Can car insurance be transfer from 1st owner to 2nd owner?

Plusnplus

Neutral Newbie

Hi all,

if buy 2nd hand car, beside change the ownership car, is the insurance owner ship also change?

say the car just renew the insurance.

thanks for any reply

↡ Advertisement

From my understanding, Car insurance is not transferable. The seller has to cancel the car insurance to get back the remaining amount and the buyer need to buy the insurance in order to drive the car.

Hi all,

if buy 2nd hand car, beside change the ownership car, is the insurance owner ship also change?

thanks for any reply

Insurance is not transferable ... [nod]

The new owner for the ride must get his/her insurance ... [nod]

Hi all,

thanks for any reply

if just renewed 1 - 2 months probably can get back pro rated refund, depending on the terms and conditions, cannot be transferred to new owner.

last time I sold my car and the o/s insurance was NTUC, refund is only 80% of the pro rated amount unless the insurance for the new car also goes to NTUC, then get back 100% of the pro rated.

hmm..then wat abt this

cos the car insurance is under my name but it due for renewal in dec

is it possible to use my mum name to renew instead of mine ?

hmm..then wat abt this

cos the car insurance is under my name but it due for renewal in dec

is it possible to use my mum name to renew instead of mine ?

Unless your mum is the owner for your ride else don't think it is possible to use her name ... [nod]

Jus like why some like to use their parents name to register for their rides so as to get lower premiums as insurance charges based on age, occupation & number of years of driving experience [;)]

ok, i sold my ride in june, renewed insurance in march.

I received prorated refund for the insurance paid. Road tax cannot refund.

Transfer of insurance is not possible.

Insurance must be purchased under car owner's name and if owner does not have licence or not driving car, the insurance must put name of intended driver.

So in your case, if the car is registered under your name, insurance must be under your name. If you want to take advantage of the cheaper insurance under your mum's name, you have to transfer ownership of car to your mum. And that will cost money.

Hope this helps.

How can transfer? The insurance premium is base on the owwer's experience, age, accident record. If a 50% NCD, 40++yrs old man transferred to 18 years old, less than 1 yr experience, like that the new 18yrs old owner benefit.. So don't think can like that transfer

Most of the time, the NCB cannot be transferred from one driver to another. However, when I bought a new car under my name and scrap the old car which was under my dad's name, I got the 50% NCB as I was driving the old car most of the time. Hence do check with the agent. This may be a special case then and do note that I was above 30 years old and there was no claim.

Regards

That is a transfer of NCB and cos it is between parents and kids + the fact your dad was driving before the car was crapped and he doesn't own any other car.

But it cannot be done, if TS's mum doesn't have NCB (I am assuming) to begin with or she owns another car.

Neutral Newbie

Sorry guy i can't post a new topic, may i know what the recommendation insurance company because i just bought a new car and can't decide it. I'm still new here...

ok, i sold my ride in june, renewed insurance in march.

I received prorated refund for the insurance paid. Road tax cannot refund.

Transfer of insurance is not possible.

Insurance must be purchased under car owner's name and if owner does not have licence or not driving car, the insurance must put name of intended driver.

So in your case, if the car is registered under your name, insurance must be under your name. If you want to take advantage of the cheaper insurance under your mum's name, you have to transfer ownership of car to your mum. And that will cost money.

Hope this helps.

roadtax can refund also if your car has been de-reg lar........ unless ur dealer did not de-reg the car then maybe cannot....... I forgot if change ownership can rebate roadtax anot..... but i think cannot..

Edited by Galantspeedz
↡ Advertisement