Hospitalisation insurance question

Karoon

Turbocharged

Hi All

I've got an insurance question to ask.

My kid was hospitalised due to illness. Wife and I both working and both have hospitalisation coverage for family members provided by respective companies' insurance providers.

Can we both make claims from our respective companies' insurers for the bill?

eg I claim from my company's insurer and say there's still a shortfall, wife then claims from her company's insurer to make up the shortfall. This should be possible, right?

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

I think that will depend what the hospitalisation insurance cover. Like for eg. up to how much it cover your family members. Check with your company & wife's company HR. See which company can cover the most.

I dun think it can cover what's shortfall on your bill unless your bill comes separate like 2 bills. The insurance company won't accept what shortfall, I dun think it's fair for either one of them. Like I said check which can cover the most.

I do not think so it work this way or it never was. Have you bought those compulsory medisheild insur. whereby you can use it

to deduct from but if it is big amount and you have up-grade your plan to "as charged" or "as billed" then it should cover most of it.Take a look at your insur.plan again.

Neutral Newbie

If both of you have family insurance, then I would say both companies' insurance will reimburse your bills. Say you claim from your company's insurance first, shortfall can claim from your spouse company's insurance. Normally insurance will take away your receipts and settle the claim (subjected to max limit of the insurance contract), but you still need that original (not duplicate) receipts to claim from another insurance, so you need the 1st insurance to certify true copy of the receipts and at the same time a letter that state how much you have claimed. Then with these, 2nd insurance will reimburse the remaining (subjected to max limit of the insurance contract)

Neutral Newbie

There's usually a co-ordinated benefits clause to these type of reimbursement policies. (i.e. You'll not be allowed to make a profit out of your illness/injury/etc by combining claims from various sources).

Insurers have the right to recover any monies that is in excess of the actual expenses incurred. And yes, only original receipts are accepted for claims so you'll have to inform the first company about the 2nd claim else they will not return you the receipt.

In any case, you should consult your agent since he sold you the policy and will know best about the T&Cs of it.

Neutral Newbie

Hi All

I've got an insurance question to ask.

My kid was hospitalised due to illness. Wife and I both working and both have hospitalisation coverage for family members provided by respective companies' insurance providers.

Can we both make claims from our respective companies' insurers for the bill?

eg I claim from my company's insurer and say there's still a shortfall, wife then claims from her company's insurer to make up the shortfall. This should be possible, right?

Thanks

Technically you can first claim from your own company medical insurance first. Then, if there is a short-fall, you can claim from you own private medical insurance. Depending on what type of medical insurance you buy, you may need to pay the deductable and co-insurance.

Also, you can use some of your medisave to pay for the medical bills.

You can emil to me at [email protected] if you have any questions.

Turbocharged

If you can claim from company benefit, then claim that first. (You can't bring that along when you leave the company in future)

Your own personal insurance shd be the claimed last.

Twincharged

side track abit ...

anyone drove to hospital for simple checkup and unsuspectedly ended up warded in ?

then your car how ? accumulating parking charges in the carpark ? and your immediate family can't drive ?

side track abit ...

anyone drove to hospital for simple checkup and unsuspectedly ended up warded in ?

then your car how ? accumulating parking charges in the carpark ? and your immediate family can't drive ?

1) sneak out

2) buy 3 day season from reception if they have

side track abit ...

1. Tow car home

2. Get drive-home valet

side track abit ...

Happened to me before and was warded for one night. Car was left in the car park. 

Next day when discharged, got a friend to come and drive me home in my car. Parking charges was about $50. :huh:

Twincharged

Happened to me before and was warded for one night. Car was left in the car park. 

Next day when discharged, got a friend to come and drive me home in my car. Parking charges was about $50. :huh:

the sum of all my fears !!

think better take public transport if visiting hospital for checks .... you'll never know what happens.

side track abit ...

can consider to ask a trusted friend to drive home for you. 

or solicit help from MCFers haha... 

side track abit ...

actually u can tell doc tat u need to do your stuff first and return hours later.. They will oblige de..

the sum of all my fears !!

think better take public transport if visiting hospital for checks .... you'll never know what happens.

You fear the carpark fees from getting hospitalized but never fear getting hospitalized ah?

↡ Advertisement