Foglights on during clear weather..

Icyfreakass

I always smile to myself when I see people switch on fog lights when 1 of the foglights is not working.

1 eye dragon. [dizzy]

↡ Advertisement

I notice there is an increasing trend in which driver switch on their fog lamps, and turn off their headlights. Is it considered "IN" thing to do? I must say such action is very disturbing to other road users.

maybe theywere thinking as long as got lights on in front for ppl to notice, who cares about headlight or foglights? lol

got 2 torchlights used as headlight also can la...lol

Neutral Newbie

i am sure singaporeans dont on foggies to have better vision, its for the looks,

and i must say foggies sure look much better than just pole lights and headlights

in fact i think foggies without headlights n just pole lights, looks best

LTA stipulate that foggies can only be on when pole lights are on, never say must on together with headlights

Encountered a white chevy cruze hogging the 1st lane of AYE yesterday evening with front and rear fogs on full time in perfectly good weather.

Hogging the 1st lane is bad enough, you have to let me endure the eye piercing bright red rear fogs for the duration that I was stuck behind you. The next opportunity I have to change lane to the 2nd lane and move in back to the 1st lane with the big gap you left in front, I took it.

Now, when I filter into the 1st lane in front of you, I turned on and off my rear fog for a couple of times to remind you that your rear fogs are on and maybe you forgot about it. Then I switch it off and went on my way putting the issue behind me.

Who knows what you are thinking, just before the MCE tunnel you cut 3 lanes to muscle your way into the 1 car space in front of me and tapped the brakes. That was when I remembered you are the idiot who had and still having the front and rear foglights on earlier.

If you are reading this, you are one sad egoistic low self esteemed inconsiderate sorry excuse of a driver. 

My beef is with people who turn on their REAR fog lights in clear weather. This confuses drivers with the brake lights. Rear fogs are supposed to be behind the driver (one side only). Some have put in an extra bulb as on the LHD version to have 2 rear fogs making the problem worse. Front fogs are supposed to shine down and spread to the side to prevent glare reflected on the driver (in a real fog/snowstorm) so they don't really bother much. If fact they glare less than normal driving lights. I think people's complaints here are due to these modified lighting and not factory fitted ones.

post-24957-0-95751500-1460455378_thumb.gif

Edited by Vratenza
  • Praise 1

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT FOG LAMPS

Is your vehicle fitted with fog lamps? Do you know when to switch them on?

Fog lamps can only be used during heavy downpours or in hazy conditions. During adverse weather conditions, fog lamps can improve the visibility of the road and other vehicles for drivers. That is why, since 1994, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) has allowed the installation of fog lamps on vehicles so long as such lamps comply with the requisite safety standards and are installed properly. 

However, the use of front and rear fog lamps during clear weather conditions, be it in the day or night, can irritate or cause discomfort to other road users. 

When weather conditions are clear at night, switching on the vehicle headlamps would be sufficient to enable the driver to see ahead. Front fog lamps would not further enhance visibility of the road in clear weather conditions. This is because the area illuminated by fog lamps is at a shorter distance when compared with the light projected from vehicle headlamps. As for the rear fog lamps, switching them on unnecessarily may confuse motorists driving behind you as the intense red light may be mistaken as brake lights.

Using your vehicle's fog lamps indiscriminately is an offence. So let's be considerate towards other road users and use fog lamps responsibly!

0.gif 0.gif

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onemotoring/en/lta_information_guidelines/modifications_and_vehoffences/modification_guide/what_you_need_to_know.html

• Praise 1

I have an issue with the goondu drivers who turn on the front fogs without realising that their rear fog light also comes on.

On some makes, the operation of the front and rear fogs are tied together. Other makes have a switch that allows the rear to be turned on provided the front fogs are on. 

Factory fitted front fogs are usually pointed down and don't cause that much glare. The rear fog is the one that is pointed directly at traffic behind and it is blinding especially in clear weather.

Unless it's foggy or in a heavy downpour, or if you're off-roading on some track, keep them off. 

• Praise 1

Recently saw more and more road users turning on foglights for no reason.

Very blinding. Especially those hu change them to those super bright ones.

Any bros have similar experiences.

Once a while, have to work the fog lights a bit

TAXI - usually those older version ones will have extra glaring light and I always keep my sight out of them by changing lanes.............or did they adjust the angle higher so as to warn others that they are coming?

The old Toyota Crown has a knob to adjust the headlights higher or lower. Many taxi driver intentionally adjust it high. Don't know why they do it. To irritate other road users I guess.

I have an issue with the goondu drivers who turn on the front fogs without realising that their rear fog light also comes on.

On some makes, the operation of the front and rear fogs are tied together. Other makes have a switch that allows the rear to be turned on provided the front fogs are on. 

Factory fitted front fogs are usually pointed down and don't cause that much glare. The rear fog is the one that is pointed directly at traffic behind and it is blinding especially in clear weather.

Unless it's foggy or in a heavy downpour, or if you're off-roading on some track, keep them off. 

be consoled that most of these fog-light-drivers are just a bunch of losers. 

they think the extra lights look very "sart". Actually they are just burning more fuel/electricity and maybe they don't even know it.

My beef is with people who turn on their REAR fog lights in clear weather. This confuses drivers with the brake lights. Rear fogs are supposed to be behind the driver (one side only). Some have put in an extra bulb as on the LHD version to have 2 rear fogs making the problem worse. Front fogs are supposed to shine down and spread to the side to prevent glare reflected on the driver (in a real fog/snowstorm) so they don't really bother much. If fact they glare less than normal driving lights. I think people's complaints here are due to these modified lighting and not factory fitted ones.

In my humble opinion, factory fitted front fog lights did not disturb me much.

I leave it to these motorists to use their front fogs as their wish, i am just a road user, not a traffic police/LTA.

But Yes, its the REAR fog lights which can be

- irritating/blinding

- confuse other motorist

Pls do not activate this rear foggies unnecessarily.

I just can't think of when one would ever need to use the rear fogs for safety reasons, to water off tailgates, maybe.

Hence when I am behind someone who keeps his rear fogs on, I am always tempted to high beam.

And many a times, I do

SMRT Prius Hybrid taxis are one of the main culprit. It is not smart enough to detect clear or bad weather.

Edited by Kangadrool

Here is an article I found from One.Motoring on Fog Lights.

Is your vehicle fitted with fog lamps? Do you know when to switch them on?

Fog lamps can only be used during heavy downpours or in hazy conditions. During adverse weather conditions, fog lamps can improve the visibility of the road and other vehicles for drivers. That is why, since 1994, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) has allowed the installation of fog lamps on vehicles so long as such lamps comply with the requisite safety standards and are installed properly. 

However, the use of front and rear fog lamps during clear weather conditions, be it in the day or night, can irritate or cause discomfort to other road users. 

When weather conditions are clear at night, switching on the vehicle headlamps would be sufficient to enable the driver to see ahead. Front fog lamps would not further enhance visibility of the road in clear weather conditions. This is because the area illuminated by fog lamps is at a shorter distance when compared with the light projected from vehicle headlamps. As for the rear fog lamps, switching them on unnecessarily may confuse motorists driving behind you as the intense red light may be mistaken as brake lights.
what_you_need_to_know.MainPar.70731.Imag
Using your vehicle's fog lamps indiscriminately is an offence. So let's be considerate towards other road users and use fog lamps responsibly!