Walkie Talkie, Motorola vs Midland

Billcoke

(edited)

Bros,

Need your advice.

I've been searching the forum on walkie talkie comparison between Motorola vs Midland, and can't decide the two. Basically, I need a small walkie talkie when travel overseas with my family member (yes to save on roaming charges), small enough to fit into pockets or handbag. And have narrow to these models:

Entry level

------------

Midland LXT110 (12miles),

Midland LXT110VP (12miles),

Midland LXT460Vp (24 miles)

Motorola FV300 (10miles)

Mid-range

----------

Midland GXT720 (30Miles)

Motorola T9680 (28miles)

Which would you pick? or any other recommended brands/ models?

For those entry level WT, would you think I can get signal from say 20th floor to the car park basement? because I can't get hand phone signal at the basement, so a walkie talkie would be helpful.

Is Feedback Comm Pte Ltd the only shop that carries Midland brands?

Edited by Billcoke
↡ Advertisement

I own the Moto9680.

20th floor to ground floor no problem. But basement no sure.

You use privacy code? is the sound quality clearer?

Which frequency is better? GRMS or FRS?

i use motorola one, i think 28 miles

1 key thing is wattage not the miles thing

that one not accurate one because that one is perfect scenario one

wattage is the key thing

mine got vibrator alert

i got a big handphone pouch which is secured against the shoulder straps of my bag, then i put in the walkie talkie.....look like flying tiger guy [pirate]

[bigcry] i am going to genting next week....my boss just cancelled my leavwe [bigcry][bigcry][bigcry]

Don't waste time and money on those colourful motorola walkie. 28 miles is BS, I can't even talk to the next car on the NSHW when I cannot see them.

i duno if ur T series is the type for recreational use

if yes please dont presume longer distance is better

i happen to use both 10miles and 28miles b4 and the 28 miles sucks like hell, poor voice quality,sound damn muffled

during my survey time which is 2-3 yrs back manage to find the 17 miles is the clearest with the best distance.

something for u to note

another thing is take the distance with a pinch of salt, the talkie dpends on ur enviroment to work

terminal 1 to terminal 2 cant communicate but sheares bridge to lau pa sat still can communicate.

my 2cents !

Don't waste time and money on those colourful motorola walkie. 28 miles is BS, I can't even talk to the next car on the NSHW when I cannot see them.

Ideally, those Motorola GP HF/VHF series are better walkie, but they are a little buky for travel.

Which model would you recommend?

Neutral Newbie

Depending on ur needs and operating environment.

Few factors to consider:

1. Distance

2. Batt Life

3. Environment / Terrain

I do not recommend HF and do not think that we can get HF as it is military controlled. Unless you have your means.

Probably most of the walkies in the market are VHF and commonly UHF 2.4 Ghz just like your internet wireless modem.

Neutral Newbie

HF can la, join HAM radios

VHF is 100+ Mhz, UHF is 300+, usually range is 400+

like e motorola T-series, 465Mhz, btw, all these "toys" can throw in dustbin useless in NSHW

good enough for shopping centre

(edited)

HF can la, join HAM radios

VHF is 100+ Mhz, UHF is 300+, usually range is 400+

like e motorola T-series, 465Mhz, btw, all these "toys" can throw in dustbin useless in NSHW

good enough for shopping centre

You mean the Motoroal T-series can't pickup the signal when the cars are travelling at high speed on NSHW, even it is a open space?

Edited by Billcoke

I was hunting for walkie a couple of weeks back....was impressed with those long distance quoted...but according to the shop...as one forumer pointed out...its the wattage that you should be looking at. Most of the Talkabout model from Motorola can't do the distance...a more sensible distance is around 10-15 miles only.

If you want a longer range...then have to get those that transmit in UHF frequency....cost about 300+ a piece. Confirm beyond visual range.

You mean the Motoroal T-series can't pickup the signal when the cars are travelling at high speed on NSHW, even it is a open space?

