Correct tyre pressure??

Stash

for new cars owner, when u pump your tyres, pls dun take reference from the tyres, some tyres ( esp low profile reinforce sidewall) have a max pressure of 51 psi. BUT WE DUN pump to 51 . u must take reference from car spec, 220,230,240 etc etc etc or 32 psi etc etc.

on the other hand , vans user must alway check your tyres max pressure, cos som van they pump to 60 psi , but if u have a normal 'CAR' tyres install, ( 41 psi ) , and u pump to 60, u will be having problem, worst case, u burst the tyres.

the best steps, check tyres max pressure, check vechicles spec, make sure vechicles reccommend pressure dun exeed your tyres max pressure .

The best is to have yr own manually or 12v operated air pump ( high pressure type not those used for pumping beach balls).Frankly most of the free compressed air available in petrol stations are not properly dry and the inflators are usually out of calibration.

Sorry, I wrote for highway 15% less than max tyre pressure, but left out for full load also. Thanks to help clarify.

I read it somewhere but cannot find the info now, I reproduce in table for you to see if its too low and for everyone to judge for themselves.

Max Less ~15% Less ~20%

38psi 33psi 30psi

44psi 38psi 36psi

50psi 43psi 40psi

for me i use 44psi max and inflate to 36psi as per my car manual. Since the table corresponds quite well to my car manual, I wonder if it is also a rough guide for other cars. FYI my Load Index correspond to 600kg.

i am worried because say 50psi max less 15% 43psi

but driving and braking generates heat

wouldnt this increased the pressure of the tire

wouldnt they explode

I pump 32-34 psi for my tires

Yes, this is a interesting topic.

For sharing purpose, the other day I saw this documentary on Ferrari 360, they wanted to find out how much G Force, the car can take during hard cornering before it goes out of control. Guess what, the driver lower the pressure before the test drive, and his reason? for better grip.

So I wonder, despite what the manual recommends, may be these drivers know that in practice, the tyre pressure needs to be fine-tuned for different road condition.

yeah lower pressure does offer better grip

talking about tyre pressure, i would recommend those drivers conscious of their tyre pressure should buy wireless tyre pressure monitoring system for the 4 wheels.

I have been using one such gadget for the last few months and it has been serving me very well indeed.

I no longer need to wonder when i need to pump air for my tyres.... In fact it had in one instance helped me to detect air-leakage and i quickly sent it for servicing and inspection. it turned out the culprit to be some sharp objects.

good tyre and correct pressure contribute alot to safe driving.

Over in US almost all new vehicles come equip this pressure monitoring device. For some vehicles, when the tyres are rotated, the mech needs to use a reset tool to get the tyres correlated in the display.

Travelling in Singapore is always not very far therefore such devices may not be very necessary for passenger cars but may be useful for heavy vehicles and public buses.

PS What is need for all car owners is a simple tyre pressure gauge.

Edited by Yeobh

The sticker pasted on my door sill (Nissan Presea) recommends a tyre size of 185/70R13 and front tyre pressure is supposed to be 28 psi while the rear tyre pressure is supposed to be 26 psi. Somehow, I find these recommended readings (from the manufacturer) ridiculously low, especially after I read the pressure some folks here in MCF are pumping.

In reality, the tyre profile used on my car is 185/65R14 and I pumped 31 psi for all the 4 tyres. Would 31psi be conducive for long distance travel on NSHW?

Edited by Albeniz

The sticker pasted on my door sill (Nissan Presea) recommends a tyre size of 185/70R13 and front tyre pressure is supposed to be 28 psi while the rear tyre pressure is supposed to be 26 psi. Somehow, I find these recommended readings (from the manufacturer) ridiculously low, especially after I read the pressure some folks here in MCF are pumping.

In reality, the tyre profile used on my car is 185/65R14 and I pumped 31 psi for all the 4 tyres. Would 31psi be conducive for long distance travel on NSHW?

Nissan wont give you wrong INFO for this case.

tyre Pressure varies with type of car/tyre size/application/load/and even your own preferance.

So you can adjust it to your own preference.

Do remember if you are heavily load and traveling long distance with high speed driving please add little more.

In Singapore you can simply follow your factory recommendation for comfort(but tyre will burn faster )

↡ Advertisement