Mazda RX8 6-speed automatic with Active Adaptive Shift

Mikeyeo

I was recently at Mazda Motor to view the new facelift Mazda RX8 6-speed automatic and Active Adaptive Shift as I always long to own one. However, during my queries with the salesperson who attended to me, the latter informed me that I must check the engine oil level after every 2 full tanks of petrol as it consumes alot of the engine oil.

When I mentioned that this was the first time that I heard of this, she told me that all current RX8 owners are fully aware of the above. On hearing that, my heart sank as I love the curvaceous and sexy external body of the new car.

I would like to hear from current RX8 owners as to whether the statement by the salesperson to me is correct. Thanks

↡ Advertisement

I think it is true. 2 of my friends own RX8 and they have to check the oil level very often (not sure if it is once every 2 full tank). But they are enjoying the ride and didn't complaint about having to check the oil level often.

Turbocharged

not an RX8 owner..but the part about the rotary engine consuming engine oil is true..but the 'check after every 2 full tank' is prob exaggerated..and if i didn't remember wrongly, servicing/top up oil for rotary engine is every 5000km..

No worries broz, the only troublesome part is topping up. Machiam 2 stroke bike, need to top up oil.

But depending on how hard u drive.

Rx8 is using Mineral Oil. Cheap cheap, 1bot/4L cost onli $30.

Normal servicing every 5000km, 1 bot of mineral oil + oil filter.

Less then $50.

[thumbsup]

I was recently at Mazda Motor to view the new facelift Mazda RX8 6-speed automatic and Active Adaptive Shift as I always long to own one. However, during my queries with the salesperson who attended to me, the latter informed me that I must check the engine oil level after every 2 full tanks of petrol as it consumes alot of the engine oil.

When I mentioned that this was the first time that I heard of this, she told me that all current RX8 owners are fully aware of the above. On hearing that, my heart sank as I love the curvaceous and sexy external body of the new car.

I would like to hear from current RX8 owners as to whether the statement by the salesperson to me is correct. Thanks

Have to top up every 1.5 months. Service every 3 months. RX8 is meant to drive HARD i.e redline as often as you can. If u dun wanna drive it hard, move along and get another car.

Neutral Newbie

i am a rx8 owner. change oil every 5000 km.

top up oil (about 1 litre) between 2000 km to 2500 km....which is about every 1.5 months for me

i drive quite hard some times

its not that bad....

You can afford to buy a $100+++K machine and you are worried about the engine oil top up?

[confused]

I believe TS is more concern about carrying out the constant oil check every 2 tank fuel up.

Have you ever seen a F1 driver doing the oil check????hehehe

Just purchased a pre-FL(PI) unit couple of months back.

Yes, you need to check oil level often as its used to lubricate the apex seals. Because of this, mineral oil is recommended as it burns easily and does not leave any residue behind. Idemitsu makes a rotary compatible synthetic oil which cost $180 per service with labour and oil filter.

Usually check once a month, oil gets consumed faster if car is driven hard.

Due to the design of the system, at least 2qts of oil are left in the oil coolers. Thus its better and also cheaper to service every 5K using mineral oil.

Engine has weak torque thus you need to rev it; revs very smoothly with a nice drone though.

Drinks RON98 only.

Cabin(especially boot) tends to get warm, was not used to it initially and I thought something was wrong. Its also not uncommon for center console and shifter to feel warm.

Nice car to drive but uncomfortable for long distance cruising.

Just purchased a pre-FL(PI) unit couple of months back.

Yes, you need to check oil level often as its used to lubricate the apex seals. Because of this, mineral oil is recommended as it burns easily and does not leave any residue behind. Idemitsu makes a rotary compatible synthetic oil which cost $180 per service with labour and oil filter.

Usually check once a month, oil gets consumed faster if car is driven hard.

Due to the design of the system, at least 2qts of oil are left in the oil coolers. Thus its better and also cheaper to service every 5K using mineral oil.

Engine has weak torque thus you need to rev it; revs very smoothly with a nice drone though.

Drinks RON98 only.

Cabin(especially boot) tends to get warm, was not used to it initially and I thought something was wrong. Its also not uncommon for center console and shifter to feel warm.

Nice car to drive but uncomfortable for long distance cruising.

U should rephrase, "IT not only drinks RON98, it drinks RON95 too."

[scholar]

i remember it can take ron95, not sure about the new rx8. the rotary doesnt work well with an auto becos it thrives on high revs. so a manual is better. if not, you're basically paying for looks. rotary drinks oil. about 2 weeks check once should be more than enuf. if not, check once a month. anyway, car must svc every 5k. and oil is cheap cos using mineral.

Thus its better and also cheaper to service every 5K using mineral oil.

Not entirely true. Cheaper to use mineral oil but rotary synthetic is definitely the way to go. I found the difference in driving experience to be day and night....