What he meant that if you are unable to see the opposite car (behind or infront of you) on NSHW, you can hardly converse or communicate. Those 10 miles or 27 miles thingy are kind of BS though. I am using FV300 but still happy with it but dont expect these walkie talkie can comminicate like those police radio.

i've been using these types of walkie talkie since 2004

maybe i can share u my experience

yup those so call long distance are just bull unless the power output is around 4watts.

this usually the export set which uses 462 and 467 mhz frequency. it is illegal to be use in other countries except for US.

the legal ones that can be use in this country is 446mhz frequency but this only have 0.5watts power output. this can be use in europe.

in malaysia the legal frequency is 477mhz that is the same as new zealand and australia. i must admit it is hard to get 477mhz walkie talkie.

in my opinion if want to get walkie talkie, get the approve 446mhz, 8 channel instead of 5 and comes with CTCSS or sub code or privacy channel they call it. get a set that comes with earpiece. this is to conceal it when we use in malaysia shopping center or places like genting island. getting this approve types we can use it in singapore such as the beach, shopping center or event like wedding.

if die die want to get those powerful 4watts walkie talkie yet illegal but can self programme the frequency, seach for puxing in ebay and it will throw out walkies such as px777 or px888. i'm using this walkies for my drive up to the north but each set not pair cost me about $110 and i program it to the legal frequency of 477mhz.

how good are this puxing walkies, test range in singapore, between tiong bahru plaza can reach queenstown area.

regards

i've been using these types of walkie talkie since 2004

maybe i can share u my experience

yup those so call long distance are just bull unless the power output is around 4watts.

this usually the export set which uses 462 and 467 mhz frequency. it is illegal to be use in other countries except for US.

the legal ones that can be use in this country is 446mhz frequency but this only have 0.5watts power output. this can be use in europe.

in malaysia the legal frequency is 477mhz that is the same as new zealand and australia. i must admit it is hard to get 477mhz walkie talkie.

in my opinion if want to get walkie talkie, get the approve 446mhz, 8 channel instead of 5 and comes with CTCSS or sub code or privacy channel they call it. get a set that comes with earpiece. this is to conceal it when we use in malaysia shopping center or places like genting island. getting this approve types we can use it in singapore such as the beach, shopping center or event like wedding.

if die die want to get those powerful 4watts walkie talkie yet illegal but can self programme the frequency, seach for puxing in ebay and it will throw out walkies such as px777 or px888. i'm using this walkies for my drive up to the north but each set not pair cost me about $110 and i program it to the legal frequency of 477mhz.

how good are this puxing walkies, test range in singapore, between tiong bahru plaza can reach queenstown area.

regards

Since 477 mhz is the only approved frequency in Malaysia, would that be cross-talk with other walkie talkie whom are also on the same frequency?

BTW, does PX777 comes with privacy channel? to prevent cross talk with other walkie talkies?

I have the T9500XLR.

Says upto 25 miles..... BS.

I can hardly get 1 km away reception in built up areas.

Since 477 mhz is the only approved frequency in Malaysia, would that be cross-talk with other walkie talkie whom are also on the same frequency?

BTW, does PX777 comes with privacy channel? to prevent cross talk with other walkie talkies?

the approve frequencty is 477.0mhz to 477.1mhz. in between the frequency you can have about 8 different chaneels from those preprogramme walkies. if using puxing or like wise types, you can program it from 477.000mhz to 477.999mhz. as usually the programming will be in steps of 5/6.25/10/12.5/25hz.

yup the puxing will comes with 50 privacy channels or ctcss and can store 128 channels

I have the T9500XLR.

Says upto 25 miles..... BS.

I can hardly get 1 km away reception in built up areas.

yup, it only depends on the terrain

btw if u intend to get those so call can program walkies,

please get the range of 400mhz to 480mhz UHF NOT 136mhz-174mhz VHF

btw for my puxing i actually program it to link with those so call 446mhz pmr walkies, i tune it to the correct frequency

↡ Advertisement