• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
32 replies to this topic | 55 praises

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:33 PM

Rainman
  • Premium member
    Rainman
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I'm going for a short getaway trip with my family during mid June. Any good recommendations for beach resort?

I need some advices as there are few areas of resorts that I can pick, Burau Bay, Kuah Town, Pantai Cenang, Tanjung Rhu etc...

Hope to do some snorkeling and water sports...budget around $300 per night.

Thanks alot!

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:47 PM

Robo
  • Premium member
    Robo
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

with a budget this huge shouldnt have any problems to find a nice resort
Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Albert Schweitzer

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:58 PM

Route88
  • Premium member
    Route88
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

I'm going for a short getaway trip with my family during mid June. Any good recommendations for beach resort?

I need some advices as there are few areas of resorts that I can pick, Burau Bay, Kuah Town, Pantai Cenang, Tanjung Rhu etc...

Thanks alot!

Kuah Town is a bit hectic.

Burau bay is near pantai kok 

Pantai Cenang got lots of budget resorts and Inn

Tanjong Rhu seems like a quiet beach

What is the most effective way to control the world?
"MIND CONTROL"

We are being hypnotised and brainwashed !!! 

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:25 PM

Vblues
  • Vblues
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Just came back from Langkawi. Stayed at Cenang Spa and Beach resort. Very nice place and the huts are right beside the beach. The beach though it may look white, are filled with trillions of small broken pieces of seashells so I'd advise you to put your footwear on when walking along the beach.

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:34 PM

Rainman
  • Premium member
    Rainman
    5th Gear
    Author Image

with a budget this huge shouldnt have any problems to find a nice resort

Huge meh? I only worry I wont be getting a decent beach resort with this price, hotels in Langawi is cheap but resorts, especially with seaview are surprising costly... sweatdrop.gif

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:12 PM

Gwensilvz
  • Gwensilvz
    1st Gear
    Author Image

can give mutiara bay a try. got a private beach for the resort. rooms are individual lodges.

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:26 PM

Siewss
  • Siewss
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Thanks alot!

You can't go wrong with Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa Cenang Beach. The rooms are tastefully furnished, suitably sized and cosily trapped in luxurious wood. Hardly anybody goes to the beach, so it's rather private. Restaurants are aplenty lining up both sides of the road right outside the resort , and there's shopping to be done. I think you need to top up a bit more for seaview rooms. Note that at this princely rate breakfast is not included, but no worries as cafe's are just a stone throw away.

You may also want to try Casa Del Mar, which is just next door, or Berjaya, which is at the opposite end of the island.

For higher class lodging, there's Four Seasons, Westin, Andaman and Datai.

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:09 PM

Sky61
  • Sky61
    5th Gear
    Author Image

casa del mar more suitable for romantic getaway couples,not wif kids in tow. its a boutique hotel. and pentai cenang beach not suitable for swimming as they have jelly fish in the waters. been to tanjong rhu resort at the other end,its quiet (again good for romantic getaways) and u can rent a car to get u into kuah town and the cable car towers. beach is quiet and clean,they are kids friendly if u r bringing them. go for the mangrove tour.

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:16 PM

Sha_va
  • Sha_va
    1st Gear
    Author Image

planning to go Langkawi also. Redang is also a nice place i suppose...

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:09 AM

Mica_blue
  • Mica_blue
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Can consider Sheraton also .

http://www.tripadvis...kawi_Kedah.html

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:45 AM

Spawnstar
  • Spawnstar
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

something quiet and nice check out The Andaman which is having 50% off . It is now RM$425 nett.

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:37 PM

Kurty
  • Premium member
    Kurty
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Langkawi is a nice place, filled with historical background yet urban.

Enjoyed our 2 weeks stay in there, rent a kelisa running around the island.

My advise for you is to stay at least 5 days, it's really nice and the island is pretty big.
lots of discoveries.

As for hotel stay, i stay at the hotel nearest to the airport. Damn spacious and cheap, having some great promotion during that time.

The one that i don't recommend is that genting awana hotel, area is nice but facilities sux..
bluey Tiko Ranger

I have a pen, I have an apple..

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:58 PM

Carndablues
  • Carndablues
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Forget renting cars, rent a mototbike (if you can ride) it's awesome. And the police don't care, you don't need a helmet.

There aren't that many cars around, especially on the roads around the resorts. There are plenty of small kampongs to find hidden amongst the bushes. I found a small fishing village, had lunch there in a small hut which overlooked a bay, tranquil, peaceful, romantic....and cheap! Cost my wife and I RM10 for prawns, fish and "la la".

