Wedding dinner at expensive hotels

Vextan

For me, i pao ang bao based on how close i am to the bride or groom. If very close, i will give more even if venue is a restuarant or void deck. If not close, i don't care what venue. Usually i give $60-80 even if the venue is some 5 or 6 stars hotel.

i always feel that if you can afford to host your wedding in some posh hotel, you can afford the losses. And please do not invite friends that you are not close, sometime just for the sake of making up numbers, if you want to make money.

↡ Advertisement

sometimes i think of it..

if u wan to do it, then do a good and memorable one.

years later ppl still remember the occassion.

$$ well spent. [thumbsup]

Edited by Tleslie

For me, i pao ang bao based on how close i am to the bride or groom. If very close, i will give more even if venue is a restuarant or void deck. If not close, i don't care what venue. Usually i give $60-80 even if the venue is some 5 or 6 stars hotel.

i always feel that if you can afford to host your wedding in some posh hotel, you can afford the losses. And please do not invite friends that you are not close, sometime just for the sake of making up numbers, if you want to make money.

For me also, if very close with the couple then will give more even the venue is restaurant or church wedding.

But if not too close but still in 5 stars hotel, will give market rate.

when i was thinking of the place to hold my wedding,i was thinking of all the hotels as most of my frens are holding it.but after going to most of these hotels,i find most my frens are in debts or need to cough 2-3 times more than they expected [shakehead] .and seriously,no matter how posh the hotels or how grand the wedding,we r juz gaving the couple the blessings.after a while,who cares.worst still,1 of my fren held in 1 of those 6 star hotel then divorce in 3 years later [bigcry] .for myself,the most important thing during a wedding dinner is the food.and believe me,most of the good food cums from those top restuarant and not hotels.pple tends to remember the taste and talk about the food rather then the atmosphere.for me,i hold it in a restaurant,and to my surprise,i profited btw 5-6k.enough to cover even for my honeymoon [sunny] .like i said if u can afford it,go ahead.

when i was thinking of the place to hold my wedding,i was thinking of all the hotels as most of my frens are holding it.but after going to most of these hotels,i find most my frens are in debts or need to cough 2-3 times more than they expected [shakehead] .and seriously,no matter how posh the hotels or how grand the wedding,we r juz gaving the couple the blessings.after a while,who cares.worst still,1 of my fren held in 1 of those 6 star hotel then divorce in 3 years later [bigcry] .for myself,the most important thing during a wedding dinner is the food.and believe me,most of the good food cums from those top restuarant and not hotels.pple tends to remember the taste and talk about the food rather then the atmosphere.for me,i hold it in a restaurant,and to my surprise,i profited btw 5-6k.enough to cover even for my honeymoon [sunny] .like i said if u can afford it,go ahead.

I agree with you when you say good food are from the top restaurants and not the hotels.

But I feel ppl tends to remember where you hold the wedding more than how the food taste like.

Example from the wedding photos took during the dinner, ppl will recall from the photos for the scene and atmosphere rather than still remembering the taste of the food .

dun follow other couples...

hold it in country clubs. its more meaningful and more beautiful than hotels.

hotels designs are very sterile and boring....

country clubs have the space and senery for photo takings... best is got golf course.... alot more beautiful.

Do you all find more and more couples holding their wedding dinner at posh hotels ? I have 3 invitations to wedding dinners coming up, in Marriot Hotel, Grand Hyatt Hotel and Oriental Mandarin Hotel. First half of the year already went to one in Sentosa and another in M Hotel. Goodness me these hotels dont charge cheap hor, per table easily $1300 nett. Why nowadays couples tying the knot are so well off, or do they not mind if they cannot break even ? Is wedding dinner so important in determining how blissful a marriage is ?

no need to sponser them lah....

those not close "friends" either reject or i pay $80 only.... dun care where you hold your wedding

dun follow other couples...

hold it in country clubs. its more meaningful and more beautiful than hotels.

hotels designs are very sterile and boring....

country clubs have the space and senery for photo takings... best is got golf course.... alot more beautiful.

yes true....at my club at one deg.....every wknd sure gtot wedding...also the food good cos from Imp treasure...and good ambience [thumbsup]

chinese wedding dinner has turned into a social evil. everyone spends money, only the hotel gains. nobody really wants to go but u missed them out, they are offended. its all a big nothing show. the sooner we ditch this practice, the better.

chinese wedding dinner has turned into a social evil. everyone spends money, only the hotel gains. nobody really wants to go but u missed them out, they are offended. its all a big nothing show. the sooner we ditch this practice, the better.

I agree....it is about saving the bloody face of the in-laws [furious][furious]

i concur!!!!!!!! bloody waste of time & money...I dunno why people bother. BUt I had one too at the expense of frd's & family...had to please my Dad ...who was worried abt 'face'. Sigh.........my old man ah hard to please...

• Praise 1

I dont agree, i got one friend who got marriaged without the wedding dinner. guess what? during chinese new year, everybody was wondering why did he bring a woman and coming to the house, end up he have to explan that she is the wife and he got scolding from the elders for not holding a wedding dinner.

Wedding dinner is for your distant relative and close friends, if u intend it for your normal friends then it will be a social evil.

simple ones are okay but in Singapore, most wedding dinner have grown to unrealistic proportion and the whole thing has got a life of its own, creating a vicious cycle.