All about air filters...

Which air filter will you choose and why?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. OEM Filter vs. Open pod Filter vs. Retail Filter

• OEM Filter
    • Open pod Filter
    • Retail Filter

There are many kind of air filters in the market.

1) The stock(OEM) filter is the norm and I believed that many are using it.

2) The open pod filter (or those carbon fiber type) is more to improve power with a broom-broom thingy (eg. K&N, Simota, etc.).

3) The another drop-in filter is like those similar looking to those OEM filter but with added fixtures (eg. metallic wire mash thingy).

I thought of changing my air filter and need opinions..

↡ Advertisement

Nothing beats stock if u just want to drive from A to B..

2) The open pod filter (or those carbon fiber type) is more to improve power with a broom-broom thingy (eg. K&N, Simota, etc.).

Nice broom broom sound.. but if u depend on just the open pod to give ur car UPZ hp.. i think forget it..

3) The another drop-in filter is like those similar looking to those OEM filter but with added fixtures (eg. metallic wire mash thingy).

tried this when i was itchy hand.. used 3months and had enough of it.. filtration sucks..

[drivingcar]

The retail air filter is reuseable..whereby, the OEM filter must change every 20,000km..

So in the long run, retail air filter is actually more worth it??

I saw a retail air filter with metallic wire mash + lots of filtering and it is very heavy.

So I guessed the filtering should be ok?

Hmmmm... [crazy]

diff people got diff opinions.. but the previous post i made is my POV..

tried S!m0t@ de Stainless steel drop in.. after using for 5K and went to Melaka once with it..

i open up the airbox and still see the filter clean and nice..

i used OEM filter (brand new) to go JB one round and normal driving for 4K nia.. the filter already got the blacken part appearing across the filter..

its not about how heavy..but how closely woven are the filter...

take for example a cotton type vs a paper type vs a metallic SST filter

Best in filtering out dirt will be paper, followed by cotton followed by SST filter..

hold the pc of filter against the sunlight..see how much light passed thru the filter...it will kinda represent how much air flow the filter allows...

are you a teacher?

Supersonic

If you want your engine to have less problem and last a long time, just use oem filters.

really depends on what you expect out of your modifications...

if you are planning on little to no mods, stay stock. provides the best filtration.

if you want to go all the way with intake/manifold/exhaust, get an open pod. better yet, get a carbon encased pod and channel cold air directly into the filter pod. you get increased air flow, responsiveness, added sound (or noise).

some people just want mild gains in terms of responsiveness or just for some added sound effect, then they can opt for the "drop-in" filters.

there's no one-size fits all. u may like a certain setup for its purpose, while i may like it other ways. there's no right or wrong answer if you are trying to get an affirmation or consensus on your next mod.

if ur ride is A/T, i suggest u better dun go for open pod... it's not meant for A/T in the first place... unless u put additional "cover"... [:)]

based on my personal experience.if one really decides to go for open pod.always remember to have it heat shielded.never save on that kind of small money. else just go for cold air intake filter system.

not convinced by how much hot air can open pod suck in without heat shield? get a tuner and check the table for air intake temp .you will be very surprised.

Has it occurred to u that the drop-in has poorer filtration hence it's still 'clean and nice', while the OEM has better filtration and managed to trap dirt which explains the 'blacken part'?

diff people got diff opinions.. but the previous post i made is my POV..

tried S!m0t@ de Stainless steel drop in.. after using for 5K and went to Melaka once with it..

i open up the airbox and still see the filter clean and nice..

i used OEM filter (brand new) to go JB one round and normal driving for 4K nia.. the filter already got the blacken part appearing across the filter..

Supersonic

Has it occurred to u that the drop-in has poorer filtration hence it's still 'clean and nice', while the OEM has better filtration and managed to trap dirt which explains the 'blacken part'?

Just like some people boast how clean their engine oil is after x km.

It is simply not cleaning the engine. That's why it's clean.

Leave the OEM filter alone. Dirty just replace. Dun risk damaging your air sensor with an aftermarket air filter.

The purpose of an air filter is to filter away grease & fine particles. It does not give you any form of significant performance. The OEM foam & paper filter is still the best.

those aftermarket air filter claim to give better power and acceleration. i think its nothing but gimmicks. there is a reason why stock is the best.

i can't imagine a hurricane air filter selling at more than $100+, and yet still got people buy.

The retail air filter is reuseable..whereby, the OEM filter must change every 20,000km..

I saw a retail air filter with metallic wire mash + lots of filtering and it is very heavy.

Hmmmm... [crazy]

You want clean air or more air?

If you want clean air, please stay stock.

If you want more air, please go ahead with whatever retail filter that catches yr eye :D

Both are mutually exclusive. More air means more dust. You can't have both.

There are a lot of threads in the forum about air filters. Do a search. I am sure you can get a lot of information from here.

However, if you are itchy hand and/or it makes you loses sleep over it, please proceed to go and change for some experience. [laugh]

Hmmmm... [crazy]

Long run..retail filter like K&N are more worth it as it is re-usuable. And perfroamnce of filter will be better if you do regular cleaning and maintanence.

But do bear in mind for the retail filter , unless you DIY with the proper cleaning kit or your trusted mech do the cleaning properly for you, it's better to stick to OEM as it's more easier to adopt a 'throw and fit new filter' type of regime , when it's time to change the filter.

I was thinking about air filters box design.....

Why is there no aftermarket parts that allow for TWO original air filters to be install?

If what we want is more air into the engine, then whouldn't there be a market for a resonator box that allows one to install two or more original air filters? Aka more surface area for air flow into the engine.

A typical resonator intake box is a cube with six sides, I am sure there is a way to redesign the box to allow two or more(5 max) sides for placing the original air filters to be installed.

This will surely be a better design as it gives good original filtration and reduce the air pressure drop (due to increased surface area) into the engine!

↡ Advertisement