Second Hand Car Dealers' Admin Fee

Achtung

admin fee is all bull lah....

another term they like to use is "football money"

bloody hell, they already earn so much from the profit margin, loan commission, car insurance commission.... still not enough?

"football money" is different from "admin fee". it is some sort of arranging fee/upfront interest/risk premium for arranging financing for COE cars. apparently the financing is in-house so greater risk.

"admin fee" is what they try to charge for paper work involving the sale of the car. market rate is $500? benzworld tried to charge me when i got my first car from them. it only appeared in the final statement after i paid the initial deposit, so can't just walk away. i kpkb with them for 3 days till they finally dropped it.

best was when they claimed it is to cover their cost when they arrange for financing/insurance etc. so i called both finance company and bank, and neither said there were any fees, let alone fees of up to $500. got a contact and dropped names at BW and asked for telephone conference. they dropped it.

↡ Advertisement

"football money" is different from "admin fee". it is some sort of arranging fee/upfront interest/risk premium for arranging financing for COE cars. apparently the financing is in-house so greater risk.

"admin fee" is what they try to charge for paper work involving the sale of the car. market rate is $500? benzworld tried to charge me when i got my first car from them. it only appeared in the final statement after i paid the initial deposit, so can't just walk away. i kpkb with them for 3 days till they finally dropped it.

best was when they claimed it is to cover their cost when they arrange for financing/insurance etc. so i called both finance company and bank, and neither said there were any fees, let alone fees of up to $500. got a contact and dropped names at BW and asked for telephone conference. they dropped it.

Bro, was there a invoice that you signed when you paid the downpayment? If your copy of the invoice does not include any admin fees, they can still claim from you?

Neutral Newbie

[gorgeous][rolleyes] No such fee lah....

Tell them you cannot afford to pay loh...

ask them take action lah in law

They will sure wave it at the end of day...

Consumer must be firm....sure will win....

Because this is the fee no black and white ... [scholar]

Surely, u gotta bear the xfer fee right?

Yes. Transfer and insurance(I sourced my own) are besides the agreed upon car price.

Bro, was there a invoice that you signed when you paid the downpayment? If your copy of the invoice does not include any admin fees, they can still claim from you?

i remembered, when u put deposit, all they do is swipe card, maybe 3k. and they give u a receipt for the deposit.

then based on downpayment, loan amount, insurance, transfer fee, etc, they would come up with a statement of what u need to pay to drive car away. that is not immediate but a few days later... it was at this point in time that the admin fee first surfaced...

Don't ever pay for such fees, no such thing even if you are not trading in your car or not taking loan or insurance or whatever from them....Just pay the price of the car + transfer fees , nothing else, that's what I always do....they have to either take it or leave it...

By buying the car from them they already make a few thousand $$$....

Just bought a 2nd hand ride few months back. Did not pay the admin fee or football fee. Negotiate with them until they gave up. Coz i told them i am not buying if they are collecting the admin fee and i turn and start walking away immediately. They know i am serious. Haha.

Hey Bro,

I bought a 2nd hand ride 6 months ago.

Traded in my coe car for a parf car.

The dealer very straight forward, no admin/agreement fee.

Just the advertised price on sgcarmart + transfer fees.

He also asked me to source for my own insurance/loan if i can get cheaper rates outside.

Just my experience [:p]

Supercharged

now is buyer's market... car dealers are in very desperate situation now... so now is the time to squeeze them dry....

now is buyer's market... car dealers are in very desperate situation now... so now is the time to squeeze them dry....

i dont think this is the case. on the contrary, consumers are always at the mercy of car dealers, in good times and bad times. the perception that market is bad and therefore car dealers are desperate and will lower prices or give in to consumers is purely a mirage.

Supercharged

oh yeah they will..... its up to the buyer to play the mind game with them....

each day the car sits in their garage, its losing money..... the most they can do is to export out.

sorry...mind if i ask...how do we check or know if a second hand car is in good condition? and the price is not too high as what they state in depreciation per year? looking at mitsubishi i in the sgmarts....tempting.. advice?

Supercharged

getting a good 2nd hand car is like gambling.....

u got to know something about cars. then u got to bring the car for evaluation by AA or STA or Vicom.

personally i feel that AA is the best neutral party to do evaluation.

even after it pass evaluation, it doesnt guarantee that the car is problem free.

then u got to bring it to yr trusted WS for inspection. then u will know how much $$ to pay for any repairs or maintenance.......

best advise is to buy from friends or someone u know personally.

Neutral Newbie

Its pure luck when going for 2nd hand cars.

Mine current car is bought from CxxTimes and there

are no Admin Fee or what so ever. Just need to pay GST for the Loan

amount plus Transfer Fee which I need to bear.

The Dealer pushed me for the inhouse Insurance but

I decline and went to look for my own. In the end, I

get the same Quotation from the Dealer (Same company somemore)

but I was given $50 Petrol Voucher as a Gift from the

Insurance company.

Have to be very careful when collecting Car. Must make sure

that those items which you pointed out to them before

your purchase must be rectified. Best is that you put it down

in Black and white what needs to be done and counter signed

by by the dealer and you. Also make sure that you get a handling

over of Documents form from them since they need your original

I/C for transfer at LTA. Make sure both original Keys are collected.

I will make it a point to re-learn the Alarm system when I bought

cars from Used Car dealer. Just in case they Dup another set of

alram remote controller. Also, not to mention a complete oil change at

your preferred workshop immediately after collecting car, Just in case

there are sand in the Engine Oil. [confused]

Neutral Newbie

Although you didn't pay the admin fee, I am not quite sure why are you paying GST on the loan?

If you did and the dealer documented it on a invoice/receipt, I would suggest that you refer the matter to IRAS...There is no GST on loan.

Turbocharged

the last time a SE was showing me a second hand car he had, and he asked for $500 "agreement fee", I asked him "I agree to buy you pay men issit?" :excl:

↡ Advertisement