Jaguar XF

Peaceracer

Neutral Newbie

Any future XF model announced? I guess that the latest facelift was done only in 2011.

Yes. The announcement came out a month ago.

New Petrol

XF 2.0T with 237hp and 340Nm (will replace the current XF 3.0).

XF 3.0S with 335hp and 450Nm (will replace the current XF 5.0).

Revised Diesel

XF 2.2D with 161hp and 400Nm.

XF 2.2D with 197hp and 450Nm.

These cars should be here in Q4 2012.

↡ Advertisement

Jaguar resale value sucks. New $253K. 2011 model asking $171K.

I had been looking for a used XF and XJ, if the price is attractive. $171K looks ok, if it is still within warranty period.

Neutral Newbie

Yes. The announcement came out a month ago.

New Petrol

XF 2.0T with 237hp and 340Nm (will replace the current XF 3.0).

XF 3.0S with 335hp and 450Nm (will replace the current XF 5.0).

Revised Diesel

XF 2.2D with 161hp and 400Nm.

XF 2.2D with 197hp and 450Nm.

These cars should be here in Q4 2012.

Any source?

you are paying into its branding, nothing much to shout about really.

i had so much more issue for the first 3 mth than my Japanese MPV which i had for 2.5year! Then again, it just feel better in it.

Jag was never in our shortlist until we chance upon the new facelift. i must say its interior beats Merc hands down.

who buy conti doesnt consider the brand? if dont consider, might as well jap ride. no?

actually at the moment only mercs have good resale value for contis. not even audi and bmw. if want to buy contis, cannot care too much about resale value. Just buy and enjoy! [laugh]

Current model of bmw(and merc) have very good resale value. In fact, the resale value is so good that depreciation for some <2year old car is actually higher than a brand new car from pml and c&c. The only catch is car must be of current model. Once change new model, the resale value will drop like siao. Probably a "face" issue of driving an old model.

I recently test drove the Jaguar XF 2L petrol. Really loved it, exterior and interior looked great. It was beautiful in the photos, but looked even nicer in real life. It still has maintained that sense of conservative luxury. Car is quiet but has a powerful drive, cranking out 240HP. Before i was looking at this model, i was actually considering the C class. But i was really dismayed at what the C class was offering for the amount of brand premium it was extracting 40-50k. so-so drive, funny start stop system that only worked liked 20mins into the test drive.

Anyway the current promo is priced at $199,999.

- 6 bids non guaranteed

- No servicing package (top up 4k for it. Servicing package is 3yrs or 48k, whichever comes first. Just pay 4k and within the service warranty, dun need to pay anything for any servicing. Was strongly advised to get this)

- min $80k loan @2.6% interest for 5 years (OCBC, Hong Leong) (top up 5k for no loan)

Car comes with 3yrs warranty or 100k, whichever comes first.

They are basically selling this car flat at cost or even at a slight loss based on current COE of 73k.

Servicing package i feel is very hard to nego. Loan penalty if one doesn't want to take can probably be reduced.

I really feel this is a much more worth it buy compared to other cars. Now strongly considering this model... hmm

If you really want to buy, I think you can further negotiate with the servicing package. Very likely they will give you free. Last month, jaguar sale is 19 as compare to previous month 23,27,39,20,40,29,31.

I recently test drove the Jaguar XF 2L petrol. Really loved it, exterior and interior looked great. It was beautiful in the photos, but looked even nicer in real life. It still has maintained that sense of conservative luxury. Car is quiet but has a powerful drive, cranking out 240HP. Before i was looking at this model, i was actually considering the C class. But i was really dismayed at what the C class was offering for the amount of brand premium it was extracting 40-50k. so-so drive, funny start stop system that only worked liked 20mins into the test drive.

Anyway the current promo is priced at $199,999.

- 6 bids non guaranteed

- No servicing package (top up 4k for it. Servicing package is 3yrs or 48k, whichever comes first. Just pay 4k and within the service warranty, dun need to pay anything for any servicing. Was strongly advised to get this)

- min $80k loan @2.6% interest for 5 years (OCBC, Hong Leong) (top up 5k for no loan)

Car comes with 3yrs warranty or 100k, whichever comes first.

They are basically selling this car flat at cost or even at a slight loss based on current COE of 73k.

Servicing package i feel is very hard to nego. Loan penalty if one doesn't want to take can probably be reduced.

I really feel this is a much more worth it buy compared to other cars. Now strongly considering this model... hmm

I just asked them but seems like Wearnes trade in value for the used car is really bad and they dun have any offer for over trade. So after calculating, it is not worth it.

