Second Hand Car Dealers' Admin Fee

Achtung

hi there,

i am not sure if i am posting in the correct thread...

i am a new driver (just passed 3 months ago) and i am looking at a second hand car to facilitate my transportation from school to home. I am interested in a 1.4 manual Chevrolet Aveo (sedan) and the price quoted is 25k. i would like to know if this is a reasonable price. its a 2006 car and the mileage is around 30000km...

also, what are the things to look out for when buying a second hand car?

thanks in advance [:p]

Neutral Newbie

second hand dealer always give u discount here. but add up more at the admin charge. which make it no discount at all.

hi there,

i am not sure if i am posting in the correct thread...

i am a new driver (just passed 3 months ago) and i am looking at a second hand car to facilitate my transportation from school to home. I am interested in a 1.4 manual Chevrolet Aveo (sedan) and the price quoted is 25k. i would like to know if this is a reasonable price. its a 2006 car and the mileage is around 30000km...

also, what are the things to look out for when buying a second hand car?

thanks in advance [:p]

Chevrolet Aveo 2006 model - run away fast fast... My colleague bot it new and problem starts from 6mths onwards. Radiator choked (found Rust clogged - rust ??). Aircon compression spoil after 1 year... and many small problems here and there. Yes 2006 model and he sold it after 2yr and bot Stream.

For a budget of $25k check these out

<You shd look for depreciation value of Up to $3.5k/year>

See these Ads... 1 Jap, 1 Kor 1 Msia

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...430&DL=2080

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...740&DL=1344

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...006&DL=1318

Neutral Newbie

After reading this post, I blame myself for not doing enough google search for all such "hidden" fee when it comes to used car transaction.

I'v recently purchase a 2nd hand latio from a used car dealer at Turf City.

We found the car to be of very good condition...saw the car, likes it, etc..thus ask the dealer to quote a price. The dealer ask me to quote them a price instead. I did do my own market research before hand. Thus I ask for 34K. The dealer then said "give me $700 more and I everything for you". So we said okie. Proceed to put down a $1000 deposit and all the paper work.

Few days later, he call up and say that the car is ready for collection and ask me to bring a lump sum of cash down for payment. I say i needed a breakdown of the sum. He kept saying that he is very honest....don't have to worry, just bring the $ down and he will explain the breakdown when we are there.

So my boyfriend call him and demand for the breakdown. Then we realised that there was a $800 admin fee.

We ask him what's the admin fee for, he say it's for the paper work he is doing for us, the insurance, the bank loan, driving the car to STA for checking, etc. Say their pay is very low. The admin fee is their commission

We then told him that from what we know....there is no such practise in the market if the dealer is a honest dealer. Admin fee is those "chop carrot" . We even tell him that people chop carrot between $200 to $500. He is really asking for too much.

Then he told us he will talk to the boss..etc..Then call us back. This time around. Tell us that $800 is GST!!!!

Of course we tell him GST is goverment $. We want to see offical receipt..etc. Then he again "talk to the boss"

After that, I simply tell him I dont want to buy the car anymore.

After a few hours he call again and say they will waive off the admin fee.

So we go down to Turf City to collect the car. While doing the last bit of paper work. He purposely keep saying there are ALOT of paper work..they didn't take the admin fee for nothing..blah blah.

Bottomline. Have to get all your grounds covered. When agreed on price. Ask, who pay transfer fee? Any Admin fee? Any this, any that? Ask them to write down everything and counter sign.

I bought a car from dealer before.. the dealer keeps telling me there is a admin fee.. i know it and I'm okay for it, as long as they do a proper job for me..

Everything is smooth, I get to choose the cheapest insurance, and they got me the bank loan etc etc..

I know the dealer earned their $$ from admin fee, bank loan comm$$ and etc.. but I am fine with it as long as they willing to lower the car price.. hehe..

to be frank, they are doing business also.. if the car only earned u $2K to $3K.. imagine they still need to pay the agent comm$, the shop/office rental, plus admin staff... so these ppl need to be paid as well..

well, i am happy with the services overall, although I know the boss bluff me a few things, didn't change my car wipers even though he promised to.. (i think it's minor thing, and I don't wanna make a hoohaa, since I pay so much $$ for a car, I want to have a good experience than a poor 1)

Their usual saying..... Bo lah..... all of Turf CIty have this standard practice. I said.. LC, and walked off. LL that dealer.

I bought from Commonwealth car mart in feb, no admin fee, All swee swee.

After reading this post, I blame myself for not doing enough google search for all such "hidden" fee when it comes to used car transaction.

We found the car to be of very good condition...saw the car, likes it, etc..thus ask the dealer to quote a price. The dealer ask me to quote them a price instead. I did do my own market research before hand. Thus I ask for 34K. The dealer then said "give me $700 more and I everything for you". So we said okie. Proceed to put down a $1000 deposit and all the paper work.

Few days later, he call up and say that the car is ready for collection and ask me to bring a lump sum of cash down for payment. I say i needed a breakdown of the sum. He kept saying that he is very honest....don't have to worry, just bring the $ down and he will explain the breakdown when we are there.

So my boyfriend call him and demand for the breakdown. Then we realised that there was a $800 admin fee.

We ask him what's the admin fee for, he say it's for the paper work he is doing for us, the insurance, the bank loan, driving the car to STA for checking, etc. Say their pay is very low. The admin fee is their commission

We then told him that from what we know....there is no such practise in the market if the dealer is a honest dealer. Admin fee is those "chop carrot" . We even tell him that people chop carrot between $200 to $500. He is really asking for too much.

