Wedding dinner at expensive hotels

Vextan

Now that's nothing...

The uber rich actually fly their guests to places like Phuket or some exotic place for their weddings...

Air fare and hotel all paid for [dizzy]

but not necessarily more meaningful than one at HDB void deck.

↡ Advertisement

ya man.....

for 2 years after ROM.... my folks keep telling me dun need dinner.....

then 1 month from our church wedding..... when I just back from a business trip..... folk tell me better to have dinner... same day as Church wedding....

I was like.... Ok..... though its 1 month away nia.....

"if its ur wish.... so how many tables u want ar?"

dad answer non-chalantly....

"50 should be ok" [shocked][shocked]

Do you all find more and more couples holding their wedding dinner at posh hotels ? I have 3 invitations to wedding dinners coming up, in Marriot Hotel, Grand Hyatt Hotel and Oriental Mandarin Hotel. First half of the year already went to one in Sentosa and another in M Hotel. Goodness me these hotels dont charge cheap hor, per table easily $1300 nett. Why nowadays couples tying the knot are so well off, or do they not mind if they cannot break even ? Is wedding dinner so important in determining how blissful a marriage is ?

Most likely trying to outdo each other. For mine, I try not to use the same restaurant as my friends who had invited me to theirs.

People will not remember you for inviting them to any expensive wedding dinners.

If the ambience or food is good, people will just tell their friends xxx hotel's reception is highly recommended.

Nowhere will your name be mentioned.

End of the day, you're just helping the hotel/restaurant doing free advert and just for a few hours of glory.

but not necessarily more meaningful than one at HDB void deck.

Attended once when my Regular got married using the basketball court as the wedding ground. It's really lively and fun, pull-no-punches kind of night. No need to be restrained like in hotels. [thumbsup]

But I don't think my parents, my gf and her parent will agree to that! [shakehead]

Attended once when my Regular got married using the basketball court as the wedding ground. It's really lively and fun, pull-no-punches kind of night. No need to be restrained like in hotels. [thumbsup]

But I don't think my parents, my gf and her parent will agree to that! [shakehead]

it can be very posh or it can be not.

but it should be meaningful and make sense to the couple

otherwise posh or not also not happy

its actually false economy if anyone thinks they are going to 'make' in a wedding dinner. Assuming you collected enough angpao from your frens and relatives to break even. Then u pay the hotel. But later in ur life, u have to attend their dinner and all will be paid back one by one unless u r totally LCL. Then the money goes back to hotels again. Unless ur parents or urself is in some special commercial position or influence, then u can really expect that big angpao to come from somewhere. Even so, there is always a debt to be paid, a favour to return.

I agree very much with Throttle's idea of a dinner w/o expecting angpaos. it will make dinners more sincere and avoid growing into a over lavish monster that taxes on everyone involved.

Edited by Bavarian

thats what i did for my wedding.

found an appropriate venue (not hotel)

brought in the decor, the music, the food, and cigars.

never expect anything, just invite people who really wanted to come.

so only about 160 all in. Event alone cost about $20k which was still affordable.

anyway singaporeans quite automatic. even when you say no need monetray gift just come, they will bring angpao. so surely breakeven at the end of the day. even if dont breakeven, wont really lose. no need to worry, enjoy your wedding.

Edited by Throttle2

thats what i did for my wedding.

found an appropriate venue (not hotel)

brought in the decor, the music, the food, and cigars.

never expect anything, just invite people who really wanted to come.

so only about 160 all in. Event alone cost about $20k which was still affordable.

anyway singaporeans quite automatic. even when you say no need monetray gift just come, they will bring angpao. so surely breakeven at the end of the day. even if dont breakeven, wont really lose. no need to worry, enjoy your wedding.

Mine a bit different, i book the function hall at suntech city 40 table (relative alone already 20 tables.) . the give me 2 day free hotel suit stay. cost about 28K, invite Relatives, close friends and Colleague. also break even with some to spare. the only money i loss is at wedding album but after 4~5 years, still got ppl want to see so i think more worth it than other ppl.

Marriage = $$ making!!!

Power!!

My case in parents want, in laws want, me anything, wife dun want... end of the day black face all the way...

Got make $ or not also not impt...

Can make money mei? Unless ur guest list got many well to do generous guest. Depend on ur network one la. If ur friend and guest many poor ppl, how can they fork out so much money for ang bao, u can cover already tao chio already.

Edited by Curahee

Can make money mei? Unless ur guest list got many well to do generous guest. Depend on ur network one la. If ur friend and guest many poor ppl, how can they fork out so much money for ang bao, u can cover already tao chio already.

Usually direct relatives like uncles and aunties are the ones that will give big ang paos.

Actually after factoring in everything, it's difficult to make much, I only got abt $2k excess.

Usually direct relatives like uncles and aunties are the ones that will give big ang paos.

Actually after factoring in everything, it's difficult to make much, I only got abt $2k excess.

if you have colleagues that are from philippines, china at wedding etc....then sure make a loss.

i dun know for the rest,as for me,i will always check with the rest how they find or rate rather the food :D .

for me and friends, we'll rate the wedding based on the number of chio [gorgeous] we see. Always like to volunteer to man the reception table... hahaha [sly]

for me and friends, we'll rate the wedding based on the number of chio [gorgeous] we see. Always like to volunteer to man the reception table... hahaha [sly]

wow thanks for the tips.i think thats a great way to see [gorgeous] .i will volunteer myself for my frens wedding.

can... my elder sis made about 12k from the wedding after expenses. Depends on who your guests are, you can either have profit, suffer loss or break even

↡ Advertisement