Tour de France

Macrosszero

Any cycling fans here?

After a few year's absence Lance Armstrong is back in the peloton this year. Though he's not the team leader this time round on the Astana team, it may be a gambit to give the other teams a lot to think about. Is he going to be a domestique, or is he the real leader as the race pans out?

His 10th place on the first stage does tell us that he's still got the fitness to be near the front, and his forte is endurance over 3 weeks as well as the mountain stages.

Given that Tour de France is all about team tactics it will be interesting to watch what Astana's plans are. I would find it hard to believe that a 5-time champion with that sort of star attraction would join a team and accept a supporting role though.

The race is now live on Starhub Channel 113.

↡ Advertisement

... a 5-time champion..

7-time champion.

Watching TDF on Ch 113 as well. Suprisingly, EuroSport is broadcasting the race 'live' everyday. There was no broadcast last year. I remember having to watch is via the web. If only it's in HD. Still, better than nothing.

When Armstrong was asked who would be the leader, he couldn't answer it.

(edited)

Tour de France - Armstrong demands Astana backing

Eurosport - Tue, 07 Jul 10:23:00 2009

Tour de France legend Lance Armstrong said he must be backed by Astana after overtaking team leader and hot favourite Alberto Contador in this year's General Classification.

The 37-year-old Texan, returning to the race for the first time since his last win in 2005, went 19 seconds clear of Contador after the Spaniard was caught up at the back of the peloton on stage three.

"I am not okay with that theory saying there can be only one team leader," said Armstrong. "I have won seven Tours de France - I will have to be counted in."

The peloton split into two around 40km from the finish after a sudden burst of acceleration by Team Columbia-HTC in strong crosswinds which surprised nearly all the favourites.

"Whenever you see a team lined up at the front like that, you have to pay attention," Armstrong added.

"You know what the wind is doing, and you see that a turn is coming up, so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that you have to go to the front."

With no other big favourite in the front group, Armstrong's team-mates Haimar Zubeldia and Yaroslav Popovych eventually helped Columbia widen the gap.

"We didn't ride for a long time, and then at the end we put some guys on the front to ride but the vast majority of the work was done by other people," said Armstrong.

"I have won the Tour de France seven times, why wouldn't we ride at the front? That makes no sense why you wouldn't ride."

Astana sports director Alain Gallopin denied that there were problems within the team.

"There are no troubles at all in our team, it's even the contrary," he said. "If there had been Armstrong and (Saxo Bank's) Andy Schleck up front, that would have been a problem.

"There will be no problem tonight or tomorrow."

Contador said what happened was unlikely to change his fate.

"I do want to comment on the tactics of the team," he said. "Everyone can draw their own conclusions. Anyway, the Tour will not be decided with what has happened today. It's just a race incident."

Astana will ride a team time-trial on Tuesday and should they smash the competition, Armstrong could snatch the yellow jersey.

"Never say never," the American warned.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like he's positioning himself early to usurp the team leader role

Edited by Macrosszero

We know that his previous wins, he was a superb climber. We wouldnt see him winning many stages but it is the climb stages that he really striked hard then. We shall see how Armstrong goes in this TDF.

Btw, has Lemond persistence on Armstrong's usage of drugs earlier with a certain doctor died down?

Lance almost wear Yellow Jersey tonite.

In GC, 5 of astana riders dominated top 10:

2. Lance Armstrong

3. Alberto Contador

4. Andreas Kloden

5. Levi Leiphemer

Haha look like same pic for both years! The ladies look as if they were the same ladies and the winner Chris Froome is definitely the same cyclist [laugh]

Yesh! I hope the one on the left in 2016 marries me!

• Praise 1

(edited)

Haha look like same pic for both years! The ladies look as if they were the same ladies and the winner Chris Froome is definitely the same cyclist [laugh]

Team sky has the best domestique to protect Chris.  Team sky is always at the front to wear down the rival.  

Look at the top 20 of final GC classification:

Final general classification # Rider Name (Country) Team Result 1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 89:04:48   2 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:04:05   3 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 0:04:21   4 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica-BikeExchange 0:04:42   5 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:05:17   6 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:06:16   7 Joaquim Rodriguez (Spa) Team Katusha 0:06:58   8 Louis Meintjes (RSA) Lampre - Merida     9 Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:07:04   10 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Tinkoff Team 0:07:11   11 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo 0:13:13   12 Sergio Henao (Col) Team Sky 0:18:51   13 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:19:20   14 Sébastien Reichenbach (Swi) FDJ 0:24:59   15 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky 0:28:31   16 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Cannondale-Drapac 0:30:42   17 Mikel Nieve (Spa) Team Sky 0:38:30   18 Stef Clement (Ned) IAM Cycling 0:38:57   19 Jarlinson Pantano (Col) IAM Cycling 0:38:59   20 Alexis Vuillermoz (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:42:28

That's how strong Team Sky is

Yesh! I hope the one on the left in 2016 marries me!

Edited by Davidtch
  • Praise 2

Team sky has the best domestique to protect Chris.  Team sky is always at the front to wear down the rival.  

Look at the top 20 of final GC classification:

Final general classification # Rider Name (Country) Team Result 1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 89:04:48   2 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:04:05   3 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 0:04:21   4 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica-BikeExchange 0:04:42   5 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:05:17   6 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:06:16   7 Joaquim Rodriguez (Spa) Team Katusha 0:06:58   8 Louis Meintjes (RSA) Lampre - Merida     9 Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:07:04   10 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Tinkoff Team 0:07:11   11 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo 0:13:13   12 Sergio Henao (Col) Team Sky 0:18:51   13 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:19:20   14 Sébastien Reichenbach (Swi) FDJ 0:24:59   15 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky 0:28:31   16 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Cannondale-Drapac 0:30:42   17 Mikel Nieve (Spa) Team Sky 0:38:30   18 Stef Clement (Ned) IAM Cycling 0:38:57   19 Jarlinson Pantano (Col) IAM Cycling 0:38:59   20 Alexis Vuillermoz (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:42:28

That's how strong Team Sky is

Yes Team Sky is indeed strong and they were even stronger few years back when Bradley Wiggins was in the team but as in all teams, you can't have 2 chefs so sadly 1 had to go.

With Mark Cavendish gunning for Olympics Gold, I'm not sure if Froome and Wiggins, the defending champ (I think) will also participate? The Brits would have a good chance of a clean sweep if that happens!!

• Praise 5

Yes Team Sky is indeed strong and they were even stronger few years back when Bradley Wiggins was in the team but as in all teams, you can't have 2 chefs so sadly 1 had to go.

With Mark Cavendish gunning for Olympics Gold, I'm not sure if Froome and Wiggins, the defending champ (I think) will also participate? The Brits would have a good chance of a clean sweep if that happens!!

It is getting boring with such a strong team to watch on TV.  Luckily, still got Peter Sagan.

Brits definitely has higher chance to win with Cav in the team.

Looks like we share similar taste in women (the one on the left)  :a-fun:

2015 right and 2016 left look like the same girl?

Based on the photo, 2015 Right.

2011 Tour winner Cadel Evans was in Singapore on 15 July.  He did a morning ride here with a bunch of locals.

Did you ride with him?