Car & bike engine oil mix

Sunlight

I have some leftover engine oil, maxima 5W40, from my bike and is thinking of pouring it into the car. Technically it should be ok, the car is mobil 5W50. Anyone try before?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

I have some leftover engine oil, maxima 5W40, from my bike and is thinking of pouring it into the car. Technically it should be ok, the car is mobil 5W50. Anyone try before?

Better no la....anyway nowadays engine oil are Cheap @ Hypermart. U can get those 1L engine oil less than $8+

In my opinion, technically it is NOT ok. My layman understanding is as follows:

Car engine needs "slippery-ness", but gears/transmission don't need so much slippery-ness (else you get clutch slipage). That's why in cars you have different oils for different parts of the car.

But in bikes, it's one oil for everything - gears, clutch, engine, whatever.... so they make bike oil half silppery half not slippery, slippery enough for engine and yet can prevent cluch slipage (with the help of frictional addictives). If you use this kind of oil as car engine oil, the addictives that gives frictional properties to the oil to prevent clutch slipage will not do your engine any good (remember that engine needs "slippery-ness"). As to whether it will do any harm, i do not know for sure.

as long as 4T u can mix.

bike 4T oil same vicosity is okie. even a thicker oil is okie.

bike oil is only added additive but is still the same as car oil.

No problem with using 4T bike oil(must be dual spec with API SL at least) for automotive unless you car is consuming engine oil (might damage the CAT due to higher Phos and Zinc anti-wear in bike oil). In fact, if you had modify the engine and de-cat your exhaust, then 4T would be ideal as some sort of cheapo race oil. Good for 10k oil change also.

bike to car = ok

car to bike = not ok.. the clutch plates will slip

For Car to Bike oil, choose those dual Diesel spec oil as Diesel oil and more robust without much anti-friction additives. Safe for wet clutch usage.

anyone actually pour bike engine oil into car?

We have some customers that use it due to their highly modify engine, some choose dual spec diesel engine oil also for their petrol ride.

Car oil to bike not ok, esp with bikes tat have slipper clutch. Use wrong type of oil, ur slipper clutch wil fry. But so far a few frens of mine used car oil on their bikes with no problems watsoever. I dun dare do it though.

Car oil to bike not ok, esp with bikes tat have slipper clutch. Use wrong type of oil, ur slipper clutch wil fry. But so far a few frens of mine used car oil on their bikes with no problems watsoever. I dun dare do it though.

Not all car oil are suitable, only those with diesel spec CI-4 or CI-4+ would be suitable for wet clutch system.

↡ Advertisement