Kenna speeding fine in Australia....how

S2077s

Neutral Newbie

hi, i received a traffic fine too from WA, aus. as im back in sg, is there a way for me to pay up the fine from here? thx in advance!

↡ Advertisement

Was in Melbourne in 2008 on driving trip on rental car from Hertz.

1-2 month on return, got charged additional $100++ on my credit card from the car rental company for traffic offence fine....

However, don't be stopped at a police stop road block doing random check for drink driving etc. They will key your particulars into the system and hey presto, God Bless You.

Key your head lah! You think they have so much time to key your particulars during a random breath check? Can you imagine how long the jam will be if the constable firstly asks for ID, then keys the pertinent info in, then wait for the database to find the correct person and check for any outstanding fines!

Please, don't ever join any policy making body! You might just be too good!

i jus received an A$80 speeding fine (exceed by 13km/h) from Govt. of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia in a rented car. How? Can i don't pay the fine.....can they come after me or something like that? Can i visit Australia again ever if i dont pay?

Fvck 'em. Just ignore the fine. Australia is the world's most draconian speed trap merchants in the world. UK sent down a platoon of officers just to learn how to be as draconian as the Aussies.

But I do know that more and more rental car companies are teaming up with the Aussie police, most will now ask you for credit card details, just so that they can charge your card after you have left the country, as some forummers have already experienced here!

I just received a letter yesterday for an offence committed in early Feb 09 in Perth! Apparently the highway limit was 70km/h but they said I drove at 92km/h. And fine is very high: AU$368! Still thinking about what to do.

I just received a letter yesterday for an offence committed in early Feb 09 in Perth! Apparently the highway limit was 70km/h but they said I drove at 92km/h. And fine is very high: AU$368! Still thinking about what to do.

Ignore it, is my advice to you.

Aussie dollar is at a high now against the SGD, you will be paying 368*1.3 = SGD$478.40

You think your "crime" deserves that? No, I don't either!

i jus received an A$80 speeding fine (exceed by 13km/h) from Govt. of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia in a rented car. How? Can i don't pay the fine.....can they come after me or something like that? Can i visit Australia again ever if i dont pay?

How the Stupid Aussie Gahment check until your Sg address [speechless]

They must have got it from the rental company. The thing is that the address on the envelope is incomplete. Only has block number and street name. Does not have unit number. Singpost must have done extra work to trace it to me.

Ya, a traffic fine of almost S$500 is very high. I checked our own traffic police website. In S'pore, exceed by 20km/h is only S$150. What a big difference.

i also kena fine long time ago in melbourne. but they actually sent to the wrong addr but somehow the letter got to me. anyway i din pay & went bak melbourne. no issue.

on that occasion that i went bak there, my friend who was driving kena stopped for speeding in a small town. when we came bak, my friend wrote in to appeal & besides saying the std story being a tourist dun know the small town traffic rules, he also stated that his driving record in sg is excellent (he used the 5% ncb rebate printout to show proof). in the end the offence was waived (they wrote bak).

i also kena parking fine in sweden (>$100!!!). wrote in saying tourist blah blah blah & they actually bothered to reply & waive the fine! otherwise the rental company (hertz) would hv to deduct the $$ fr credit card.

so, best if u take some time to write in, they may appreciate that & waive the fine. they may also promote aussie tourism by waiving the fine :-)

Ya, a traffic fine of almost S$500 is very high. I checked our own traffic police website. In S'pore, exceed by 20km/h is only S$150. What a big difference.

That's cause Aussies value lives, Singaporeans don't, a funeral is a good place to gamble!

Last time I got two speeding fines.

One in Great Ocean Road - AUD400.

One in Melbourne - AUD200.

I do not know what will happen if you decided not to pay.

I end up paying the fines to safeguard trouble when I intend to visit Australia again..

However, I got a friend who also got speeding fine and he did not pay up.

Till now, he did not visit Australia and nothing happen to him.

You choose your path.

Edited by Ladykillerz

Neutral Newbie

Just to share. I resided in Perth for 4 years. I remembered vivdly Channel Seven ran a 4 part news-documentary series on the WA Traffic Police. One particular episode featured unpaid traffic offences. It is true that most offences by tourist are often not responded. These will have to be subsequently write-offed. But they listed the top 5 nationalities of unpaid offences. And no surprise, Singaporeans are in the top 2. The Officers interviewed said that they have very low opinions of tourist drivers from Singapore. Doesn't help that Singapore is also the highest tourist drivers casualties in WA.

My advise is dont be "chao kwan". If you did wrong, please be ethical and pay up the fines. However, if you have an explanation, just write in and see how it goes. The Aussies are very reasonable people and i am sure you do want wish the Singapore reputation to be tainted.

Edited by Optix

Traffic fines are given by POLICE OFFICERS.

When entering Aus you meet the IMMIGRATION OFFICERS.

Some say they have outstanding fines but didn't get anything when re-entering Aus. OF COURSE LA! They are different groups of officers mah! When you have outstanding fines in SG you also don't get anything when leaving or entering SG. Same thing, cos SPF and ICA are different groups handing different matters (even though they are both under the same ministry). Unless it's a big crime like murder then yeah, they will work together to catch you. But traffic fines?

Wait till you come face to face with Aus Police. Can be for anything... to report robbery or kena traffic accident, etc. That is when they will "remind" you of your outstanding fines. And it might not be A$80 by then. In SG a S$10 traffic fine will become S$XX, then $XXX and lastly become court case if you don't pay. I'm sure Aus has some similar system.

Suggest that you either pay up or appeal. Don't sit on a time bomb.

Thanks for all the advice. I've sent them an email just to confirm the details of the incident, e.g. exact location, direction of travel, time etc. I'll explain to them that I just arrived Perth that afternoon, that S'pore highway limit is 90km/h, and that I have no record of any traffic offences anywhere etc, and see how it goes. If all else fails, I guess I'll pay up.

Neutral Newbie

Crap.. Illegal parked in perth. Just got mail from Bayswater which i rented the car from. This little note was all they sent "A $25 administration fee for each traffic-infringement, that needed swearing before a JP; in addition to the fine" - Authorities will forward details in 2 weeks.

I filled in all information on the car rental form. So they could reach me so easily.. yeh stupid me.

any idea wads gonna happen if i dont pay the fine?