Any cheap car gadgets to lookout for in London?

Kianbeng

my frd who's on an attachment to the States with the air force bot a Garmin (dunoe wad model) for US$99 only....dirt cheap lor...

Oh! No wonder! So the best place to buy Garmin is not in UK. It should be in US. No wonder all the SLS sets are from US coz then only they got more margin. But strange that although the SLS are cheap but I checked today and 1 shop actually told me that for $330 he can also give me the Eastgear warranty.....strange.

Anyway maybe I'll not buy the garmin in UK already. Wait till I go US next time [sunny]

(edited)

If you buy a garmin in UK u should be able to load Malsing.... :)

anyways to prevent further misconceptions about UK's prices, they do have cheap GPS....

for example:

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Home-&-Lei...lite-Navigation

some of them are below 50 pounds... convert to SG and its definitely cheaper than whatever you can find in Sim Lim.

if you guys want something branded, lets look at the Garmin 200W - 74.74 pounds = 165 SGD.... cheap!

Edited by Whitecvt

If you buy a garmin in UK u should be able to load Malsing.... :)

anyways to prevent further misconceptions about UK's prices, they do have cheap GPS....

for example:

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Home-&-Lei...lite-Navigation

some of them are below 50 pounds... convert to SG and its definitely cheaper than whatever you can find in Sim Lim.

if you guys want something branded, lets look at the Garmin 200W - 74.74 pounds = 165 SGD.... cheap!

Huh? Oh I was only checking 205W which was like 149GBP. Didn't know this 200W is half the price. But as I'm only in City area...I need to see if I can find this place. But the 200W is also obselete model leh.....

Those <50GBP models, their brands not common here, how do we know if I can use Malsing maps on them?

If you are in the central london...try John Lewis dept store along Oxford Street (near to the Regent Street/Oxford Street junction). They should have that...on the top floor.

If you are in the central london...try John Lewis dept store along Oxford Street (near to the Regent Street/Oxford Street junction). They should have that...on the top floor.

But as Oxford St is like our orchard rd, I think they probably will only sell current models such as 205W, not 200W. So finding cheap bargains will be difficult......

But still I'll surely check this store out. Thanks.

(edited)

Then you can try Argo...they have a few branches around London. They should sell the older models.

One of the most central ones (closest to Oxford st) is at New Oxford Street. They are a catalog shop....just go thru their product catalog, write down the product code and quantity..then queue to check for stock and pay up.

For John Lewis...they have a 'Never knowingly undersold' policy.....if you can find the same product selling at a cheaper within a certain distance from their store, they will match it.

Edited by Silver_blade

Hi Bros,

I'm making a trip to London in May. Was thinking of checking out any electronics / car gadgets there. Is there anything worth to look out for? My friends in UK told me that normally they come SG to buy electronics and almost everything is expensive there.

Is that true?

London and cheap don't go hand-in-hand.

Then you can try Argo...they have a few branches around London. They should sell the older models.

One of the most central ones (closest to Oxford st) is at New Oxford Street. They are a catalog shop....just go thru their product catalog, write down the product code and quantity..then queue to check for stock and pay up.

For John Lewis...they have a 'Never knowingly undersold' policy.....if you can find the same product selling at a cheaper within a certain distance from their store, they will match it.

Ok will check out New Oxford Street's Argo. Good to see how a catalog shop looks like. But it means I have to also go other shops to physically check out the model first.

For "never knowingly undersold" policy, I think there's 2 types. 1 is always expensive, but they allow ppl to complain then they match it. The other one is, most of the time they are the usually the cheapest and so the policy becomes an endorsement....

London and cheap don't go hand-in-hand.

Seems like there's quite some stuff advertised on ebay, based in UK sellers, and they deliver for free within UK. But as I'm staying for 1 week and moving around, it's difficult for them to send to me. I actually prefer to visit a shop and just buy over the counter.....

Things like this ebay OBD2 item....really feel like buying so that I can reset my MB W210 E200 and Toyota Corolla.

Ebay OBD2 reader

I just checked Halfords, hey not bad. They also sell refurbished items which are allegedly refurbished by Garmin.....ie, Nuvi205W can get for about 80GBP for refurbished ones. But problem is that they deliver to home and I cannot "reserve and collect from store" for that 1 item.

Now checking how to get there.....hmm. I will most likely get travel pass (7GBP daily) which allows me to take bus, and I guess if I travel to more than 3-4 different places per day I should be able to ROI already as compared to single fares via Oyster card.

Can also try Halfords...but their store are less accessible via the Tube. Cater more for those who drive. Can get there by bus.

Ok I found 1 halfords quite near to city -> St Paul's. But luckily just found that it's a small store with Cycle/Accessories only. I need to go to the Halfords Super which is quite far away from all the tube stations.....too hard. :-)

Probably can buy from halfords.

I checked their online catalog, couldn't find anything on OBD .... maybe they have it in the stores, but it's so hard to get there.....Do you know of somewhere else easier to go?

I can't justify to my wife that I have to spend 1/2 a day somewhere while she'll be bored and possibly may end up not finding that item in the store and coming back empty handed.

Also, the stores seems to be out of zone 1....I don't mind if the stores are near to zone2 tube coz I don't want to take a bus and end up going wrong direction or long waiting time......unfortunately I don't stay there long enough.....infact, I'm going Paris for 2nights within the 7 days I have in london.....

↡ Advertisement