Wedding dinner at expensive hotels

Vextan

If hubby and wifey are of one mind, everything can work :)

No sensible Parents / PIL will want to break out a family by insisting on their thinking ...

Ask parents or in laws to underwrite the losses, if any. Don't think any sensible parents will want their kids to start a family with shits up to their nostrils but I know some do for their own swollen face (or is it faeces?).
↡ Advertisement

wah capella. think even the lunch must be around >200/table/pax now.

It was $1800++/pax 5 years ago at dinner.

I would bao $200 if just a normal acquaintance. If more buddy then $250.

quite sad that your buddy only worth $50 more  [laugh]

Another interesting show to watch is 90 Day Fiance, on Eve, Ch 425 on Starhub.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/90_Day_Fiance

90 Day Fiance is an American reality television series on TLC that debuted January 12, 2014.[2] The series follows couples who have 90 days to decide to marry before their 90-day K-1 visas (available uniquely to foreign fiances of American citizens) expire. The foreign fiancé travel to the States to live with their prospective American fiancé. The couples have to marry in 90 days or else the foreigner must immediately return to their countries. The couples are faced with language barriers, culture shock, the stigma of being thought of as a "mail order bride" as well as skeptical friends and family.

haha. i have given more before, but usually not inclusive of returning the angbao they give me for being brother or what also lor.

No one talk about the betrothal cash gift?

Does your parents pay or ownself pay?

My MIL asked for total about 10k which I came out from my own pocket.

Besides the banquet, i think a lot of incidentals come up to a lot of cash.

e.g. wedding gown (wife picked cheapest package consisting of 2 gowns, flower for car and groom suit) also come to 2k plus.

red packets for all the helpers, actual day photography 1.5k (don't have video or pre wedding shoot), etc

My own wedding scrimped and did without the hotel banquet. Did in church with buffet lunch. Even used and drove my own car as wedding car.

Edited by Hummer

Sometimes its not the couple that want it. The parents want it. I had 2 friends who originally planned for a small wedding reception with ROM and everything else done in one afternoon, but their parents objected to it...

Some people don't mind to offend their parents and parents-in-law but there will be quite a number who will give in to the pressure.

My own wedding, my parents-in-law wanted an expensive wedding at a hotel with many many tables. I told them I cannot afford and only can do at small hotel or restaurant for family and some close friends. They got angry and insisted on their way. So, I told them, no wedding dinner lo. My wife agreed and we just do the ROM only. After that, they changed their minds and say so long got a small banquet for relatives can already. But this method only works if the wife to be agrees. Lol.

Are your in laws Cantonese?

Are your in laws Cantonese?

not necessarily it's a cantonese thing.

My mum actually told me can don't have too many tables but must have a more atas hotel  [laugh]

Lol sometimes u dunno how thin face people can be, even though my mum is by nature super thick skin one.

I support, no meaning, only hotels laughing to the bank, I rather have a pool side lunch whereby a reasonable number of guests can mingle around with the host. Banquet wedding dinner these days machiam like staged fashion show, hardly get to talk to the couple.

Mine was a pool side dinner of 15 tables. We got to mingle around, children playing with balloons and bubbles, nice music playing in the background and night sky stars shining bright. Luckily it didn't rain if not all gone case [laugh]

not necessarily it's a cantonese thing.

My mum actually told me can don't have too many tables but must have a more atas hotel [laugh]

Lol sometimes u dunno how thin face people can be, even though my mum is by nature super thick skin one.

I know. I was just stereotyping [:p]
  • Praise 1

Ask parents or in laws to underwrite the losses, if any. Don't think any sensible parents will want their kids to start a family with shits up to their nostrils but I know some do for their own swollen face (or is it faeces?).

Not like that also la. Why should parents or in laws pay?

I insisted on a small scale and "cheapo" wedding and my parents counter was Shang-rila paid by them. I rejected it also.

e.g. wedding gown (wife picked cheapest package consisting of 2 gowns, flower for car and groom suit) also come to 2k plus.

red packets for all the helpers, actual day photography 1.5k (don't have video or pre wedding shoot), etc

My own wedding scrimped and did without the hotel banquet. Did in church with buffet lunch. Even used and drove my own car as wedding car.

Is it a must to give dowry? I didn't give and in-laws didn't ask.

I insisted on a small scale and "cheapo" wedding and my parents counter was Shang-rila paid by them. I rejected it also.

Is it a must to give dowry? I didn't give and in-laws didn't ask.

No idea. Just wondering if it is still a practice here.

Parents or in laws would pay if they are very loaded and want face value. Lol.

Until now i still dont know how much to bao when i go capella.  [confused]

someone already said that its $230/pax for lunch liao mah.

I also want face mah.

Till now, I am very proud that I spent only 110+ on my wedding ring set. (no engagement ring).

20 yrs ago, when I got married, my In-Laws returned all the betrothal cash gifts as well as all the ang baos collected under their relatives to help us to pay for the banquet.

In the end, we got enough ang pao back to pay for the dinner as well as our 2 weeks honeymoon in New Zealand. We are very grateful for their thots and we vow to do the same to our own children wedding. In fact I already told them don't bother with banquet. Too over price. Just make sure you are not in any debt. What a way to start a married life with debts!!!!!!

• Praise 1

Typo izzit? [laugh]

Dollars la. When people ask, I show them the website link on couple labs  [laugh]

Speaking of "face", won't it be more embarrassing if people know that your wedding is paid for by your parents?

Dollars la. When people ask, I show them the website link on couple labs  [laugh]

Speaking of "face", won't it be more embarrassing if people know that your wedding is paid for by your parents?

Nobody know if your wedding is paid by who. Lol. People only know that you have your wedding at some very atas and expensive hotel.

↡ Advertisement