Opel zafira or citroen grand c4 better for overall?

Plusnplus

Opel Zafira is a German marque, made in Germany.

Citroen Picasso Grand is a French marque, made in Spain.

I'd chose a made in Germany product any time.

I have tested both and think that the Zafira is overall more solid.

The only thing I don't quite like is the MTA transmission.

I have had to pre-empt / expect each gear up change, release the accelerator pedal slightly and then depress it again, if I want to smoothen the in-between-gear jerks upon acceleration from start.

Otherwise, the Zafira's doors close better and its hydraulic power steering handles with much more aplomb than the Citroen's very light electric power steering.

However, in terms of clever fittings inside, I'd think the Citroen has an upper edge here, though the plastics used are still el cheapo. Moreover, I don't like the moonroof that comes standard.

↡ Advertisement

Opel Zafira is a German marque, made in Germany.

Citroen Picasso Grand is a French marque, made in Spain.

I'd chose a made in Germany product any time.

I have tested both and think that the Zafira is overall more solid.

The only thing I don't quite like is the MTA transmission.

I have had to pre-empt / expect each gear up change, release the accelerator pedal slightly and then depress it again, if I want to smoothen the in-between-gear jerks upon acceleration from start.

Otherwise, the Zafira's doors close better and its hydraulic power steering handles with much more aplomb than the Citroen's very light electric power steering.

However, in terms of clever fittings inside, I'd think the Citroen has an upper edge here, though the plastics used are still el cheapo. Moreover, I don't like the moonroof that comes standard.

I agree on what you mention about Zafira... what more.. I have been driving and owned( combined myself, parents and brothers ) the many different models of Opel for the last 12 years! I've personally driven and owned the Astra F, 2x Astra G. Parents and brothers are driving the Vectra B, Astra H, Corsa D, Zafira and Meriva.

Known Opel inside out and also the kind of service centre that we have. Its a truly solid car to be had.. almost maintenance free despite being thrown all over place.

I would have easily opted for Zafira.. but after 12 years of driving the wonderful dynamics of Opel.. I would like to try something slightly different taste.

Edited by Quirky_ster

For Citroens, I think the WRC-type, Loeb-driven cars are good, from the previous Xsara, to the current C4 VTS Coupe (which C&C has stopped bringing in).

The only thing to watch out for is Citroen's 4AT transmission (which it shares with Peugeot and Renault) for medium-sized cars, which is known for its 'reliability' problems.

Otherwise, I think both these cars handle very well indeed, even without Citroen's famed hydro-pneumatic suspensions. If fact, I think the Xsara is still one-up over the C4 re overall handling prowess ... somehow, the C4's suspensions are set a bit too high, IMHO.

As for C&C, I find it disgusting that they are now marketing the normal C4 hatchback with 1.6 TC engine (not the C4 Coupe VTS WRC-type car that Loeb actually drives) and calling it the "Loeb Version". The exterior shape of the two cars are completely different! And there is NOTHING Loeb about it.

This is what I call marketing incest.

But the co-developed BMW-PSA 1.6 engine is a beaut ..... same used in the MINI Cooper (NA) and Cooper S (TC), although I have my own reservations on Valvetronic technology.

French cars can be good, but only if they upgrade their electronics' reliability. This is my view only.

Driving a meriva, also on mta, actually prefer the mta as I like manual cars more.... this is the closest I can get to manual... Test driven Zaf 1.8 before, nice firm ride... Depends on whether u like to drive or to be driven

I would not compare conti mpvs with jap mpv, coz test the stream before and its way too light until it feels weird

Edited by Weesern

Been driving manual all my life.. except the days that I use my parents/siblings ride which are all auto/mta.

The best ride have to come from the Vectra GTS 2.2.

I like to drive, that's why I stick to manual and handling comes top on my list all the time.

After much deliberation, I come to the realize that you will never get a saloon feel for all the MPVs, well except maybe 308SW, as it's a station wagon and not a tall usual MPV. So I was very much certain about 308SW as the best compromise of MPV for the family and a sedan drive feel for me.. Sounds like a good compromise. Win-win situation.

But then, it's a half baked MPV in terms of space and room for passengers...

So since all the other MPV will not make much diff in terms of handling ( Conti MPV ), yes I know there better handling MPV, but not as good as hot hatch or sedan, I then geared more towards the one that gives the most comfort feel to the passenger.

An MPV that is designed more towards family needs and driving comfort ( smooth operator )...

So I take out the driving dynamics and gearbox requirements to be less important in the list but retain the interesting turbo charge ( supercharge ) engine at the top and with that C4 is somewhat the clear choice.

If I wait a little longer, I can have the 5008 and Fords S-MAx ( new engine ) or even a better gearbox for C4... but then C&C come up with an a very good offer and with COE cut news looming around the corner, I figured it have to be done back then.

Good thing I got the COE prior to the 40% CatA announcement.... Its beyond my budget now since the car have shot up by more than 10K!

The only setback now.. as I told my friends... I am retiring from driving.. coz, it will be a change from Spirited Driving to Gentleman Comfort Driver.

Hi all,

between opel zafira and citroen grand c4, which one you think give 'more' of everything?

the price -+ is same.

zafira and grand c4 owner, please comment about your vehicle :)

thanks for any comment/ reply

Well, I have heard that Citreon Grand C4 has more space and is more comfortable but Zafira is a successful car.

Zafira facts.

FLEX 7 seating which lot of modern cars copied, easy to use

Zafira A came 3rd in european car of the year in 2000.

Zafira A was the first sports MPV in Europe

Zafira A was the fastest MPV in Europe.

Zafira was the best selling MPV in Europe.

Only fault I have known for Zafira to have was with the Zafira B, where it burst into flames but even then its still not fully explained. My dad had a Zafira A and I also drove that for 3000 miles, was a good durable car. Then my dad drove a Zafira C for 1 month and he liked it and so did I, was comfortable and felt compact but if you want a large space MPV, go for the Citreon but if you want power and space, go for the Zafira

Edited by RohanThomas
↡ Advertisement