Then he told us he will talk to the boss..etc..Then call us back. This time around. Tell us that $800 is GST!!!!

Of course we tell him GST is goverment $. We want to see offical receipt..etc. Then he again "talk to the boss"

So we go down to Turf City to collect the car. While doing the last bit of paper work. He purposely keep saying there are ALOT of paper work..they didn't take the admin fee for nothing..blah blah.

Bottomline. Have to get all your grounds covered. When agreed on price. Ask, who pay transfer fee? Any Admin fee? Any this, any that? Ask them to write down everything and counter sign.

Sometimes it doesnt pay to be nice.

I bought a car from dealer before.. the dealer keeps telling me there is a admin fee.. i know it and I'm okay for it, as long as they do a proper job for me..

Everything is smooth, I get to choose the cheapest insurance, and they got me the bank loan etc etc..

I know the dealer earned their $$ from admin fee, bank loan comm$$ and etc.. but I am fine with it as long as they willing to lower the car price.. hehe..

to be frank, they are doing business also.. if the car only earned u $2K to $3K.. imagine they still need to pay the agent comm$, the shop/office rental, plus admin staff... so these ppl need to be paid as well..

well, i am happy with the services overall, although I know the boss bluff me a few things, didn't change my car wipers even though he promised to.. (i think it's minor thing, and I don't wanna make a hoohaa, since I pay so much $$ for a car, I want to have a good experience than a poor 1)

Don't think 2nd hand car dealers only make 2 to 3k profit. Min is 15k. They buy back at paper value + body which depends on model of car.

Rgdng admin fee, market practice dealers try to charge buyers. But b4 signing on the dotted line, ask them if they charge admin fee. If they say yes, ask them to waive off. If not, walk off.

Recently bought a 2nd hand car too. Managed to get admin fee waiver. But let the sales staff earn the insurance comm.

Bought a 2nd hand car 1 month ago, Dealer ask $100 for admin, but give me $50 for pumping petrol.

I dun mind paying $100 for admin cos I got the excellent service rendered by the dealer.

Listed every necessary charges in details and only let me settle the amount on the day I am collecting the car.

Also polished my car twice before handing over (due to rain).

[:)]

Neutral Newbie

Neolihia, may i know which co u bought ur car from?

I bought a 4 yr old Mitsubishi Lancer just last week and my mum and I r totally fed up with the car dealer; Steven Lee S.K. from GD Carz @ Turf City.

His attitude was superb when we test-drove the car. My mum enquired him abt the Road Tax, and he said "don't need to buy le" (in chinese) -- when a car dealer tells u this; wouldn't u "auto" think tt u dun hv to renew it for the whole of this yr anymore?

This is what he quoted us:

1. Transfer fee: $440

2. Admin fee: $600

3. Insurance: $1878

4. Downpayment: $488

5. Car price: $28,500

His attitude took a downhill turn after we agreed to buy the car.

He quoted us for $29k+ to cover the above (w/o including the admin fee, insurance was "estimated" to be 1.5k); and we took a loan of $31k (which should MORE than enough to cover the above), only to realise tt the car needs a total of $32k in order to drive off! I asked him why e sum became so much higher, and he shouted back at me tt we cnt rely on his figure cuz it's only an ESTIMATE. And he grumbled tt it's so much hassle for him to "save" money for us, yet we gave him so many problems.

Before we collect e car, my mum asked abt the Road Tax again, he said he'll be paying for it together with the processing of documents.

We find e insurance is too hefty a sum and told him we would like to look for car insurance on our own. He threatened us to go find another one cuz he claimed his' is the cheapest in town. I told him "No problem, we find it ourselves" n we managed to find a 1.2k one. He wasn't happy and told us although we are not taking up his in-house insurance, we still nidda pay him tt 1.8k nonetheless.

My mum threatened him back; if tt's e case, drop e car. And his attitude became good again (for a short while).

The issue now is abt the Road Tax. I called him to check on why the Road Tax wasn't renewed (expiring next mth) and he said "THAT's YOUR PROBLEM". He even dared me to go ask other car dealers abt this issue, cuz he claimed tt they all won't renew the Road Tax after the names hv been transferred.

He was flaring up over the phone n even hung up on me!

I know the effective price tt i've paid for this Lancer is $29,100 (after reading all these threads). But i'm really getting upset.

This is our first time buying a second-hand car n we didn't do much "homework" b4 making e decision.

Coupled with his attitude, the whole experience was EXTREMELY sucky!

My friend has suggested tt i go back to this car dealer n try to talk over amicably over claiming the Road Tax amt (approx $950?). If he don't wanna back down, then ask to see his boss. If he's NOT getting his boss down, then I'll write to LTA and the press.

Is there any other ways to get this issue solved? Are LTA and the press the right way to go?

What should i do? [bigcry]

Neutral Newbie

Any recommendation for 2nd hand dealer that do not charge admin fee?

I have been to a few dealers, all of them charge admin fee, no neg on the waive of the admin fee.

There is even one dealer asking for 1k admin fee.

Any advice?

once the names are transferred, dont think there is any more things u can do to him

if the names are not tt, maybe u can drag on till the road tax expired?

then he LL have to renew it?

Hi, I also intend to buy a second hand car but is confused with what my agent say about admin fee. She say "so sorry the admin fee can't be waived, so in fact I am taking out from the car price meaning you are not paying". Does this means she add the admin fee into the car price?