I just asked them but seems like Wearnes trade in value for the used car is really bad and they dun have any offer for over trade. So after calculating, it is not worth it.

Your depreciation when selling the car is limited already because Wearnes is selling you a car at cost or even at slight loss based on latest COE of 73k. This is different from say the ridiculous C class that has a premium of 40-50k. Also this would definitely affect the overtrade. Wearnes already got nothing to make from selling this car, how to give overtrade? Merc already makes so much only want to give you 5k overtrade and make you feel damn rich for buying their car and selling your car to them.

Am doing my sums and seeing whether worth getting it now, also have to factor in how much i have to sell my Hyundai for.

PML and C&C always make buyers feel their deal is very worth it by playing with overtrade. Actually their margins is already so fat, giving overtrade of 5-7k means nothing. After giving overtrade, C&C is still making fat margins of around 50k for the new C180. Whereas Wearnes selling almost at cost for the XF with no overtrade. So which is a better deal? Why is it not worth it? I dun quite understand. You expect them to sell at negative margins with overtrade?

Currently right now from what I know, their only margins comes only from the slightly higher interest loan rates which you need to get from them. Even that is going to be less than 10k compared to the margins made by C&C and PML which is easily 5-6 times more.

• Praise 1

PML and C&C always make buyers feel their deal is very worth it by playing with overtrade. Actually their margins is already so fat, giving overtrade of 5-7k means nothing. After giving overtrade, C&C is still making fat margins of around 50k for the new C180. Whereas Wearnes selling almost at cost for the XF with no overtrade. So which is a better deal? Why is it not worth it? I dun quite understand. You expect them to sell at negative margins with overtrade?

Currently right now from what I know, their only margins comes only from the slightly higher interest loan rates which you need to get from them. Even that is going to be less than 10k compared to the margins made by C&C and PML which is easily 5-6 times more.

Case 1

A $200k price tag allows you take loan of up to $100k. Owner's equity $100k. Couple with no more discount, poor trade in price, min loan $80k 5 years at 2.6%. Customer feel good factor is zero or near zero.

Case 2

A $225k price tag allows you to take loan of up to $112.5k. Overtrade thrown in at $12.5k. trade in price no longer an issue even tho base trade in value is still the same as case 1. Min loan $80k 4 years at 2.28%. Net, buyer still pay $100k downpayment. Diff between 2.6-2.28 = 0.32 over 4 years for $112.5k is only $1440. AD sells car for net total of $211,060 (after counting in the diff in interest rate). Customer is happy even tho paying more, took more loan, but he thinks he gets a better deal.

Which is better strategy?

I would always make the customer feel good by pricing high and giving them back through rebate. It's human psychology.

Secondly, by pricing new high, used resale price will also be kept high, thus giving customers another perception of good value.

Thirdly, customers who can barely afford it, can take more loan with less up front downpayment.

Triple win.

Funny I realize I can't find any new jag xf in the resale market. the 2.0T engine has been around for quite some time already right? even brand new models have 2nd hand options in the market almost immediately the new model was launched.

• Praise 1

Yes, C&C can easily offer 15K for your trade-in value. But do compare its OMV and sell price between both cars.

More importanly, test drive both cars and look at the interior details. As for resale value, all cars are equally bad these days...no dealer willing to take in a 4-5yr old ride. Unless you are selling it yourself, then yes, Merc has a bigger pool of willing buyers than Jag.

Not forgetting first 3 yrs servicing. I have driven Merc for many years and I know their service really sucks (maybe unless i can afford a SLS). I have heard many good comments from wearnes customers including Jag and Volvo.

Which is better strategy?

I would always make the customer feel good by pricing high and giving them back through rebate. It's human psychology.

Secondly, by pricing new high, used resale price will also be kept high, thus giving customers another perception of good value.

Thirdly, customers who can barely afford it, can take more loan with less up front downpayment.

Triple win.

• Praise 1

Yes, C&C can easily offer 15K for your trade-in value. But do compare its OMV and sell price between both cars.

More importanly, test drive both cars and look at the interior details. As for resale value, all cars are equally bad these days...no dealer willing to take in a 4-5yr old ride. Unless you are selling it yourself, then yes, Merc has a bigger pool of willing buyers than Jag.

Not forgetting first 3 yrs servicing. I have driven Merc for many years and I know their service really sucks (maybe unless i can afford a SLS). I have heard many good comments from wearnes customers including Jag and Volvo.

The other factor is reliability. Is jaguar as reliable as mercedes?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1