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:29 AM

Skylander
  • Skylander
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

air asia was giving out free air tickets to langkawi (available from 1 june) last week but i think the offer ended. There a new offer but will cost a bit more, about SGD 40 (excl tax) one way.

With a budget of $300 per night, i think you can stay at the high end ones. I presume you are not looking at the hotels since you want a beach resort. Below are some of my recommendations for 4* and 5* resorts and rates quoted in SGD.

1) the andaman, the datai (i think they from the same hotel group). These 2 are the best, in terms of service, rooms, facilities and view/surroundings. Own private beach. Price a bit on the high side but if you want to try andaman, asia rooms.com rates are $311 per room per night incl daily breakfast for superior. The datai is about $500 p/rm p/night, so its out of your budget.

2) Pelangi. Very good but still not to the mark of datai, andaman in my opinion. If you bringing young children, this hotel should be the one for you. They have lots of activities for them, including games rental, kids playroom etc. Good location, near airport and many eatries nearby. Rates start at $238 with breakfast from asia travel.

3) Casa Del Mar. Highly rated by many people, saying better than pelangi. Cant tell you much cos never stayed there. Rates should be about $250 with breakfast.

4) Berjaya Langkawi. Also very good and quiet. Suggest you take the seaview ones by paying a bit more. Beach is nice, big and quiet. About $230 with breakfast for the partial seaview. Only thing is that the chalets are located on a slope and if you select those high up, you need a bit of effort to climb and get there. Of cos they got provide buggy service to ferry you if you want to wait.

5) Sheraton. Most value for money. The beach not that good though, quite small and the pool also not that big although the view at the pool is superb. The rooms and service are good. I think they now having promotion stay 3 nights pay 2 nights thingy. $220 with breakfast for superior.

Hope this helps.
vous ne marcherez jamais seuls

PSN ID: rico7ch3t

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:23 PM

Coolpica
  • Premium member
    Coolpica
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Sheraton Langkawi is highly recommended as it suits your budget and provides good service. Do rent a car to explore the island. The traffic is light and easy to drive. Enjoy your stay there. smile.gif
Signature. What is that?

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:14 PM

Rainman
  • Premium member
    Rainman
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Thanks for the detailed info thumbsup.gif

Browsing though the hotels one by one now....

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:48 PM

Gary84
  • Premium member
    Gary84
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

nice reviews bro...does give us an idea what we looking for...

You can't go wrong with Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa Cenang Beach. The rooms are tastefully furnished, suitably sized and cosily trapped in luxurious wood. Hardly anybody goes to the beach, so it's rather private. Restaurants are aplenty lining up both sides of the road right outside the resort , and there's shopping to be done. I think you need to top up a bit more for seaview rooms. Note that at this princely rate breakfast is not included, but no worries as cafe's are just a stone throw away.

You may also want to try Casa Del Mar, which is just next door, or Berjaya, which is at the opposite end of the island.

For higher class lodging, there's Four Seasons, Westin, Andaman and Datai.

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:17 PM

Dwoon
  • Premium member
    Dwoon
    6th Gear
    Author Image

For a 1st time visitor, best to get somewhere near civilization. Datai is in one isolated place that takes 30 mins to reach Cenang or Kuah. Else, eating in is expensive and unless you're the sort that can sit on the beach/pool all day and read a book ..... you'll be bored.

Cenang is a good place where the rows of shops lining the streets offer food, to tours, to massages, spas, duty free, aquarium which is next door to it, etc.

If you don't mind the older manual proton cars.... rental is pretty cheap at about SGD30-35/day

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:01 AM

Siewss
  • Siewss
    5th Gear
    Author Image

For a 1st time visitor, best to get somewhere near civilization. Datai is in one isolated place that takes 30 mins to reach Cenang or Kuah. Else, eating in is expensive and unless you're the sort that can sit on the beach/pool all day and read a book ..... you'll be bored.

Cenang is a good place where the rows of shops lining the streets offer food, to tours, to massages, spas, duty free, aquarium which is next door to it, etc.

If you don't mind the older manual proton cars.... rental is pretty cheap at about SGD30-35/day

That is true. Datai is more suitable for couples who want a quiet and romantic getaway, and the resorts along Cenang is more family oriented.

It's also possible to get a Nissan Sentra for RM80/day.

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:03 AM

Sir8
  • Sir8
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Getting to Langkawi requires much effort (time/money/hassles) and the resorts there, while are nice .. but, just not worth the effort. Is no fantasy island. Food is horrible and expensive.

Only consolation, cheap beers. :)

Back to Travel & Road Trips  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users