halt else will feel impact of hump

all i know is now i can cross over hump without any concern

good luck till accident and someone dies

then see everyone start cursing this scam product

also good, by then die go heaven/hell, cant find the seller on earth

:D

Edited by Furrynadz

Fitted all suspension with the stiffener 6 years ago when my Korean ride is new at Autobacc. Can't remember the cost but there was a promotion then. Still using the orignal shock absorbers and dampers and the whole suspension is still good. Did a lot of driving in Malaysia and had hit potholes at speed numerous times. IMHO, guess it was worth it after all this years.

wow... people will buy anything that ppl upsell huh. this shows how consumers think...

stiffeners will prolong lifespan of shocks (which is a common failure -- leaking ,etc.) but will put stress on the springs.

springs can usually last very long. but you must know the consequences.

if the shock fail, you just get a bouncy ride.

if the springs break, it could be quite a disaster.

for your own safety, i think it should be removed...

btw shocks play a big part on the stiffness of a ride. even if you buy proper stiffer springs, you should change the shocks.

springs resist against compression and shocks help absorb the oscillations from the rebound of the compression. more appropriately, springs resist against the weight/force and shocks resist against the rate of change.

just imagine the baby cradle. that's a spring without a shock - it oscillates up and down until the energy is lost as heat.

baby-spring-cradle.jpg

if i put a stiffer spring, the cradle is just going to go up and down faster but of lesser distance. adding a shock rated for the right spring will keep the oscillations in check. overpowering the shock (as what you do when making the springs stiffer) will introduce oscillations.

cutting your springs to lower your ride as some people do also changes spring rate. you feel stiffer as the springs now resist compression and send the bumps up to your backside, but you're going to have either your shocks fail prematurely or your car oscillating at the worst case.

shocks and springs work hand in hand.

Edited by Detach8

omg. I cannot believe what people are doing to their cars.. Remove those things immediately!

What you're doing is adding massive bump stops with unknown rates or characteristics to the car, which can have a serious effect on safety.

One day, you will need to swerve or enter a corner at a higher than normal speed. When that happens, your car will roll at a certain rate depending on your springs, till it hits this bump stop and suddenly your spring rate changes. Your tires are still loading up gradually and suddenly they encounter this massive weight over them, which causes their grip to reduce significantly. Not to mention your stock dampers at that time are certainly not working. Driving is all about feedback and if the driver encounters a sudden change in handling characteristic... the outcome is not very good. This is worse in wet weather.

If you want to carry alot of load, remove your shocks and springs and bolt in a 3in steel rod. No more sag. [:)]

If your car is stock, don't worry about bottoming out (by bottoming out, we mean the shocks, not the car body on the hump).. it shouldn't happen unless it's a poorly designed copy. If the car scrapes on the humps, tell the passengers to get out, or go over slowly. I believe the car is more well though of during design than the hump. Don't sacrifice your safety and 5 digit car for the sake of a lump of tar and bitumen.

well said bro [thumbsup]

Got a few quotes frm 3 workshop

1 ws) front & rear = $180

2 ws) front & rear = $160

3 ws) front & rear = $120

I won't fit that in.

↡ Advertisement