Kenna speeding fine in Australia....how

S2077s

i jus received an A$80 speeding fine (exceed by 13km/h) from Govt. of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia in a rented car. How? Can i don't pay the fine.....can they come after me or something like that? Can i visit Australia again ever if i dont pay?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

The exact same thing happened to a friend a couple years ago in a rental, also in Sydney. He came off a highway into city limits, thinking to maintain the same kind of speed and got radared by a patrol car. NSW state police are quite on in comparison to others.

His Ozzy friends told him just bo-chap and go home. He actually received a letter sent to his address in SG which I think the police may have got from the rental company. It was only one letter. But I think they write it off and close the case after a few years if they don't find you. A$80 not worth the trouble.

My friend did return but went in through Victoria. I think the states don't share jurisdiction, on minor traffic offenses at least, so it's ok to enter this way if you are worried. Don't know about going through NSW immigration though.

• Praise 2

I've got 1 ticket in 1998, driving my bro's car. excess 10km/h

another 1 ticket in 2002, on a rented car, excess 30hm/h

both in W.A.

subsequently went W.A. in 2006, 2007, 2009. nothing happens.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

you should pay up. if not they may arrest you at the customs [sweatdrop]

i got 1 speeding ticket (exceed 20KMH) and 4 illegal parking in Perth during 2003 for my rented car.

i vistied Perth again in 2005, 2006 and 2008, nothing happen leh.

Edited by Mcf777
  • Praise 1

Usually there's a sub clause in your rental agreement stating that the rental company will settle the offenses for you for a fee.

if you are using a credit card, they will charge it to your credit card after a few months.

• Praise 1

(edited)

no worries mate. i'm surprised how they got your address, you volunteered it to rental company? when i go abroad check in hotel, rent car etc, i never give my sg address. contact number email yes, never address.

Edited by Toapayohkid
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Ya, you all say don't care, but if it happen in 1 day, you are stopped at checkpoints due to all the outstanding fine, it will cause a lot of inconvenience...or delay...If committed offence, pay it.

• Praise 1

I i kenna almost A$600+++ worth of fines for 4 offences in melb. but paid up all cuz my gf was studying there den.. so cannot run. 3 parking offences, must say the fatimahs there damn on. and 1 more for beating red light by 0.6 secs. YES! they stated 0.8secs! fug... that cost a$200++

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

If you intend to visit NSW again in the near future, I'll advise you to pay up. If you don't intend to go back to the same state, then it's quite alright. Different states have their own administrative systems. E.g. NSW, Western Australia, Victoria etc each has it's own rules. If it is a rental car, don't go back to the same rental car company within the next 3 years. However, don't be stopped at a police stop road block doing random check for drink driving etc. They will key your particulars into the system and hey presto, God Bless You. You may be taken to the police station and will not be released until you pay the fine including administration charges which can be quite substantial. As someone has said, have peace of mind and a clear conscience "O$P$". In mandarin "Her Koo".

• Praise 1

In the big scheme of things, A$80 will not make you rich or poor.

In 10 years time, you will not even feel the impact of the A$80 in your bank account.

Just pay up and have peace of mind.

A bit like people who try to save $0.50 on parking coupons.

Won't make the rich or poor.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1